Epilepsy and TV Shows

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Lovespurple

Pillar
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I hope you're having a good day so far. :)

I'm curious...how is Epilepsy portrayed in TV Shows? I know that there is one character in the British drama series EastEnders that has Epilepsy, but that's all I know.

Thanks.

I don't watch a whole lot of TV, but I can't really think of any shows or movies I have seen that have a person with epilepsy in them. Even the medical shows. Hmmmm . . .

daviscy60 - Thanks for the info. Please go into more detail about the movie. :)

3 lbs. was a show back in "2006" that revolved around brain surgery. It was only on for a short 8 episode season. :( Stanley Tucci starred in it.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0775558/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_39

Another show that is currently on now is "Perception". This show deals with all areas of the brain.
Dr. Daniel Pierce is an eccentric neuroscientist who uses his unique outlook to help the federal government solve complex criminal cases.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1714204/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Eric McCormack & Rachael Leigh Cook star in this series.

Epilepsy is just one of the many medical problems of the brain they deal with.
Both shows are worth watching. :)

BIGMAN131307 - Thanks. By the way, I think Stanley Tucci did good in the Spielberg movie called The Terminal. I love that movie!

Yeah, I've seen a lot of Perception episodes. However, I've never heard them mention anything to do with Epilepsy and/or seizures.

Thanks anyway.

daviscy60 - Thanks for the info. Please go into more detail about the movie. :)

Movie about a girl that was a designer baby. Parents had her specially to help her older sister that was dying of leukemia. The girl gets a lawyer when she is only like 10 to maybe 12??? to file against her parents for medical emancipation. The lawyer takes the case but you don't find out until towards the end that one reason for him taking the case was because he was an epileptic and new what it was like to not have control of your body. He had service dog named judge that would warn him when he was going to have a seizure. Not a true story but was a good movie.

Movie about a girl that was a designer baby. Parents had her specially to help her older sister that was dying of leukemia. The girl gets a lawyer when she is only like 10 to maybe 12??? to file against her parents for medical emancipation. The lawyer takes the case but you don't find out until towards the end that one reason for him taking the case was because he was an epileptic and new what it was like to not have control of your body. He had service dog named judge that would warn him when he was going to have a seizure. Not a true story but was a good movie.

Thank you very much :).

BIGMAN131307 - Thanks. By the way, I think Stanley Tucci did good in the Spielberg movie called The Terminal. I love that movie!

Yeah, I've seen a lot of Perception episodes. However, I've never heard them mention anything to do with Epilepsy and/or seizures.

Thanks anyway.

They do have episodes that revolve around different types of Epilepsy. Last weeks episode (S3, Ep7) Bolero: A gallery owner dies while having a seizure caused by a video installation. The gallery owner had "photosensitive epilepsy".

It's not in every episode, but often enough. :)

I have never seen a show embrace epilepsy with a main or secondary character. For stretch of a few months about 2 years ago it seemed like every week a seizure was shown on tv. It was sad watching how little the writers knew about first response but the best part was when my wife would get angry at them. When they showed foaming at the mouth and someone said they are biting their tongue, she was all 'where is the blood!!! Foam my a..!!'

Hmmm... never remember seeing one with epilepsy on a show or a movie. Many years as a seizure guy and many shows... hmmm... I'll be thinking about this now when watching movies/shows.

I was watching a show about border crossings between the US and Canada the person they were interviewing started having a tonic clonic seizure probably due to swallowing drugs he was trying to smuggle but none the less they referred to the seizure as a "fit" and the person is acting crazy. This shows the lack of education to the public about epilepsy and seizures but it did bother me that an official would use the term fit and acting crazy.

I always liked the old emergency from back in early to late 70's with the paramedics. When the docs told a man he had epilepsy and it wasn't the end of the world.When they saved someones life who was having a seizure.but they never freaked out when someone had a seizure.

I enjoy watching that show. It's to bad the media/tv of today is dumb. They'll explain in detail about high speed chases, shootings, etc. But when it comes to epilepsy and seizures they do nothing.

Thanks for this post.....i like this show...

Back
Top Bottom