One perk of memory loss

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mommymela

New
Reaction score
I always wondered if other epileptics thought about this, I'm sure yall have. I can watch the same movies a year or two later and don't remember at least half of it, so it's like a new movie. The same goes for books. Of course, it does make it awkward when someone asks if you've seen such and such movie and you say yes, but you can't really remember it lol. Just trying to look on the bright side since I feel so much more positive lately.

When I was going through having grand mal seizures I would have some memory issues and right after having a grand mal for the next 3 days almost everything would be forgotten. We would go to movies knowing that I would get to watch the movies 'new' again. We were trying to have fun with it at least.

I definitely can relate. I sometimes don't remember seeing movies just 6 months ago, until I'm about half way thru the movie. Then a scene will spark a memory and I'll think, "Oh yea, I did see this movie a while back." What's really embarrassing for me is that I forget names. If I haven't seen someone for some time, I forget their name. But I do remember their face.
And it seems to be getting worse for me! :dontknow:

I'm the same way!!!! I'll say "Hey you! How have you been?" and try to discreetly ask someone else to remind me their name. It is embarrassing...I hate pulling out the whole "I have epilepsy" excuse, but it is a pretty legit excuse...

with not remembering someone I'll just I t takes me a few times to remember a persons name and that is the truth. I ran into someone today I didn't recall until he told me his name,He didn't remember me either so I'm not the only one that has a bad short term memory some time.

I'm the same way with absolutely everything that everyone has said!

My husband and I will be watching a movie and I'll say something like "I'll bet he's the killer!" My husband will look at me and tell me we've seen the movie before so I should who the killer is!

I drive him crazy when we watch the new season of tv shows. When they refer to something that happened last season I'll have no clue what they are talking about and have to ask my husband why what ever it is is going on. Sometimes I'll do this even if it's only something that happened a few episodes ago.

I always say that people should have to wear name tags! I run into someone at the store and they'll start talking about me asking me how I'm doing, they seem to know almost everything that's gone on in my life too, but I have no clue who they are! I try to get them to talk some more about themselves just to see if I can figure out who they are, sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. I may just give up and ask them what their name is. It's really embarrassing when they'll tell you that they are Aunt Someone!

Hahahaha this is the best laugh I have had in a good while. It's nice to know there are others out there in similar situations as me hehe.
I am really bad too, so I have found ways to "remember" eg what say an Andrew looks/sounds like, it sounds ridiculous, but usually it actually works, (but when it doesn't its pretty damn awkward hahaha).
Have a nice because all of you have made mine :) :) :)

I have the same problem remembering people's names. Someday I will forget my own.

When I was going through having grand mal seizures I would have some memory issues and right after having a grand mal for the next 3 days almost everything would be forgotten.
I had the same thing. It was as if things went into short term memory storage but never got transferred to the long term memory banks during that time. I'm so glad I don't have that anymore. There are large patches of 1983-1987 that are blank.

I am losing more of my memory from my Parkinson's Disease. I don't remember the garage flooding from the hot water heater. That was also the same day that I broke my arm. My husband tells me all of these memories that I still don't remember.

I have the same problem remembering people's names. Someday I will forget my own.

Sometimes I forget my own name and even how to write after a buch of especially bad PSs.

I try to remember names of others but often can't. Can't remember books or movies at all.

Sometimes I think it's the meds and not the epilepsy. My memory wasn't as bad beforeI started meds.

Sometimes I forget my own name and even how to write after a buch of especially bad PSs.

I try to remember names of others but often can't. Can't remember books or movies at all.

Sometimes I think it's the meds and not the epilepsy. My memory wasn't as bad beforeI started meds.

I completely agree, the memories of mine that are the most non existant took place during the year I took lamictal. Also, they've been much worse since being on keppra. In between, yes, I did forget some, but nowhere near on the same level as when I'm medicated.

I completely agree, the memories of mine that are the most non existant took place during the year I took lamictal. Also, they've been much worse since being on keppra. In between, yes, I did forget some, but nowhere near on the same level as when I'm medicated.

My memory has drastically declined since being on lamictial. I've been on it almost 2 years to the day. I had been have undistinguished for 3 years prior to starting meds and I don't remember my memory declining so quickly. When I told the doctor about my poor memory she blamed it on depression.

The only reason I can remember when I started lamictial is because I checked the date I joined this forum.

I work alone in an office and have only one employee. I am able to cover a lot of my mistakes and my maintenance tech covers for me too. I have to work, I need my health insurance to much to retire.

They always try to blame it on something else! The only reason I knew when I started having seizures was when I logged back onto here after being away for a year or two. Have you ever thought about trying a different medication or has lamictal been successful in stopping seizures for you?

Lamictial has not been completely successful but I am allergic to Keppra and a couple others she mentioned I refuse to even try.

I hate the "depression" question because I complained to my PCP about a backache and instead of ordering any tests she asked if I was depressed. Turns out I only needs 16 hours of surgery and 9 days in ICU, a blood transfusion and 4 1/2 months off work to recover. Of course I fired her on the spot.

It seems like they want to blame everything on depression, instead of looking deeper. Of course it might be depression but it also might be something physical or it might be both.

Happens to me. More with books though. Also, it makes it easier to listen to repeat podcasts I like! But memory problems suck. Especially words.

Names and words have always been so frustrating, I just gave up and say the word that I know is wrong, and when I get the odd stare I shrug and say, "I know it's the wrong word, but it'll come to me tomorrow." The other day I wanted to say "disseminate" but the only word I could think of was "provide." It made the email awkward.

Did anyone ever get evaluated by a diagnostic psychiatrist? I saw the report mine gave me before I started serious treatment. It was so depressing. I scored in the 98th percentile for logic and the 5th percentile for word recall. All my linguistic skills were either sub-par or horrid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did anyone ever get evaluated by a diagnostic psychiatrist?
I had a neuropsych evaluation done about 6 years ago. It would be interesting to have one done now, for comparison's sake. The only part of the testing that I really sucked at was the visual memory test where you had to re-draw a complicated line drawing. Odd since I'm a graphic designer...

My memory is terrible for names and face - my mother used to get very mad that I didn't remember her friends' names. I also don't remember movies well - especially the title and the actor's names.

But I'm great with numbers. Mostly those that I can refigure out logically, but also those I use a lot - I used to have all of my friends' phone numbers memorized in the days when we had to dial them. The push buttons always made it easier because I'd have the pattern figured out.

But I was lousy at history - names, dates, places, aaaaaarrrrrggh!

I'm reading a book right now that my dad insists I've already read but I don't remember a thing about it. It's like I'm reading it for the very first time. My dad started telling me things about the book just to see if it was the same one that he was thinking of and I had to tell him to stop because I didn't want him to spoil the book for me!

It's just so odd because when I read a book I might forget who the characters are or what it's about but there's usually always still a little bit of something about the book left up in my head. With this one there is absolutely nothing?

Back
Top Bottom