Are any of you interested in Sci-Fi...esp. movies about Time Travel and Consciousness

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

There were some pretty dire Dr Who eps in the 80s- but then again, I suppose it's all down to taste.

I'm chuffed your dad go into it in his 40s :)

Yeah, Tom Baker has definitely done a lot to bring in new fans over the years!

Maybe Dr Who wasn't the best example I could give- but it was the very first scifi I ever saw, as a young child, and yeah, scared me witless lol. It does seem to still roll on though, gaining new fans- when all logic suggests it shouldn't :p

But of course, it's all individual taste again, and how it compares to the other available scifi. As you say, if the rest are cr*p, then at least Dr Who with it's quite original flair and writing (and of course nutters like Tom Baker) will blow anything else away- however cheesy it gets :)

I think I was looking back to the first time I saw 2001, Akira, Ghost in the Shell and many more (should have used those as examples instead :roflmao:). I was still quite young then, and they had a very profound affect on me- and certainly did a lot to keep me glued firmly on to scifi all my life.

Bigman, I think Timecop was very underrated when it first came out- many people passed it over as a cheesy action flick, without actually examining it's quite original background story.

So a +1 for Timecop from me too :)

One of the articles I'm reading talks about Ghost in the Shell as well as Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and apparently Ghost in the Shell references many famous dead and living academics and scholars. And I'm like, "should I watch this?"

I have sadly never seem Timecop. :(

The first GITS is looking a bit long in the tooth now, but is an incredible film- I cannot recommend it highly enough. That, and Akira were my introduction to proper anime, and both completely blew me away as a young teen.

You're right about the references/homages, even the title is in homage to A. Koestler's The Ghost In The Machine, as this was the main inspiration for it.

There are the 3 GITS films, a 2 series episodic based in the alternate world of the third, and now we're halfway through a new alt. world episodic; GITS: Arise.

Awesome awesome awesome :)

Last edited:
There used to be tv shows like One Step Beyond, Night Gallery, Twilight Zone, Lost in Space (ultimate cheese) and one other.
Then there were movies like It, and Them. More like fear of the atom bomb movies in my opinion.

Hehehe yeah *totally* There's a whole swathe of films thinly veiled as 'alien/ufo/radioactive monster' that were basically about fear of the bomb and/or Soviets.

One film that uses that fear, but with a positive message, is The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951).

In which an alien comes to visit and tell us we should be peaceful or be obliterated by aliens getting worried of our stupidity (now we have atomic weapons). Unfortunately the military attacks him, and his all-powerful robot kicks off lol

A very mature comment on the state of humanity, a lot different from the others at the time.

Probably my favourite from that period..

Last edited:
There were some pretty dire Dr Who eps in the 80s- but then again, I suppose it's all down to taste.

I'm chuffed your dad go into it in his 40s :)

Yeah, Tom Baker has definitely done a lot to bring in new fans over the years!

:D It was Leela who first caught Dad's attention, but it was Tom Baker's Dr who made him a fan.

Back then, DW came on during the early evening when the news was on. My dad usually watched the news as soon as he got home from work. But one day when he came in and DW was on, I grumbled that I would change the channel (with a heavy, put-upon sigh, the way only a teenager can). But just then, Leela in her little leather dress came on screen, and Dad decided he could watch the news at 10:00. :D But he soon became a fan of Tom Baker so even after Louise Jamison (?) left the show, he continued to enjoy Dr. Who. At least until Baker left.

Oh yeah, the eighties were pretty bad. :p I liked Peter Davison (and not just because he was cute), and Teegan (though she could be annoying) and Nyssa, and Adric, but once they left I lost interest. Then Colin Baker just completely ruined it for me. But it wasn't really his fault, it was the producers'. Oh, well.

And yes, I know, the whole thing is cheesy even in the best of times. But I enjoy it when the right people are involved. :)

Last edited:
That always seems to happen, doesn't it?

I do recommend it-- and it's easily accessible-- La Jetee, which sort of birthed many very famous Sci-Fi films such as Terminator, 12 Monkeys, The Time Traveler's Wife, etc. It's very short and a little strange, but it deals with memory, time travel, and some sort of trauma to the brain. Plus, it's French!

I'm linking it here: La Jetee.

You know what we haven't talked about?

Ghostbusters!

Thanks for the link to La Jetee! I have it bookmarked and will watch when I have some time when I know I won't be interrupted. :)

I never really got into Ghostbusters. :/ I think it was one of those cases where everyone kept raving about it and I went in with unrealistic expectations. Plus I can be a bit of a contrarian. :D

:D It was Leela who first caught Dad's attention

Just like Pan's People got a lot of dads watching Top Of The Pops :roflmao:

Then Colin Baker just completely ruined it for me. But it wasn't really his fault, it was the producers'. Oh, well.

Indeed. Colin Baker was bad, but it was Sylvester McCoy that finally ruined it for me lol

And yes, I know, the whole thing is cheesy even in the best of times. But I enjoy it when the right people are involved. :)

Nothing wrong with a bit of cheese :)

Why, when they finally get a good actor, do they get a lousy actor?

Thanks for the link to La Jetee! I have it bookmarked and will watch when I have some time when I know I won't be interrupted. :)

I never really got into Ghostbusters. :/ I think it was one of those cases where everyone kept raving about it and I went in with unrealistic expectations. Plus I can be a bit of a contrarian. :D

I hope you enjoy it! It's... interesting, to say the least. ;)

Understandable! It's a personal childhood fave, but I understand where you're coming from.

Oh, I remembered another film (and book-- it's my signature): Never Let Me Go. Similar to Blade Runner, it's about clones.

The Remains Of The Day :)

I haven't seen Never let Me Go, so that's another one to add to my ever growing 'to watch' list lol

The Remains Of The Day :)

I haven't seen Never let Me Go, so that's another one to add to my ever growing 'to watch' list lol

:) The film and book adaptations of Remains are pretty great, too. Ishiguro has a new book coming out in March, I think?

I think so- I'd have to check, it was in an article before christmas lol

I know the film 12 Monkeys was mentioned, but has anyone been watching the new tv series based on it? Any thoughts?

I realise it probably wont live up to the film, but if it's not too bad I'll get the episodes and do a bingewatch at some point (lots of stuff already on my 'to watch' list lol).

I haven't seen it.
1) I usually wait for a friend recommendation.
2) shows based on movies usually flop unless it is well written.

I quite liked The Sarah Connor Chronicles- when they said they were doing a show based on Terminator everyone was like WTF?! But it was pretty good.

It'd built up quite a big audience before they decided to axe it (obviously not big enough though lol).

I can see 12 Monkeys being just as good- on a smallish budget too- but then I'm a dreamer :roflmao:

Last edited:
Apparently there is a new sci-fi movie coming out called Ex Machina, although I'm always hesitant when machines are portrayed as less noteworthy subjects. I just hate that cyborgs tend to be easy scapegoat enemies. :( Anyway, it does look interesting and really beautifully made!

:agree

Ok, now I feel at home! I love Sci-Fi! Have read and watched since 9 or 10!

I tend to go for the end of the world scenarios like in "Omega Man" or the remake "I am Legend". The walking dead and Resident Evil movies are similar. Stephen King's, The Stand was made into a mini series that I loved.

My favs have to be, 5th Element, Matrix, Blade Runner. I loved Contact, Gravity and so many others. I also have a fondness for fantasy so Harry Potter, many of the super hero movies and Life on Mars (British one).
Road Warrior, Johnny Mnemonic, Night Watch, Day Watch, I could continue...

Why? Probably your idea of 2nd chances. Our world seems destined to self destruction, so I like the idea of a small band of survivors making a go of it.

I have always liked the idea that our differences make us special. Altered states of consciousness...

I know there have been movies etc with that theme, Can't think of many right now.

Great thread, Thank you for starting!

Last edited:
I recently watched The Last Year at Marienbad (L'Année dernière à Marienbad), which has ties to Sci-Fi cinema, including this great review, "it's a nightmarish SciFi film." Ha! It's interesting, deals with time travel (maybe?), or at least remembering/forgetting, and maybe ghosts. The Shining was heavily influenced by it.

I love it, but I can see how many don't or are aggravated by it.

Also, since we were talking about Ishiguro above, I'm about 120 pages into The Buried Giant.

I love sci-fi. I'm impatiently waiting to become a cyborg. I also have a fascination with the X-Files. It's my ring tone.

Back
Top Bottom