Are any of you interested in Sci-Fi...esp. movies about Time Travel and Consciousness

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hey Y'all!

I never used to care for Sci-Fi at all. But over the years I've really started to enjoy movies about time travel, altered consciousness and reincarnation. I like the idea of second chances and also plot lines where altered states (such as a seizure) have a deeper meaning (rather than a bump on the head and terrible headache). Guilty pleasure :)

What about you?

Do you like Sci-Fi?

Why?

Do you feel it relates to your epilepsy?

I've always watched shows like Stargate SG1, The walking dead and such

I do like scifi, it's been my favourite fiction genre for 3 decades now, and yup time travel/parallel existences/dimensions etc are all pretty cool plot lines I like. Not my favourite favourites though.

I was always into science even before that so I guess for me it's just a natural progression of liking real science.

I experienced altered states through drugs a long while before I developed E, so if anything it's that which might increase my appreciation of those kind of plot devices.

Usually anything to do with E in tv/films is woefully miss-represented :(

I love Sci-Fi! My favorites are Sans Soleil, La Jetee, the Alien films, Bladerunner, Star Wars (the old ones), District 9, Solaris (1972 version- I haven't seen the new version), Contact, Gattaca... I could go on. There are still many I haven't seen. I love Philip K. Dick and the revised Battlestar Galactica. :)

Hm, as far as epilepsy and science fiction, are we talking about representations of epileptics in the genre or the epileptic cyborg?

Sci-Fi movies have always been fun for me.

The obvious ones are Star Trek & Star Wars. But my favorite is "Back To The Future".
A couple others I enjoy are The Terminator movie series and The Net (1995).

The Net came out when the internet was fresh and new. It showed how dangerous it could be. It was futuristic when it came out, now it's reality.

Like Garbo, I like the original Star Wars trilogy(I was obsessed when I was a kid :) ), Gattaca (awesome), Blade Runner, Contact, and Aliens (I haven't seen the other Alien films). Other favorites include Close Encounters of the Third Kind, The Philadelphia Experiment, the first Terminator movie. I enjoyed Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but prefer the BBC TV series (delightfully cheesy :) ) Dr. Who is a long time favorite. Some of the episodes play with time travel really well, usually it's just a device for setting the story in the past or future, but whatever, it's usually great fun. The British version of Life on Mars is great. It's part cop show, part science fiction...sort of. It definitely plays with the idea of perception. And of course the Matrix...well, the first one definitely and second one somewhat. Which reminds me of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure - a lot of fun :D

Last edited:
Like Garbo, I like the original Star Wars trilogy(I was obsessed when I was a kid :) ), Gattaca (awesome), Blade Runner, Contact, and Aliens (I haven't seen the other Alien films). Other favorites include Close Encounters of the Third Kind, The Philadelphia Experiment, the first Terminator movie. I enjoyed Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but prefer the BBC TV series (delightfully cheesy :) ) Dr. Who is a long time favorite. Some of the episodes play with time travel really well, usually it's just a device for setting the story in the past or future, but whatever, it's usually great fun. The British version of Life on Mars is great. It's part cop show, part science fiction...sort of. It definitely plays with the idea of perception. And of course the Matrix...well, the first one definitely and second one somewhat. Which reminds me of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure - a lot of fun :D

That's a great list! A number of my friends are avid fans of Dr. Who, but I (sadly) have not given the show the time. :(

Also, Wall-E (great!) and 2001 (hmmm.... not a fan, surprisingly).

The Net came out when the internet was fresh and new.

I'd been on the net 9 years before that running BBS- and I'm only part of the 2nd online generation. The Internet was fresh and new in the 60s.

Even the web was made public 3 years before 'The Net ' came out.

Time flies, huh?

That's a great list! A number of my friends are avid fans of Dr. Who, but I (sadly) have not given the show the time. :(

Also, Wall-E (great!) and 2001 (hmmm.... not a fan, surprisingly).

Dr. Who can be an acquired taste. :D I've tried to get some friends to watch and their reaction is often, "What the...?" It can really come across as cheesy, and it often is, but the best ones are also moving and thought provoking. But mostly they're just fun. I haven't seen the latest season though, but I've heard very mixed reviews.

I missed Wall-E, maybe that's one I'll look into. I've seen bits and pieces of 2001. It's visually stunning, but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe it's the Keppra affecting my attention span. :D I might try watching it from the beginning one day, but I'm in no hurry.

I'd been on the net 9 years before that running BBS- and I'm only part of the 2nd online generation. The Internet was fresh and new in the 60s.

Even the web was made public 3 years before 'The Net ' came out.

Time flies, huh?

Yeah I know, but the idea of someone living completely dependent on their computer was a new way of thinking for many. Working from home while using your office computer. Ordering takeout, groceries, airline tickets, etc. It was all new to many people.

Working from home while using your office computer

Lol that reminds me of those reeely cheesy IBM/Commodore/Wang adverts in the 80s - announcing the arrival of the paperless office, and all the commuting etc :)

To get back to the conciousness in scifi topic- Limitless (2011) is one of my favourites in this regard.

It needs a bit of a tighter plot, but it's a pretty enjoyable film :)

As for time travel, The Terminator - obviously- but Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel (2009) is a film that genuinely gets you thinking about it..

Last edited:
Dr. Who can be an acquired taste. :D I've tried to get some friends to watch and their reaction is often, "What the...?" It can really come across as cheesy, and it often is, but the best ones are also moving and thought provoking. But mostly they're just fun. I haven't seen the latest season though, but I've heard very mixed reviews.

I missed Wall-E, maybe that's one I'll look into. I've seen bits and pieces of 2001. It's visually stunning, but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe it's the Keppra affecting my attention span. :D I might try watching it from the beginning one day, but I'm in no hurry.

My friend openly admitted it was cheesy. Ha! Then again, I was super into Star Trek Voyager when I was little for the cheese, but also because of Janeway.

Wall-E is really great and I highly recommend it.

I personally think 2001 is overrated and dated. Just personally, I like The Tree of Life's space scenes a lot better (also better than Gravity's).

Oh! Another Sci-Fi film... The City of Lost Children (and probably Delicatessen)! The French do make weirdly great Sci-Fi films.

I think a lot of our appreciation really does depend on when/what time in our life we first saw something.

Take Dr Who- if you weren't a wee nipper hiding behind the sofa from the Daleks 30-40 years ago, it's very unlikely you'll like it quite as much, being introduced to the new one now as an adult.

But at the end of the day, we all have our own likes and dislikes, and that's good :)

Last edited:
TimeCop was a decent movie. It was about a world full of time travel. People were free to time travel anywhere as long as they didn't change the past. Those that broke the rules had to deal with the "TimeCops".

I think a lot of our appreciation really does depend on when/what time in our life we first saw something.

Take Dr Who- if you weren't a wee nipper hiding behind the sofa from the Daleks 30-40 years ago, it's very unlikely you'll like it quite as much, being introduced to the new one now as an adult.

But at the end of the day, we all have our own likes and dislikes, and that's good :)

I think many Americans discovered Dr. Who in their teens or twenties. Heck, my dad got into the Tom Baker episodes in his fourties. :)

I'll date myself here, but I started watching in my mid-teens in the early 1980's. I think Peter Davison had taken over by then, but they were still showing the Tom Baker years here.

Maybe if the first episode a tried watching had been different, I might have rolled my eyes and forgotten it forever. But the first one I saw was the first with Leela. She was so cool: smart, courageous both physically and morally, and kick-@#$. :D But more important was Tom Bakers as the Dr. This was the first episode of a new season (series) and the first with a new companion; it was as if they were re-introducing the character, so i didn't feel too lost. Anyway, the Dr. was so wonderfully wacky and disarming, offering jelly babies to people who had weapons aimed at him. I'd never seen anything like it. :) I was immediately hooked.

I've since met others who discovered DW as a teen or adult. I think many Americans, like me, decide to find some of the more outlandish aspects charming rather than silly. Despite being basically a kiddie show with goofy monsters and such, it's still usually much more clever than many American sf shows that take themselves far more seriously. Especially the new Dr. Who episodes from 2005 to present.

My friend openly admitted it was cheesy. Ha! Then again, I was super into Star Trek Voyager when I was little for the cheese, but also because of Janeway.

Wall-E is really great and I highly recommend it.

I personally think 2001 is overrated and dated. Just personally, I like The Tree of Life's space scenes a lot better (also better than Gravity's).

Oh! Another Sci-Fi film... The City of Lost Children (and probably Delicatessen)! The French do make weirdly great Sci-Fi films.

The French make weirdly great everything, don't they? :) I saw City of Lost Children and Delicatessen at university. I know I enjoyed them, but unfortunately, I saw them at a time when I was watching many, many foreign films. That's a good thing, but there were so many in such a short period of time that they've all gotten a bit mixed up in my tiny little brain. :p

There were some pretty dire Dr Who eps in the 80s- but then again, I suppose it's all down to taste.

I'm chuffed your dad go into it in his 40s :)

Yeah, Tom Baker has definitely done a lot to bring in new fans over the years!

Maybe Dr Who wasn't the best example I could give- but it was the very first scifi I ever saw, as a young child, and yeah, scared me witless lol. It does seem to still roll on though, gaining new fans- when all logic suggests it shouldn't :p

But of course, it's all individual taste again, and how it compares to the other available scifi. As you say, if the rest are cr*p, then at least Dr Who with it's quite original flair and writing (and of course nutters like Tom Baker) will blow anything else away- however cheesy it gets :)

I think I was looking back to the first time I saw 2001, Akira, Ghost in the Shell and many more (should have used those as examples instead :roflmao:). I was still quite young then, and they had a very profound affect on me- and certainly did a lot to keep me glued firmly on to scifi all my life.

Bigman, I think Timecop was very underrated when it first came out- many people passed it over as a cheesy action flick, without actually examining it's quite original background story.

So a +1 for Timecop from me too :)

Last edited:
I thought I was into Sci-Fi, but after reading these posts, it's obvious I've missed a lot of stuff.
I like Dune, Star Trek, Star Wars, Quantum Leap (tv), both BattleStar Galacticas, The Time Machine.
I've seen Wall-E, Terminator 1 and 2 the Alien series, and I'm a Whovian.

The French make weirdly great everything, don't they? :) I saw City of Lost Children and Delicatessen at university. I know I enjoyed them, but unfortunately, I saw them at a time when I was watching many, many foreign films. That's a good thing, but there were so many in such a short period of time that they've all gotten a bit mixed up in my tiny little brain. :p

That always seems to happen, doesn't it?

I do recommend it-- and it's easily accessible-- La Jetee, which sort of birthed many very famous Sci-Fi films such as Terminator, 12 Monkeys, The Time Traveler's Wife, etc. It's very short and a little strange, but it deals with memory, time travel, and some sort of trauma to the brain. Plus, it's French!

I'm linking it here: La Jetee.

You know what we haven't talked about?

Ghostbusters!

Back
Top Bottom