In memory of Marie Moore

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My Mother passed away May 25th, 2014 after a courageous battle with ovarian cancer that had metastisized to her colon and lung. The original surgery was October 14th, 2013 after 10 days there were complications and she was placed in a medically induced coma for 8 days. We did not know if she would make it. By the Grace of God we were given those extra 8 months with her. The last Christmas we spent with her was in a medical rehabilatation facility, just my Mom, my Dad, me and my sister. In October of 2012 ironically enough Sandy brought down a 90ft maple tree into what my Mom called her Florida room. The tree bisected the windows next to the couch where she always sat. She had been sitting in that very spot 20 minutes before the tree came down. The only reason she got up and moved was because the power went out. We had Christmas Eve at our house, though a third smaller and filled with family and friends. She was dissappointed that she could not put up her tree that year. I scrambled and put lights on a palm tree I took home from my days in the theatre and painted for South Pacific. Years ago close friends had given her a small artificial Christmas tree that stands about 5'3". The lights on it had been out for the last 3-4 years or so. She kept meaning to get to it but just couldn't. Wherever she and my Dad would go she would get an ornament nautical in nature. My Dad has taken the loss very hard and I could not figure out how to lift him up even a little. Over the weekend he and my Godfather were away for another boatrace. I took advantage and removed everything from the tree and re-lit the tree, replaced and replaced all her ornaments. I only added one extra thing. On each branch I placed bows using ribbons of the colors of cancer awareness. Teal for ovarian cancer, Blue for colon cancer, and White for lung cancer. After all was done and the tree was placed in a spot where my Dad can see it from his seat, I realized how "sad' the tree itself had looked the past few months. My Dad gets up and is out of the house for work by 6:30, he has Moms' tree plugged in by then. It is also the last thing he does before he goes to bed. When I started this task I thought I was just finishing something my Mom didn't get to start. I now see that I did much more, I made my Dad smile when we talk about Mom. Thank You for letting me babble on.

Thanks for sharing. Sometimes we just need t talk.

Nothing wrong with babbling, that was a lovely post :)

Thank You for that! IMy Mom loved what she called "beach chic", I found online Christmas ornaments where they took glass Christmas balls, the clear ones, I'm guessing they open at the sides. They filled them with a little sand and some seashells and resealed them, they then tied them to hang them with teal ribbons. They also used seaglass in some. My Mom has lots of shells and seaglass in the basement just sitting there. I showed my Dad and he really likes the idea of putting them on the main Xmas tree. He is even going to make them with me, something he in the past would never had done until he saw the little tree with the bows for Mom. I'm happy that I did it. Thanks again for the hugs and kind words.

Back
Top Bottom