Hurricane Joaquin

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mommymela

New
Reaction score
I'm sitting at home, watching the rain, and wondering if I should try to jog to the store before the kids get home to get nonperishable food. The power company posted a message to prepare for power outages this weekend due to the hurricane. It's either that, or start cooking a bunch of food now. Hmm. Cooking and staying in my warm little nest sounds much more appealing. I have candles, battery powered lanterns, and batteries, should be ok. Anyone else awaiting hurricane Joaquin?

Here in New England they're saying that Joaquin will head out to sea and not make landfall, though we're still going to have plenty of wind and rain from other storms. If your area is prone to power outages, it can't hurt to have a few extra non-perishables on hand.

I'm in N.C., we aren't in any danger as far as I know, but PWC emailed saying we should be prepared for outages. I have muffins in the oven and already made a big stack of pancakes lol. Also realized that I have fresh fruit and veggies. I think we will be okay with what we have, although we may die of boredom if we lose power! Or even worse, I'll be forced to play monopoly -_-

Many years ago, during a hurricane where we lost power, my friends and I lit candles and had a silly seance, complete with a ouija board...

Many years ago, during a hurricane where we lost power, my friends and I lit candles and had a silly seance, complete with a ouija board...

Lol I will NOT be messing with a ouija board! Some neighbors of mine have agreed to join forces with us if we lose power. So far my front yard and the street in front of my apartment complex is flooded. I'm not too concerned, the worst thing that can happen is branches falling on power lines. I doubt we would go without power longer than a day or two in my area.

I live in CA. We are in a drought. We could use the rain.

We have saved up water, batteries, lanterns, blankets. We have our important papers in one place so we can leave if we have to.
We have a lot of canned goods that we can just open up and eat.

I have a lot of literature that we like to read. So we won't get bored.

mommymela

I hope everybody minds themselves and takes care.

It's not even raining anymore and the water is receding, I think we are out of any danger although we still have a flood advisory until tomorrow. I'm pretty sure we are in the clear!

mommymela

That is good news, let the news get better.

Honestly though, NC freaks out about frost on a blade of grass. Last year they cancelled school one day because they thought it might snow. Lol...

We Hawaiians don't start taking hurricanes seriously until they are named and at least a category 4.
We've had so many false alarms this year that people have kind of quit even bothering to do any frantic pre-storm stocking up. But people always still keep a stash of batteries, candles, canned goods, drinking water, etc. I could live off my fruit trees for a long time if I had too.

Back where I used to live in SoCal, there was a huge power outage a few years back that went on for several days across all of LA and San Diego. I have a radio which has solar panels and a hand crank on it so my front lawn became the gathering spot. The neighbors all brought lawn chairs over and we sat in a circle passing the radio around, each taking a turn keeping it cranked so we could keep hearing the public service announcements.

And somebody opened a bottle of wine........and a good time was had by all. I think it's healthy to "unplug" now and then.

I remember that!! I don't live that far South in CA, but it sure made the news. They have planned an outage for us Monday 8-4. We will see if we get it back on. We have Southern Edison too.

:cheers:

Mommymela, according to the Weather Channel you are flooded and so are the Mid-Atlantic States.

They are saying for everyone in N and S Carolina to stay at home. It's to dangerous to go out on the flooded roads.

Are you still all right? Let us know.

No...not in my part of NC. All the puddles dried up, none of the streets are flooded, and it's not even raining anymore. We are definitely in the clear. I live about an hour from the beach, I assume it's more of a problem in that area.

I am glad to hear that. I am glad that you are all clear.

Back
Top Bottom