Link between Epilepsy and Alzheimer's

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I just discovered an article that I belive that you will be interested in. I hope everyone looks it up:

http://www.ahaf.org/alzheimers/newsupdates/link-between-epilepsy-and.html

Not me. My life is medically depressing enough as it is.

1. Ventricular Brain Aneurysm
2. (congenital)Hydrocephalus(caused by the brain aneurysm)
3. Epilepsy(caused by brain/abdominal surgery for the first two problems)

I don't want end up adding Alzheimers' to the mix.

My maternal grandfather died at 63yrs.-old(1976), three weeks before my 9th birthday and five weeks before his 64th birthday.

It was never definitely proved that he had Alzheimers(or so I was told in recent years). But nothing else was told to me. Also, I was told that the only way to prove a person had Alzheimers, was through an autopsy. Well, How in the world can people be diagnosed with it, if the only true way to diagnose it definitively, is through an autopsy.

I sure hope there isn't a link.

Hi, You probably will not get it. I am 68 years old.

They have medicines for it to slow it down. I am on Exelon. It is working and keeping my brain going. It is a neurologist who diagnoses Alzheimer's.

There are 3 tests to prove whether or not a person has Alzheimer's.

The first one I had was: a short-term memory test in the doctor's office.

2. A blood test

3. A MRI of the short-term memory of the brain.

All three tests proved that Alzheimer's was the diagnoses.

I asked my neurologist for the test because I had noticed that my memory was really bad. I asked my husband what he thought. He told me that he thought that I have Alzheimer's. He did not tell me because he did not want to upset me.

Right away, I called up my neurologist and asked to be tested to see if I have it or not.

I wanted to get a diagnoses one way or another to slow it down with medicine. He tested me and put me on medicine for it.

I have a positive attitude towards all of my illnesses. They are a challenge that I must face. I hope you feel the same way.

Alzheimer's is still "in the closet." I refuse to stay in "the closet." In the support groups, the caregiver's are separated from the patients. I cannot talk to the caregiver's even though I can make suggestions to help support them. I know what they are going through.

My father in law died of Alzheimer's. That was before they had the tests and the medicines.

It is no longer a frightful disease like it was in 1976.

I started this to help educate people about Alzheimer's. I need to do more research. I hope you keep up with what I learn. I will put some of the article on the link. Just because you have epilepsy does not mean that you will get Alzheimer's.

I just came across this:

Inhaling a concentrated cloud of insulin through the nose twice a day appears to slow - and in some cases reverse - symptoms of memory loss in people with early signs of Alzheimer's disease, a new pilot study has found.
The study involved only 104 people and is considered very preliminary. But it suggests that a safe, simple and cheap measure that boosts flagging metabolism in key areas of the brain could hold off or possibly derail the progression of the devastating neurological disorder in its early stages. The results were published online Monday by the journal Archives of Neurology.

Insulin may slow Alzheimer's, study finds

I just discovered an article that I belive that you will be interested in. I hope everyone looks it up:

http://www.ahaf.org/alzheimers/newsupdates/link-between-epilepsy-and.html
Link Between Epilepsy And Alzheimer's Uncovered
March 20, 2009

There is a protein in my brain-which causes clumps in the brain of a person with Alzheimer's. This protein makes nerve cells overly sensitive.

These overly sensitive nerve cells lose their ability to communicate coherently with other nerve cells. This is what causes the brain susceptible to seizures as reported in the Journal of Neuroscience.

It is all ready known that patient's with Alzheimer's disease can have epileptic seizures. Until March 20, 2009 a link between epilepsy and Alzheimer's has not been understood.

Scientists have discovered how the beta-amyloid protein, the main part of the plaques that clog my Alzheimer's brain. This protein causes my cells to short-circuit and fire too many electrical signals.

Professor Harkany, who co-headed the research said, "we have shown for the first time the actual cellular process that links epilepsy and Alzheimer's disease."

I hope that this helps everyone understands what I am going through.

Hello everyone,

I am allergic to both the Exelon Patch and the Exelon oral pill. I have decided not to take any more medicines.

The reason why is in my latest link. The research is getting more towards living with Alzheimer's Disease or AD. The research is going more towards reading and writing rather than playing games.

The latest link that I have is:

http://www2.ahaf.org/site/MessageViewer?em_id=9701.o%alv_id=11921

I had always felt that reading and writing were more important in keeping my mind active than playing games

Please try this if the link does not work. The name of the article is: Lifelong Brain-Stimulating Habits Linked To Lower Alzheimers Protein Levels

Please learn all you can about AD. I want it "out of the closet."

Last edited:

If that is true, then maybe there IS hope for me, since I do have Type 1 diabetes and epilepsy. Plus my father is suffering from end stage renal disease, COPD, and the beginnings of Alzheimer's, all since he had a stroke 13 years ago. His mother also had Alzheimer's. I'm the only one in the family with diabetes, so maybe the insulin injections will help me..... :ponder:

Hi Cint,

I have Diabetes Type 2. Insulin might help us. It helps if we have a defiency of insulin.

It is just in the starting stage of research. It is worth it to ask your doctor. Let me know what you find out.

I am interested in knowing more about how the insulin affects the brain.

Up above, Epileric showed an article about insulin and AD.

I have Diabetes Type 2. Insulin might help us. It helps if we have a defiency of insulin.

I am interested in knowing more about how the insulin affects the brain.

I taken insulin injections with every meal and snack and check my glucose levels numerous times a day, so I do have a deficiency in insulin.
A quote from this article,
http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/59/1/4.full
However, as people live long and well with the disease, it has become apparent that diabetes can alter function and structure in tissues not typically associated with complications such as the brain and bone. Alteration in brain structure and function are particularly of concern because of the impact of dementia and cognitive dysfunction on overall quality of life.

From large epidemiological studies, it has been demonstrated that both vascular and Alzheimer's dementia are more common in patients with type 2 diabetes

Epileric, I looked it up. I also found another article that might interest everyone.

The link is: http://www.ahaf.org/alzheimers/newsupdates/study-shows-alzheimers.html

I will share some from the article:
Two different research groups independently made the discovery: the Alzheimer's disease protein, called tau, can spread from one part of the brain to other connected regions effectively 'jumping' from one nerve cell (neuron) to another.

The finding is groundbreaking because for decades researches have debated whether Alzheimer's disease starts independently in vulnerable brain regions at different times if it begins in one region and then spreads from neuron to to neuron to other areas of the brain. The answer appears the latter. It's important because if scientists can find the mechanism by which tau spreads from one cell to another Alzheimer's disease could potentially be stopped from spreading.

Alzheimer's Disease Research (AHAF) did one study at the Massachusetts General Hospital for their major discovery.

The second study by Columbia University Medical Center (CUMC) and at the New York State Psychiatric Institute.

They are finally making progress in the research about Alzheimer's.

If insulin slows the spread of AD; does that mean that a high sugar level would speed the spread of AD? I'm wondering if a glucose/sugar level has an impact on how the tau and beta-amyloid protein react within the brain.

I taken insulin injections with every meal and snack and check my glucose levels numerous times a day, so I do have a deficiency in insulin.
A quote from this article,
http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/59/1/4.full

I am going to add to what Cint quoted:

THE FINAL FRONTIER: HOW DOES DIABETES AFFECT THE BRAIN
Author: Elizabeth R. Seaquist, MD
2010 American Diabetes Association

From large studies both vascular and Alzheimer's dementia are more common in patients with Diabetes 2.

Why this might be true has been difficult to explain. Diabetes has more risk factors such as cardiovascular disease, hypertension and seizures. When these variables are controlled, the risk for patients with diabetes appears to be higher than that of other subject groups. It can spread the speed of AD over time.

Persistent high blood sugar (hyperglycemia) appears to play an important role in cerebral dysfunction.

Performance on cognitive tasks assessing learning, reasoning and complex psycomotor performance was inversely related to glycemic control in people with Diabetes 2

Patients with chronic hyperglycemia or recurrent severe hypoglycemia appear to be at particular for the development of changes in brain structure over time.

The answer is either high blood sugar or low blood sugar can develop Alzheimer's over time. We have to keep our diet under control to avoid complications from diabetes. It can speed the spread of AD.

Last edited:
More Alzheimer's Research

So far they've only tested on Mice but it looks promising.

But maybe - just possibly - a dramatic new study offers the first real hope for a treatment. In a paper published today in the journal Science, a team of researchers led by Gary Landreth at Case Western University and his graduate student Paige Cramer found that an orphan drug called bexarotene has a remarkable affect on mice afflicted with a condition similar to Alzheimer's in humans. These mice have similar plaques in their brains, compose of beta-amyloid proteins, and they show behavioral and cognitive impairment similar to some of the problems experienced by Alzheimer's patients.

Within just hours of administering bexarotene to these mice, the plaques started to clear. If that weren't amazing enough, within a few days the mice also recovered cognitive abilities that they had lost. In particular, they regained the ability to make nests, a behavior that normal mice have and that the Alzheimer's mice had lost. They also regained at least some of their sense of smell.

An Alzheimer's disease breakthrough?

Thank you epileric, it does look promising. There has never been a treatment for Alzheimer's. We will have to keep an eye on it.

It was on the National news last night that diet make a difference. I was thinking that because of the diabetes connection.

I looked up Alzheimer's and Diet to see what I could find. There is a lot of information on the internet. It is not something new.

http://www.alz.org/we_can_help_adopt_a_brain_healthy_diet.asp?s_oo=althjodpigezn0nihatztfbg.

ADOPT A BRAIN-HEALTHY DIET

According to the most current research, a brain-healthy diet is one that reduces the risk of heart disease and diabetes, encourages good blood flow to the brain and is low in fat and cholesterol. Like the heart, the brain needs the right balance of nutrients, including protein to function well.

A brain-healthy diet is most effective when combined with physical, mental activity and social interaction

It looks like the key to my Alzheimer's is the way I treat my Diabetes. When I stay on my diabetes diet, my epilepsy stays under control. I am going to test myself more times a day, like Cint does. When I keep my diabetes under control, it will keep my Alzheimer's in check and possibly reverse it.

It certainly seems like a good approach Ruth. Especially if you have positive results.
I know diet has been very important with Rebecca's health. Her tests were showing high risk for diabetes.

I started testing myself more often. I am going to have to see what I have eaten wrong in the last 24 hours. I know it was not my breakfast because all I had was Oatmeal and non-fat Milk.

My husband yesterday told me that my snacks that are very low carb add up. I will try eating less snacks and see if that works. I have to find out which snacks are raising my blood sugar.

You and everyone else are very encouraging. It took you a long time to find out what works for Rebecca and what does not. I am glad that you and Rebecca found a solution.

How is Rebecca?

So far they've only tested on Mice but it looks promising.

An Alzheimer's disease breakthrough?

I found this article online today about the drug, Bexarotene,(Targretin):

http://news.yahoo.com/alzheimers-di...-reversed-alzheimers-152034532--abc-news.html
Alzheimer's Disease: Drug Sparks Hope, Desperation

The drug, bexarotene, whose trade name is Targretin, quickly cleared abnormal plaques of a protein called beta amyloid from the brain and improved memory in three different mouse models of Alzheimer's disease, according to a study published Thursday in the journal Science. Beta amyloid is just one feature of Alzheimer's disease in humans.

Because bexarotene is already approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for skin cancer, doctors can legally prescribe it "off-label" for other conditions. But Alzheimer's experts urge families to temper their hope until the drug is proved safe and effective by years of clinical trials -- a tall order for the country's 5.4 million patients and 14.9 million caregivers.
"At this point in time, it would really be unethical for a physician to prescribe the medication and, I think, foolish for the patient to take it," said William Thies, chief medical and scientific officer for the Alzheimer's Association.

Like other cancer drugs, bexarotene can produc serious side effects, including headaches, hair loss, nausea and depression, and can increase cholesterol levels, according to the National Institutes of Health. In elderly Alzheimer's patients, many of whom take multiple medications, bexarotene could interact and interfere with other drugs.

Thies said the Alzheimer's Association received more than a dozen calls about bexarotene after the Science study was published last week. Other doctors contacted by ABC News said they, too, had been contacted by caregivers clamoring for the drug.

Thank you Cint.

The article said that it will take years of clinical trials before it will be approved for AD.

Right now, it is a skin cancer medicine. Since it has been approved by the FDA, it can be prescribed for AD. However, insurance companies will not cover it for AD. It is very expensive.

Let's keep an eye on it to see how the clinical trials develops.

Back
Top Bottom