Epilepsy and Alzheimer's

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Ruth

New
Reaction score
I have been diagnosed with early on set stage of Alzheimer's. I have a positive attitude towards it. It is in the brain along with my epilepsy and diabetes type 2. I have to keep my diabetes under control in order to keep my epilepsy under control.

I might be repeating myself, forgetting and get confused in my posts. I hope everyone will overlook it.

Does anyone know if my 62 years of epilepsy and my 12 years of diabetes has contributed to getting Alzheimer's? I have a positive attitude towards all of the challenges I have had to face in my life.

Does anyone still feel that Alzheimer's should be kept 'in the closet' like epilepsy used to be. I believe that no illness or disease should be kept "in the closet." I have always come out in the open with all of my challenges.

im sorry , thats a whole lot to take on , but your going in to it with a great attitude ( better than i have solely w/epilepsy ) and no i dont think it should be kept quiet ! keep that posistive attitude and teach people about alzheimers too ! good luck with everything

oh and as far as you posting things multiple times .... you know where you said that right ? i post things twice and forget what i was saying all the time and i dont have alzheimers ! gotta love it

Ruth, I'm so sorry about your diagnosis. <<<<<hug>>>>>

I'm glad you are talking about it in here. People can learn a lot from what you are sharing.

I know someone who has vascular dementia from diabetes. High blood sugar caused mini-strokes, which caused ongoing dementia. It's why the doctors rag so hard about keeping blood sugar down and steady.

There is a relationship between Epilepsy and Alzheimer's.

An international team involving scientists at the University of Aberdeen has revealed that a protein in the brain - which accumulates in clumps in an Alzheimer's brain—is making nerve cells too sensitive.

Overly sensitive nerve cells lose their ability to communicate coherently with other nerve cells. This then makes the brain susceptible to seizures, say researchers who today report their findings in the Journal of Neuroscience.

It is already known that patients with Alzheimer's disease can experience epileptic seizures, but until now, a link between epilepsy and Alzheimer's disease, and the actual cause for a connection, has not been understood. Around one third of Alzheimer's patients are thought to suffer some degree of epilepsy and some with certain forms of the disease are 80 times more likely to suffer seizures than people without the condition.

http://www.ahaf.org/alzheimers/newsupdates/link-between-epilepsy-and.html

Thank you so much for bringing this up, Ruth. Maybe some of the symptoms we blame on seizures or meds aren't at all. Good topic to bring up with our neurologists. And, finding out about the protein that links the two is one step closer to a cure for both.

Endless, thank you very much for the information. I did not know that connection. I have found that keeping my diabetes under control, keeps my seizures a lot less. There are medications for Alzheimer's that will probably keep my seizures under control, as well.

I have had two tests from my neurologist, as well. The first was in his office. It was memory tests. I could not believe how little I remembered. That was when I was diagnosed. Next, he did some blood work. It was Chem2 and some nutritional and vitamin blood tests. Calcium/Vitamin D, Complex B vitamins folic acid and one other that I do not remember. Next on July 28, is my MRI. Then I see him. I did not write down the date on the calendar so I will have to remember to call him.

Next, he will decide what medication and what dosage will not interact with my other medications.

Thank you very much for the link. I will keep everyone updated.

Ladybug, have you been tested for dementia? I had that for years before the Alzheimer's came in as one of my challenges. Ask your neurologist!! It could be your meds too.We have to tell our neurologist of any changes in our brain. Maybe one of your meds is causing it, something else or your seizures.

Endless, thank you very much for the information. I did not know that connection. I have found that keeping my diabetes under control, keeps my seizures a lot less. There are medications for Alzheimer's that will probably keep my seizures under control, as well.

I have had two tests from my neurologist, as well. The first was in his office. It was memory tests. I could not believe how little I remembered. That was when I was diagnosed. Next, he did some blood work. It was Chem2 and some nutritional and vitamin blood tests. Calcium/Vitamin D, Complex B vitamins folic acid and one other that I do not remember. Next on July 28, is my MRI. Then I see him. I did not write down the date on the calendar so I will have to remember to call him.

Next, he will decide what medication and what dosage will not interact with my other medications.

Thank you very much for the link. I will keep everyone updated.

Ladybug, have you been tested for dementia? I had that for years before the Alzheimer's came in as one of my challenges. Ask your neurologist!! It could be your meds too.We have to tell our neurologist of any changes in our brain. Maybe one of your meds is causing it, something else or your seizures.
no i think it's just my meds , im only in my mid 20's so i wouldnt think it would be anything like that , who knows , glad someone posted some helpful info for you

ladybug,

This is a very friendly forum. I know that I will get a lot of support and more helpful info.

Calcium/Vitamin D, Complex B vitamins folic acid and one other that I do not remember.

Was it homocysteine? I have mine tested every four months or so.

My memory issues started before commencing medication, so I've never considered it a side effect. I have T L atrophy. I've also had the memory tests you mentioned, Ruth - as a baseline - and hope to have more soon, as I know I've declined recently.

Keep smiling!

Hi Chei,

I really do not remember if the other one was homocysteine. I will ask for the test, though.

Endless put in a link showing Alzheimer's and Epilepsy being connected. You have them both in the same part of the brain. Could your epilepsy have been caused by your memory problems?

What medications are you on?

Hi Ruth

I'm only suspected of having early dementia at this stage, and Altzheimer's has been ruled out. I think that was done via the first lot of bloods taken a year ago.

There is definitely a connection between my memory problems and tle, as my memory stopped dead just over a year ago. At that time, I couldn't spell my name, tie my shoes (still have trouble with that most days, so have slip-ons for work), remember my dogs' names, etc. Sometimes I couldn't speak. Everyday stuff, all gone. The oestrogen HRT (Livial) helped me reconnect the dots.

I was already on Topamax for chronic migraine, and when the temporal lobe epilepsy was diagnosed, went onto Tegretol. They are my three "brain" medications, although I'm also on a blood pressure med for migraine as well.

Sorry, it's past my bedtime, and I really have to go. This is a great topic, as I think it's too easy to blame E medication side effects for memory loss. It's not easy, I know, but I'd like to see more E's screened for memory loss due to other causes (if they want to know...) so we can have a more realistic picture, and so the patients know what to expect in the future. I don't like seeing people kid themselves that it's all the medication's fault, when they could be making more of their precious time before it slips away from them. Just a little bug-bear of mine...

I was on Tegretol for years. Then, I had problems with it. Medicines only last so many years with me. I am on 5 for epilepsy 1 for blood pressure and one for stomach ulcers.

I was never on Topamax. Neurontin is also for migraines, that is why I was put on it. It works.

Years ago, Alzheimer's was ruled out and I had dementia. The dememtia lasted for at least 12 years or more.

Hi Ruth,

I'm sorry to hear of Alzheimer's and by no means should it be kept in the closet. I feel the same about epilepsy, also. The public needs to be aware of both, IMO.

I have epilepsy and Type 1 Diabetes, so along with Keppra and Topamax, I have to give myself insulin shots in the morning, at bedtime and with every meal and check my glucose numerous times throughout the day, plus BP medication, thyroid med, and an anti-depressant. A person with diabetes is at risk for a stroke if the glucose is not kept at bay, and in my case, strokes seem to run in the family, as my father had a stroke, his mother and 2 sisters.

My father's stroke happened 15 years ago and now he has the beginnings of Alzheimer's and also is on dialysis 3 times a week. He needs 24 hour care because he does not remember things, and won't remember if he took his meds or not. If he were to be left alone, his oxygen may not be turned on and he wouldn't know it, or if the phone rings, he forgets which is the phone and which is the remote to the TV. Or he forgets how to operate the remote to the TV, simple things like that.
I also have memory problems, but I know mine are from my hippocampal damage and the medications I take.

Here is another informative website:
http://www.alz.org/brain/09.asp

Hi Cint,

I have Diabetes type 2. I am on exercise and diet. I am also on bp med.

I am very sorry to hear about your father. Are you his caregiver?

Thank you for the link, I looked it up and bookmarked it.

I learned a lot. Thank you!!

Last edited:
Hi Cint,

I am very sorry to hear about your father. Are you his caregiver?

Thank you for the link, I looked it up and bookmarked it.
Your welcome.

My mother is the caregiver, but I give her a break once in a while. I did this week, as it was long overdue for her. We nearly lost my father back in January, due to complications from his kidney disease. He was in the hospital the whole month and I was with my mother the whole time. He will be 83 tomorrow.

I have horrible memory problems with my epilepsy. I'm 35 now and was diagnosed about 8 years ago. Practacally everything from 10th grade in high school until when I was first diagnosed is gone. Bits and pieces are there, but not much.

When I was first diagnosed my memory was horrible. After each seizure I'd forget things that had happened days or weeks before hand. It hasn't happened like that for a good while now. My short term memory is pretty good, but once things get about a few months past it will start to slip away. I'll be talking to someone about something and I'll get a "look" from them. I'll say "I've already told you this haven't I?" Then they tell me "Yes this is the 3rd time now". Alot of times I feel like I have Alzheimers.

I have alot of problems thinking of words in general. I'll be talking and say - that little furry thing that runs around the house - meaning my cat. I've gotten pretty good at learning how to describe things because I can never remember the actual word.

Don't worry about repeating yourself in posts. I'm sure I've done it several times, and I think that I've even posted about the same question over and over again not realizing that I've done it.

I don't think Alzheimers is a thing to keep in the closet, and neither is epilepsy. The more people know and understand about them the better they can actually understand what it means when the person has it. Sometimes when I tell people that I have epilepsy they look at me afraid that I'm going to fall on the floor and start floping around like crazy. I expain to them that my seizures aren't like that and then describe what happens to me when I do have one. They are amazed that there are more than one type of seizure.

Cint, thank you for the link. I looked it up and bookmarked it. I have a coupe more links.

Hi Valeriedl, Have you talked to your neurologist about it? You should!! Look up Cint's link. I am going to leave 2 more here. Get as much information as you can!! Write it down in a log to take to the doctor. That way you do not forget as much. One thing that is important is to build your memory back up, is to repeat things over and over again. Like, I am reading my Bible more. I read out loud, so I can remember it better.

Here are the links:

http://professionals.epilepsy.com/ You will have to put the word Alzheimer's in the search box.

http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/living/seniors/latercauses.cfm

http://www.med.nyu/edu/cec/epilepsyseniors/ This link talks about how Alzheimer's disease knows no age. This is the right link but it took me to the google place. It is

the first one at the top. It might take you right there.

It does not matter what your age is, you can still get dementia or Alzheimer's disease. Alzheimer's is a disease. I did not want to admit it at first, but it is.

Last edited:
I have to have a test done every 3 years, I think but can't remember for sure (imagine that) so that I can stay on Social Security. One of the parts of the test is for memory. I know I don't do good on it at all. They have never said anything about me possiblaly having Alzheimers.

I know that both sides of my brain are damaged, that is why I was unable to have any type of surgery for the epilepsy. I don't know if this could possibly have anything to do with my memory issues or not.

I did have to go to a psychologist a few months ago for another issue, I was having seirous problems shaking. It seemed if I got nervous about something an arm or leg would just start shaking uncontrollobaly. I had tests done by the neurologist and he said they weren't caused by my epilepsy. The psych seemed more concerened about helping me with improving my memory instead of the shaking that was going on.

I do read alot and play games that help with my memory but it still seems that after a few months alot of it starts to fade out. I always joke that when whe repeats of the tv shows come on in the summer it's almost as if I get to watch a new season again.

One thing though it has gotten better. At first things would slip away with in a week or two, now it stays up there for a few months before it starts to fade out.

The funniest thing for me is that there is a job that I worked at that I loved. Almost everything about that job I remember. The numbers that certain things were marked as and the cost of how much things were sold for. Probably if I wanted to I could go back and start working that job with no problem. Just about all of the other jobs I only remember bits of or nothing at all.

Thanks for looking all that up for me Ruth.

I have problems with shaking too. My neurologist says that it has nothing to do with my epilepsy. I never think what is causing it. I know the brain can cause other problems besides epilepsy and diabetes type 2.

I think I will ask my doctor what is causing it. He has put me on mysoline for it. It works. It stops the shaking.

Hi Ruth

I just read about your shaking. I have several kinds of shaking. one makes me feel as if I weak (my legs) I have to keep a walking stick close by.
Is this what you expreienced, when I tell my Neur. (each time I go in) he will not conment of it. Which leaves me feeling crazy.

I'm go glad for you that you and your Dr. found the right medic. for you.
It's no fun feeling like I going to fall all the time.

Back
Top Bottom