doctor that doesn't like returning calls

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Belinda5000

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
My neuro's out of country .His partner is covering for him.This jerk doesn't seem to think I'm worth 5 minutes on the phone when he had be protted by someone to call me.
When went up on Onfi sz's inreased so I went back which did know good.
And he told me go back up on onfi anyway.

Does anyone have any problem getting a doc to return calls when your szing a lot?:ponder::twocents::e:

Reading the posts here always reminds me of how good I have it. I just can't believe doctors are able to get away with that behavior. My doctors have always been able to communicate in some way. Often times I talk to an assistant who messages him before receiving a message back and then calls me back within an hour or so. Even when it came down to him having to review a video EEG, it was done within a few hours.
Neurologists aren't cheap and shouldn't be able to act that way. Maybe it is because I have my choice of doctors. Maybe it is a working communication system.

Best of luck Belinda. You deserve better.

Belinda5000

Show me a doctor that does return your call. As far as I can see they think they are above everybody.

Actually thats one thing here i can commend where I am and that is doc patient communication. Occasionally with down to earth humble doctors they will treat you like anyone else will and call. My busy ones at least get the secretary to relay a message.

What I found helps a lot is when Doctors do something really good like make your life noticeably better is buy them a little present and compliment them. They feel appreciated and remember you. Its surprising the preferential treatment you get if your extra pleasant to deal with.

Last edited:
Fedup,

If my neuro was in town he'd return my call between 5-6 pm after his office has closed , or sometimes on his lunchbreak. I see him Monday

AussieChris

I just do not see why I should have to buy a present for somebody to do there job, I have no problem saying "you have done a good job" but if I am paying (which I am) you to do a job should I not be treated with courtesy and respect even if it is a telephone call which I will be paying for regarding my health.

Belinda5000

You are very lucky to have a neurologist that returns your calls, I had a hard time getting my prescription a few months ago. So my experience with neurologists is not as good as you unfortunately.

AussieChris

I just do not see why I should have to buy a present for somebody to do there job, I have no problem saying "you have done a good job" but if I am paying (which I am) you to do a job should I not be treated with courtesy and respect even if it is a telephone call which I will be paying for regarding my health.
i guess they are people to with basic needs like us. Can you imagine 10 hours a day 5 days a week of complaints about health and how miserable that would be to hear? They would have to be fairly caring people to forgo many pleasures in life like time off to sit in an office all day to help us. I figure to acknowledge that sacrifice and be extra nice wont hurt. A neurosurgeon saved my life once and got an expensive pen engraved and gave it as a present to him. My neurologist took the time to help me be free from bad meds to an alert mind now so out of gratitude I think we gave a bottle of wine and chocolates to the secretaries and doc for being so helpful. :) If you reward helpful friendly service from anyone you usually receive it again next time and you make their day better too. The same attitude works at the welfare office as they aren't expecting it..

Last edited:
I have been lucky with my neurologists.
When I used to see the local neurologist if I had any issues I needed to discuss with him I would ring his clinic & pass a message onto the receptionist. He used to always get back to me by the end of the day.

I now go through an epilepsy clinic which is in the city so I mainly communicate with my epilepsy nurse & neuropsychologist through email with any issues which they pass on to my neurologist & get back to me once they have an answer.

AussieChris

I see your point and a very good one. There are many people who work the same hours and even longer, I myself have worked 10 hours a day 6 days a week. When I worked in hotels, well the last hotel my hours were 9 am till 3 pm and 6pm till 3am that is a 15 hour day and I listened to the complaints about everything and anything no matter how small or how big. I do not remember anybody saying how do you listen to all those complaints, it was my job and I got paid for it.

I know more consultants who take at lest 3 holidays a year, I cannot say they forgo many pleasures either. I acknowledge the sacrifice they make and how much I pay for the service. A service they provide for my benefit which I pay for. Sorry but on this we will have to agree to disagree.

Back
Top Bottom