Conversation issues

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bergoomay

New
Reaction score
Since I wasn't able to drive the past 6 months, I have been granted the opportunity to spend time at the house. Prior to being diagnosed with E, I was on the road all the time. Now that I have been at the house and had lots of time on my hand to just think about things I normally would not have even given a second thought, I have come to the conclusion that I do have an issue with being able to communicate. I think am okay when typing a message/email as I sit down and think about it but if I have to have an inpromtu conversation / debate, I find this very difficult. I can't get my brain to work to think about all the points it should on the topic being discussed. I find myself later thinking, darn, i should have brought this up, and that, what about this issue we may be confronted with by going down this path.

I have had several months to think about this and realized it is something I have always had. I love to socialize but would prefer to be the host has you really don't have to sit down and have an in depth conversation about something.

Does any one else have this issue? Is this something that is created by E even prior to be diganosed?

Thanks for all the help.
CLS

I don't have epilepsy and I still prefer writing as a medium for deep conversation/debate. It allows me to be a lot more organized in my thinking.

Hi Bergoomay - You've always been effective & lucid when "speaking" between us two - In the nicest possible way I don't understand where U R coming from!
Take care; Col

I think I know what you're talking about Bergoomay. When I'm post-ictal I know I will say things in the longest most round-about way or bring up topics that aren't necessarily relevant to the conversation.

Recently, I've started feeling that way when I'm not post-ictal just not as bad. I not only feel that have trouble in how I communicate but just in processing basic logic or evaluating situations. It sort of makes me feel rather helpless. Even now I"m having trouble trying to find the right words for what I want to say.

I've often been able to tell by peoples reactions that there's something in my communicative skills that is lacking but only recently did I have a close friend tell me exactly how I miscommunicated when post-ictal & because we communicated via e-mail I could look & see what she meant.

Last edited:
Truly, seriously, I believe this is a male thing. Judging by my husband, at least. I can talk circles around him and he will reply with 1 or 2 words or not say anything at all. Have you always been this way?

Hi, everyone:
I think it all just depends where your seizures happen in your brain. Mine mostly occur in the temporal lobe, where the seat of memory is located: the hippocampus. Like epileric, I've really begun to notice that even when I'm not coming out of "the fog", I cannot, for the life of me, recall words. Example: a brown (or tiny red), lumpy vegetable grown mostly in Idaho. Full of carbs, iron & potassium, & quite tasty w/ a steak or in beef stew. Answer: potato. Certain specific words suddenly go "poof" in the middle of a conversation. What a conversation dead-ender. And, like Bernard, I prefer to write my thoughts out to keep my thoughts organized. My sisters never understood why I wrote out my term papers, then typed them. I just can't sit in front of a computer screen & type out a cohesive, well-thought 10-page paper or article.

I trouble with verbal conversations post-ictal, too. And if it's noisy, I can't do well with them at all. Noise, chaos, confusing just overload my brain. Typing I can take my time, read it over, say what I want to say. Verbal - not such good luck. People misinterpret what I say a lot, and I don't think quick enough to understand that and clarify.

Anne, me too! I think of it as living life inside a game show. I'll turn to whomever is nearest to me and say, "you know that thing that goes over the river and you drive across it?" And they say "Bridge!" And I say, "YES!" They look so happy when they get it right. lol....

Thanks ColmanMac. I appreciate your feedback.

All, thanks for the input. I am going back to my Dr in 90 days and I think I will bring this up. Maybe they can provide me some feedback as well.

Hi "Bergoomay"!

I always enjoy chatting with you anyway - Incidentally, have you received the tourist info of Scotland/Northumberland I sent you yet?
I only ask because it's been so long since I've heard from you - & we got back from Germany to find one of of our mailboxes broken into!

Let me know coz I'd rather you had stuff twice than not @ all.

Col

ColmanMac I was planning to send you an email today as I have not received the package and in speaking withy neighbor, who is from London, I should have already.

I was hoping to get it today but no luck.

I always enjoy chatting with you anyway - Incidentally, have you received the tourist info of Scotland/Northumberland I sent you yet?
I only ask because it's been so long since I've heard from you - & we got back from Germany to find one of of our mailboxes broken into!

Let me know coz I'd rather you had stuff twice than not @ all.

Col

I know what you're talking about Endless. I have so much trouble trying to think of what word it is that I'm trying to say.

I'll be talking to someone and all of a sudden be trying to think of something and say "you know that little furry thing that runs around my house" They give me a goofy look and answer "you mean your cat?"

I know what you're talking about Endless. I have so much trouble trying to think of what word it is that I'm trying to say.

I'll be talking to someone and all of a sudden be trying to think of something and say "you know that little furry thing that runs around my house" They give me a goofy look and answer "you mean your cat?"

I have that all the time. I'm german and in my mother language I have this problem. Then, in english, I can express myself really good and correct. Is that strange, or what ?

Hello Hello :)
I also agree with what Ann T and Endless say, so true!!

If you are looking to increase your conversational skills after a seizure that may be difficult to adjust, but if youre looking to increase your impromptu verbal ability in general there are many resources online to help you.
They may seem lame but give them a shot. Sites involving 'Toast masters' or ones involving 'improving conversational skills' are pretty easy to find.

Im not sure if you still have a lot of time on your hands, but an old technique you can use is trying to talk about a random topic for 2-3mins (could be school buses, the dentist, a politician you hate, etc.) and try to self-monitor during that time. limit your 'ums' and 'ahs'. If you can build up your ability to think on the spot with open air/yourself it could transfer over to your quickness in conversation.

Most people aren't good speakers by accident, its through the many socially demanding situations they've experienced.... through practice basically.
Nothing comes without some good ol' practise
hope this helped and good luck with it! :)

I have that all the time. I'm german and in my mother language I have this problem. Then, in english, I can express myself really good and correct. Is that strange, or what ?

==========================================================

Morning you! - Often, for me, a song is the best way to express my feelings - towit; Go to Youtube & find 'Lover's Concerto' by Kelly Chan - says it all for me! - end of!

Colxxx

==========================================================

Morning you! - Often, for me, a song is the best way to express my feelings - towit; Go to Youtube & find 'Lover's Concerto' by Kelly Chan - says it all for me! - end of!

Colxxx

15 years of marrige and going on this site it takes, for you to go all romantic and mushy on me....hmmmm....luv ya toooooooooo !
PS: it's beautiful

Back
Top Bottom