not e-related; pumpkins

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

CuHead

New
Reaction score
it's that time. picking pumpkins.

wife rinsed the seeds from one pumpkin, opened them, and ate them. before that, she took out the juice machine and gave me a cup of pumpkin juice. when she offered cup #2, i asked her to add half an apple because i like more sweetness.

any good pumpkin ideas?

YUP!

I do - Cut pumpkin open,
remove all seeds,
wash seeds, remove
all strings and gunk
place seeds on baking sheet
lightly spray with PAM OLIVE OIL
lightly salt and shake pan lightly
turn oven on to 350*

Throw remainder pumpkin out

Shaken pan every 5 minutes
until nice and toasted to your
perfection (when it turns a little
tan on the rim of the seed but
still white) ...

Let cool slightly ... if anyone
would let it cool!

ENJOY!

These are two pumpkin recipes that I have made a number of times - roast pumpkin soup and pumpkin, sage and fetta fritatta.

Roast Pumpkin Soup Recipe

This serves 6 hearty serves, and you will need:

4 medium cloves garlic, unpeeled
1.5kg peeled, deseeded pumpkin
3 teaspoons (15ml) oil
1 large (about 160g) onion, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 litre (4 cups) vegetable or chicken stock*
Cream, for serving
Ground nutmeg, for serving

Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius (170 degrees fan-forced).

Chop pumpkin into pieces about the same size, and place pumpkin and unpeeled garlic cloves in a large plastic sandwich bag or the like with a little bit of oil. Seal the top of the bag and shake it to cover the pumpkin and garlic with oil. Then place the pumpkin and garlic onto baking tray.

Bake for 20 minutes, then remove the garlic so that it doesn't overcook. Don't throw the garlic away. Continue baking pumpkin until tender and cooked through. Keep an eye on the pumpkin to ensure it doesn't burn. A little bit of burn on the edges is great, as that definitely adds to the flavour.

Heat a large saucepan with a little bit of oil over medium heat. Add onion, nutmeg, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook and stir almost contiuously for one minute.

Add the roasted pumpkin and stock to the onion mix and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer until onion is soft and stock has reduced. The more the stock reduces, the thicker the soup will be.

Peel the roasted garlic and add to the saucepan. The soup is now cooked. Allow to cool a little before you puree it. This also allows the garlic to permeate into the hot soup a bit more.

Serve the soup hot. Top with a drizzle of cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg and crusty bread.

Pumpkin, sage and fetta fritatta

This is great with a salad and the leftovers can be frozen as lunch packs.

You will need:

900g-piece jap pumpkin, deseeded, peeled, thinly sliced crossways
olive oil
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
6 eggs, lightly whisked
200g feta, crumbled
40g (1/2 cup) finely grated parmesan
bunch sage, leaves coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 200°C. Line the base and side of a 20cm springform pan or a large pie dish with baking paper. Using a springform pan just makes it easier to get out for table presentation. I usually just use a large pie dish.

As the pumpkin has been sliced thinly, don't use the sandwhich bag idea to coat them in oil. Simply place the pumpkin them on a tray and lightly drizzle them with oil and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender. Remove from oven and set aside for 5 minutes to cool. Don't let it burn in anyway.

Whilst the pumpkin is cooking, gently combine the egg, feta, parmesan and sage in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Don't forget to whisk the eggs before combining with everything else, as you won't be able to beat them up with the fetta.

Pour a thin layer of the egg mix into the springform pan, then add a few pumpkin pieces, then add another layer of egg mix, then more pumpkin pieces and so worth until all the mixture as been used. Smooth the surface and bake in oven for 20-25 minutes or until just set. Remove from oven and set aside to cool to room temperature (frittata will firm on standing). Slice into wedges to serve.

Mmm.. That roast pumpkin soup sounds delicious.

Just an FYI - some people find Sage and/or Nutmeg to be a seizure trigger.

Whoops! I wasn't aware of sage or nutmeg being a trigger.

Yve, those recipes look good. I'm a little challenged in the kitchen... deep dish pizza, apple pie, potato soup are about my limit. If oceanbaby, aka wifeichki, takes an interest in them then I'm sure the result would be great.

Thanks much for the pumpkin soup recipe. My wife and I tried it tonight. We used half a pumpkin and approximated other quantities and times. We didn't puree it, but used a mixer and left it a little chunky. We made lots of small changes. After a few tasting spoonfuls, my taste buds were happy. Wife says she liked it on the first taste. She has said 'very tasty' several times tonight. The other recipe, fritatta, seems like a casserole and we both think it's worth a try.

Here in the States, I think pumpkins will be readily available after October 31.

Here in the States, I think pumpkins will be readily available after October 31.

Our local grocers have tons of them right now.

BTW, the pumpkin seeds are loaded with potassium and vitamins. They can be roasted in the oven with your favorite seasonings and eaten as a snack.

Our local grocers have tons of them right now.

BTW, the pumpkin seeds are loaded with potassium and vitamins. They can be roasted in the oven with your favorite seasonings and eaten as a snack.

:brock: :brock: :brock:

Another Punkin' Seed Fan!

(I hate pumpkins but I love squash, go
figure!)

I'm glad to hear that you and your wife enjoyed the soup, Cuhead. The frittata is more like a quiche though, just without the pastry and fat. It is a low fat, lighter quiche.

Back
Top Bottom