Segway transporters - no drivers license required

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bernard

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
One of the most difficult aspects to having Epilepsy is the lack of freedom that comes with not being allowed to drive. Most states require at least six months without a seizure in order to procure a valid driver's license (you can check your state's law here).

Motorcycles and scooters also require a valid driver's license to operate legally. However, depending upon where you live, Dean Kamen's Segway transporter might be an attractive option. As far as I can tell, a driver's license is not required to operate one. Individual state laws can be researched here.

As I was traveling south last month, I had to change planes in Austin. There I was sitting all by myself enjoying a turkey sandwich, taking in the sights of the Austin airport (now mind you, it does remind me of a cross between Wal-Mart and a redneck cowboy bar) when a woman scoots by on a Segway. It was the first one I have ever seen outside of the media.

Now I thought, what a great way to get around the airport, but it must be a biatch getting that thing in the overhead compartment!
:D :wink:

I haven't been to the airport in Austin yet, but it is fairly new and I heard it was supposed to be nice. Austin itself has quite a bit of character though, so I'm not surprised that it made an impression on you. :lol:

Here's an interesting article on the Segway lobbying efforts to pass laws allowing it to be used on sidewalks and not require a driver's license:
Segway's lobbyists have been careful not to have their product labeled as a vehicle, which would relegate it to the road -- and could also mean that Segway drivers would have to be licensed, and Segways registered and taxed like cars. So they've coined a new term: the Electric Personal Assistive Mobility Device, or EPAMD. What's an EPAMD? The Segway, and nothing else.

Before Kamen and the Segway team unveiled the much-ballyhooed device, they took a Segway to Washington. First they convinced the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that the Segway wasn't a vehicle. Then they got the Consumer Products Safety Commission to agree that the Segway was more like a consumer product, like a bike or skateboard. Next up was convincing all 50 states to create what Dailida calls ''a regulatory framework around the Segway'' that would allow buyers of the pricey device to operate it just about anywhere they wanted, including sidewalks.

Segway makers lobby for sidewalk rights

I also found a forum dedicated to the Segway:

Segway Chat

Wonderful that you posted this Bernard. Rebecca and I were just talking about this recently. As she watches all of her friends get their permits she is being rather stoic to say that she doesn't mind waiting. Good that her brothers waited until they were 18, so we have a bit of time to see if we can bring her seizures under control.

I love Segways

Funny post guys...

Hello from AUSTIN----the apparent 'Segway Capitol of the World!' (oh, wait...we're the MUSIC Capitol of the World or something, right?:pfft:).....

Anyway, I just wanted to tell you guys me, Renee and the kids were downtown in Austin doin' the 'nothin-better-to-do-but-roam-around-cause-it's-fun-on-a-Saturday-in-Austin-thang' when we almost got ran over crossing the street by---you guessed it---a gang of Segway riders! There was at least 30 of 'em and they all looked like Harvey Firestein's character in 'Independence Day'. It was a Kodak moment that got missed I can tell you!

:brock:

Missing that moment for sure, I bet it was a sight.
Our Police Dept didn't like the motorized scooter that my son purchased. In fact made it downright miserable for him to ride it to school.

I thought Nashville was the music capitol...

Oh no you di-int!-----

I thought Nashville was the music capitol...

:taz:WHAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!! :taz:

:sw::sw::sw::sw::sw::sw::sw::sw::sw::sw::sw::sw::sw::sw::sw::sw:

Robin you need a vacation down real far south to A-town!
(Make sure you fly...the airports have Segways!):yippee:

I have been to Lake Travis. My sister lives in Granbury and I had a nephew that worked at the lake for about 14 yrs. I enjoyed my visit, but I drove from the Ft Worth area.

This is a really good idea and something I have never thought of before. Maybe I will buy my son a Segway i2 to get about on when he is older.

Well, this is an old thread, so I thought I'd check to see if there were any changes in the laws...
As of July 2008, 43 states and the District of Columbia have enacted legislation to allow use of Segway PTs on sidewalks, bike paths, and certain roads. The laws differ from state to state, so it is important that potential purchasers and Segway PT users carefully review their state regulations and comply with any special requirements. (Many of these laws use the term "Electric Personal Assistive Mobility Device" or "Personal Motorized Mobility Device", which are generally defined so as to include Segway PT.) In most cases, state legislation gives local authorities the option of enacting additional laws about Segway PT use. Segway recommends that potential purchasers and users check with local government to identify and comply with regulations in their town or city.

Legislation governing use of Segway PTs is primarily at the state level. The following states have enacted permissive legislation:

More: http://www.segway.com/support/regulatory.php

Back
Top Bottom