Problems with a look-alike bug

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

seizuregirl

Stalwart
Reaction score
I am having a problem with the Asian Lady beetle. I'm seeing them crawling out around my front door, and out from behind the woodwork around the front door and some windows too.

There's a whole bunch crawling on the front door window, and more on the window screens in the living room.

This is getting irritating. They're attaching themselves to our dogs fur, and to our clothes when we go outside so when we come back in, we have many more to try to kill along with the ones that had made it in the house by themselves.

I'm glad that my niece and nephew aren't too scared of them. They just keep calling them "ladybugs" and I'm not about to correct them, but they are getting spooked when there's a bunch in the house that I haven't been able to kill. When they find 1 or 2 they have no problem pointing them out to me, but the few instances when there's been a bit more they've just gone and hidden in one of the bedrooms until the bugs were taken care of.

I had to look those up as I've never heard of them. They do indeed look like lady bugs! That many would freak me out too!!

Is there a bug spray or something you can use?

seizuregirl

Believe it or not but I bet your house is painted white (maybe wrong), you will find when they come into the house they head for dark places, the best way is to Hover (vacuum) inside the house and if you notice them on windows or that get some paper and cover it with glue once they walk on it they stick to it or I used sellotape. Put the vacuum bag in the bin when your finished.

If you see them on windows you know you need to seal the window there is a hole somewhere, very small hole. Good idea to cheek them all there are pesticides.

Are they red with black spots..they sweet greatly encouraged in my garden

The motel I am staying at temporarily was covered with both what appeared to be lady bugs as well as box elder bugs. It is that time of year in MN. I have heard that dishsoap and water can help to dssuade them. Lemon juice and or vinegar mixed with water may do the trick. Mind you, I have not tried either.

Yes, the walls of my motel are white. I noticed a box elder bug hitched a ride on the side window of my truck for about ten miles today, and then flew off.

MichaelJO7

I had an unusual but same problem 2 years ago, it seems they are attracted to anything white in colour or light colours. White vinegar mixed with water but make it strong but it does not work that well I think. Never tried the dish soap but it is supposed to be good I use it for killing the greenfly and white fly on my roses and it works.

Last year and this year it is a funny looking spider, everybody was warned not to go near them the cold would kill them off.

Fedup, my house is one of the many tan shades. And I do believe they are coming in, mostly, through the windows in the living room and the front door. The windows are probably 20-some years old, so we definitely need to caulk the windows, and the front doorway.

But to convince my Father of having it done will be like talking to a wall because we're going to putting new windows in (hopefully) in the spring since we can get a slight discount from my Uncles business, and my Fathers convinced himself that when it comes to windows and doors, we don't have to worry about the bugs, or the drafts we have, because of putting the new ones in next year will solve everything! (I know it doesn't make sense, but that's how my Paternal sides logic runs. I've learned to just go with it)

seizuregirl

It seems they like light shades of colour. That sounds very familiar to me or it will do for now is another.

Oh don't kill them people just sweep them up fling them out.You get good karme

The bugs that are all over my house and city are orange, some are light brown, not the bright red that the ladybug is.

I've been using my shop-vac to suck them up since they will die from the dust and lint in it and aren't able to get out. We had used it recently in the garage so there is A LOT of dust in it!

It was a warm day here, probably one of the last ones, and the bugs are all over the side of the houses and businesses that face the sun trying get in that sunny area & get the most heat from the sun to hibernate over the winter.

Last edited:
I should also add that the bugs also STINK! when we kill them and they leave an orange colored liquid, which i think is their blood when they die, and it's stained the walls because of it. I'm hoping a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser will help get rid of it!

Are they red with black spots..they sweet greatly encouraged in my garden

Not this type of "lady bug". Thy came in to the US from China and are destructive in addition to being a pain. They even bite. I vacuum them.

I should also add that the bugs also STINK! when we kill them and they leave an orange colored liquid, which i think is their blood when they die, and it's stained the walls because of it. I'm hoping a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser will help get rid of it!

Don't smash them, vacuum them.

Also stink bugs are a problem now. don't smash them either. It attracts more of them. According to the local weather man iif you hang a fabric softener sheet in your windows it will stop them from coming in. They don't like the smell of the sheets. I haven't tried it because I don't like the smell of fabric softener sheets either.

Back
Top Bottom