Have you eve thought about being a neurologist?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Athena22

New
Reaction score
I mean it seems like an easy enough job. ....joking : P. I know Its hard.... not really I have no clue I havent worked a day in my life. -truth and not proud of it-
Plus being epileptic I've been around the doctors a lot.
Although the only problem is I am nervous.
Nervous about committing to a career for the rest of my life, because I don't know if I would like it. Many people say they hate thier careers.
The only careers Iv'e found that would be least stressful would be physical therapy, but my sister is already doing that. And I don't want to feel as though I'm copying her or anything. : /
I could take a lobotomy class in the fall to start working. I'm not sure if I have the correct hours to take it though. I don't really like needs or sticking people with them. My sisters just want me to get into the medical field. I really just don't know what I want to do. For awhile i wanted to be an architect. But then Idk where that went...
And then I started having epilepsy and so I guess the only thing that is inspiring me right now is to become an architect, neurologist, or physical therapist assistant. :brain::paperbag::clap::ponder::ponder::ponder::ponder::e::e::e::e::e::e::e::e::e::e::e::e::doctor:

Last edited:
Nothing like a patient care worker (doctor, nurse, therapist, etc.) who can truly relate to what their patients are going through. And the patient can sense when their care-giver truly understands.
I was born with a hearing loss, and became an audiologist. Patients often tell me they like seeing me because I innately understand what they are going through with hearing loss; that I'm not advising them based just on what I learned from books.
You will likely develop a special kind of understanding of things as you go through medical training, just because of your own experiences. That "special understanding" will come through when you see your own patients down the road. I'd say go for it!

Last edited:
We have a member who used to post on CWE who was studying to become a neurologist.

In my next life, I will be a neurosurgeon, so I can cut out all the brains of those who need to have some sense knocked into them. ;)

I had considered being one. I have a few books on the subject matter and am saving up to get more. Where I work I could get half my tuition paid for an online school if I wanted. I just don't have the time or money to pay for the other half. It would be a very interesting job.

I would love to be one, though it's a little late in life for me... I think in actuality it might be frustrating how slow the pace of research can be, and how limited the funds are to do comprehensive studies. If I were fabulously wealthy I would put together a large-scale gold-standard trial of neurofeedback to see if it offers any help at all.

If I were a treating neurologist (instead of a research one), I would hope that I could offer some empathy to folks with epilepsy. But I might still feel limited by the fairly blunt treatment options we have now. Hopefully in the next few decades we'll see treatments become much more targeted, personalized, and effective.

I don't think I'd get very far with my sockets and an impact wrench.

My plan when I was in high school was to become a neurologist. Then I realized that it'll take a long time to finish schooling and residency. Now I'm studying nursing. Hoping to become a nurse practitioner after working as an RN for a few years. So I might choose neurology as my specialty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katzy, one of my epilepsy nurses had epilepsy herself. She was pretty great, though she still had to play second fiddle to my neurologist at the time, who I was less fond of. Best of luck with your studies!

katzy, one of my epilepsy nurses had epilepsy herself. She was pretty great, though she still had to play second fiddle to my neurologist at the time, who I was less fond of. Best of luck with your studies!

Thanks. Does epilepsy nurse mean she was a NP? I'd love to specialize just in epilepsy if NPs are allowed to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I strongly considered it but two things turn me off. 1) The idea of working with cadavers in Med School. Oddly I believe I could work on someone who is living, but not someone who is dead. 2) I think I might have too much sympathy. It would be so painful and stressful to see people going through Epilepsy. Even though I have it myself.

If you really like the idea of physical therapy, do it! Who cares if your sister is majoring in it. What do you like to do in your spare time? Maybe that will point you to what you should be doing.

Well, if you think about it like a neurologist is an architect for the brain... Two for one! Or the other way around really, design and art are abstract designs of your brain.

How about this as a twist - a designer of medical assistance devices and architectural planning?
Meaning- assuring that architectural designs have all required disabled access (ramps, etc.), as a direction to get into architecture on a larger scale, while also working with designs of medical assistance devices (artificial limbs, wheeled devices...).
I was just on the bus and was noticing the design of the disabled accesses on the bus: the ramp, fold-up seats to allow wheelchair access and restraints...
There are a lot of variations within the medical design field.
Try to think in terms of combining your interests into ONE rather than hating yourself by limiting your own possibilities by having to be more narrow minded in your options.
The medical field has countless architectural cross-overs.
Everything down to the very design of medical clamps and other devices.

Becoming a neurologist, not a chance. I'm seriously considering becoming a neurology nurse. Seeing the lack "epilepsy" aware nurses first hand, makes me want to fix this.
Most nurses, unfortunately many EMU nurses don't even know CPS when they see them. :( They only expect to see tonic clonic seizures, and are ignorant of the other types.

While I wait out my two-years post RTLS, I'm getting my possible future ready. If possible I will be ready to go to a local nursing school. :)

I'm actually getting serious and studying to get my GED and I am going over arithmetic and starting to get into some algebra which I understand now. It may take like 7 months for me to get it, but I plan on getting in college next year.

I am not sure, but after I get my GED I will figure out what career I will go after and I want to consider the medical field around neurology... Thing is I'll be 24, but anyway doesn't matter, it'll be worth it in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom