Nightmares/PTSD

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

hawke86

New
Reaction score
I don't know why I have been having a lot of nightmares. Most of the nightmares were mostly about things from the past. I also have P.T.S.D . I'm tired of having those nightmares. I don't know how to make them quit. Has any of you had anything like this? I'm tired of having flashbacks. I can't watch certain movies or programs cause of this. Will these flashbacks ever quit? Sometimes I have these flashbacks while I'm awake.

Hang in there Hawke.
When I have had bad dreams I write them down. Get all the bad visions down on paper.
Perhaps you can replace them with more positive images.

How can a person replace almost dieing 4 or 5 times with a positive image?

Think of it this way Hawk Buddy.

You didn't die. You are still here and capable of enjoying the good things in life, even if on a limited basis. You can see, hear, and taste. You are not living in an area with disasterous weather, awful war, or extreme poverty. You have access to the world via your computer (something not even thought possible when I was your age).

Plus, one of the things I find most important for myself, you are still capable of learning and thinking on your own. Keep your mind active and enjoy the process of learning even if it is meaningless trivia or researching the history behind current world events.

I know that your health has put limits on you, but you are still John and no one has taken that away yet.

Open a file on your computer and just start listing the positives around you no matter how small. Just keep adding to that list and reread it any time you are down.

Best Wishes to you friend.

:rock:

Hawke: I hope you're feeling better today. Sometimes when we're feeling down, everything seems so horrible, just with life in general. Like Buckeyefan said, you do have a lot to be thankful for. I often have to remind myself of that, as well. I wish you well, my friend, and hope that things get better for you. Sincerely, Josie

Josie, I feel about the same. I had something strange happen today. I had a severe asthma attack about thirty minutes later I had a seizure. I didn't know asthma attacks could cause a seizure. I found out today it can. How was your day? I hope you had a good one. Anything new happening where you're at?

Hey Guys,
I e-mailed my nurse about what happened today. She e-mailed back after talking to my neurologist. She said the doctor said I had a panic/anxiety attack after I had that asthma attack. She said if it get worse I need to go to the emergency room. I hope that I don't have another one. I hope everyone has a good night.

Reoccuring Nightmare Syndrome?

I have been struggling with nightmares for quite sometime. I feel they are related to my meds. Finally my Dr. diagnosed me with Reoccurring Nightmare Syndrome. I haven't been on teh meds he gave me for it long enough to feel that they have help. Does anybody else have any ideas or thoughts?
thanks for your input,
Kendahl

Hi Everyone. Lately I have been having a lot of flashbacks and nightmares. I also been having a lot of seizures also. I have been having about three seizures a day. I have been having about four flashbacks a day. At least one during my sleep a night. I am seeing a neuro-physiciatris for these problems. I don't know what to do when these happen. I'm also tired of having nightmares. Sometimes I'm afraid to sleep cause of this problem. One of my problems is I'm afraid that I won't wake up. I don't know if anyone else has this problem. Is it dumb to be a afraid?

No, Hawke it is not dumb to be afraid. But perhaps you could work with someone to come to terms with your fear.

Is any of this connected to your VNS surgery?

No. None of it is connected with my VNS. Today was a extremely bad day for me. I was having a lot of flashbacks. My parents cause my stress. Sometimes I don't want to be around them. I might quit visiting them. This weekend will probably the last time I see them. They cause some of my stress. Actually most of my stress.

Back
Top Bottom