Bomb threats in high schools

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
What is it with all the bomb threats in high schools lately?????

Here in the US, I don't know if it's all over the world too, almost every day on the news there is another school who has had a bomb threat. They are finding some sort of note or something that is wrote on a wall saying there is a bomb in the building.

The kids are ushered out and police with all sorts of padded gear come in with bomb smelling dogs to search the school to find out if there is really a bomb in it.

The kids are then sent home for the rest of the day and usually have the next day off also because they haven't completely made sure that there isn't a bomb in the school or they think that the kids will be to afraid to come back the next day.

I know these kids are doing it just as a prank and want to get out of school because I don't think there has ever actually been a bomb found. Don't they know how big of a waste of money this is to have to have everything done just to do the search?

Plus they have to have so many days of school, here in PA where I live I think it's 180 days, to be able to move into the next grade or graduate. If they don't get that many days in by the end of the normal school year then the days are added on to the end of regular year. If they play this prank so many times they'll end up going to school all summer.

When I was in school we had fire drills incase the school was on fire. We didn't have bomb drills like they do now!

(Sorry just really needed to vent about this!)

somebody told me the kids are more sensitive today now that's a crock.I Kids never brought guns to school when I was in school kids are just mean and look at the cartoons they watch that are so violent.I watched bugs bunny but we didn't try hit some over the heaead with a frying pan or kump off a cliff.A school was blown up back in 20's

You hear about bullies there have always been bullies.we had fights in schools big deal. I got in my share also. Someone called the B word after teasing me about my seizures and I beat her but.

Now kids parentssue the school if there kid isn't promoted to the next grade.

A lot of kid today don't care about school and think they'll find a job with know problem coming out of collegebecause they have a degree not so, to many ppl looking for jobs.

Kids now a days have no respect for people or property, and that is not just America either its Ireland mind you I have not heard of boom treats in schools over here yet. But I agree, there have always been bullies and we have all got into fights, I loved the cartoons but not the ones now, they just are not funny and the violence is scary.

Kids now are likely to do any kind of damage to property or to people and they think its funny, where are the parents who are suppose to tell them this is wrong. I seen my niece today she did not want to go to school this morning so she said she was sick - she is 5 - her dad told her she was going to school and that was it, she turned around and told him he could not make her, she had right as well and she would ring child protection on him. She got away with it, if it was me she would have gone to school. How wrong is that. There is no respect.

I've heard of the stunt kids pull, on i've heard of is to seeing if they can knock someone out that was just riding their bike, or just walking on a street. My advice is to always be aware of your surroundings, even people behind you.

Spare the rod and spoil the child, was true for centuries, is still true today.

:piano: :pop:

I graduated high school 20 years ago. We did have some violent cartoons like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Transformers. I don't know how violent they were compared to the cartoons that are on now however. But I know we didn't go around shooting kids in the school or threaten to bomb it.

You hear about bullies there have always been bullies.we had fights in schools big deal. I got in my share also. Someone called the B word after teasing me about my seizures and I beat her but.

When we picked on kids in school they were given a wedgie (pulling your underwear up), you may have knocked their books out of their hands and you ran down the hall, snapped their bra and other things like that. If they were called a name it was usually something like nerd or geek.

The kids now like to do things that are sexual in nature to other children of the same sex to pick on them then call them the 'f' word. When I was in school if you did anything like this to another kid you were the one who was called the 'f' word.

They also do things to kids of the opposite sex too. There are so many adults that you hear about raping kids now too. They can be kids of the same sex or opposite.

A lot of kid today don't care about school and think they'll find a job with know problem coming out of collegebecause they have a degree not so, to many ppl looking for jobs.

My husband's son graduated collage about 2 1/2 years ago with a masters degree in history, he was planning on teaching in a college. He had to live at home, work in a local store and bartended until he finally got a job this past fall teaching two classes a week in a community college. He still has to keep the bartending job and live at home because he isn't making enough money to move out and live on his own. This wasn't his plans.[/QUOTE]

I seen my niece today she did not want to go to school this morning so she said she was sick - she is 5 - her dad told her she was going to school and that was it, she turned around and told him he could not make her, she had right as well and she would ring child protection on him. She got away with it, if it was me she would have gone to school. How wrong is that. There is no respect.

When I was in school you didn't get out of going to school unless you were sick. If you said you were sick then you had better have been throwing up or you were going to the dr so he could prove you were sick. No kid wants to go to the dr so when they heard that all of a sudden they felt ok to go to school.

Once my brother told my mom that his arm hurt, I think he was around 7 at the time, and he didn't want to go to school. She thought he was just trying to get out of going so she said that he was going. When he went to school he told his teacher that his arm was hurting so she sent him to the nurses office. The nurse called my mom because she thought that he had a broken arm and that he should go to the hospital. My mom took him to the ER and sure enough his arm was broken! She felt so bad about it but it just proves that in my family you weren't getting out of school for some stupid reason.

What is 'ring child protection' if you don't mind me asking?

If you did any sort of drug it was usually marijuana. I'm not going to say that was alright to do though. But we weren't doing (I didn't or anyone I knew of) cocaine, heroin, pain pills and what ever else they do now.

Also there was another bomb threat again today at a school on the news.

Kids becoming nuttier (well duh!! Look at the pop music and what their idols are doing...)
Economy not getting much better (parents busy worrying about finances and kids may not get the attention they deserve)
Harder to find jobs
Earth itself being damaged
over population
too much income inequality (high income inequality = higher violence)
social norms seem to have become VERY LAX (little kids dress like hookers, swearing etc now)
parents can't beat the crap out of kids without being fined or going to jail (kids think they can get away with everything)
information overload

etc

Planet Earth is getting worse and worse, eventually it will probably go BOOM

Last edited:
That is unreal and I feel so much for the students and their families. Shocking what happens these days.

It is messed up.

I don't disagree with this thread, and I realise it's technically about the stuff kids do. But the largest mass murder in the US at a school (involving bombs or not) is still the Bath School disaster in 1927.

Media I think has the biggest blame in our modern situation. Who else do the kids take any notice of?

Back
Top Bottom