Sleep walking?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
My husband and I don't sleep in the same room because of our sleep schedules and he snores too bad.

At 6 this morning he came walking into my room naked and saying he didn't feel right. I thought he was telling me he had a hangover because he'd been drinking the night before. But when I completely woke up I saw that he was shuffling his feet on the floor, his arms were bent with his hands under his chin shaking and he was mumbling. Every few 'mumbles' were "I can't move".

I jumped out of bed and asked him what was wrong he said he didn't know then went back to mumbling and saying he couldn't move. He shuffled his way back to his bedroom and got in bed. I ran in and asked him if he was ok. I think I might have woke him up because he yelled saying he was dreaming something.

I went into the bathroom and saw that his underwear was on the floor. He slept in really late but I kept checking on him to make sure he was still alive. When he finally got out of bed I asked him if he knew what he had done. He said he thinks he remembers going into the bathroom but that was it.

What he was doing sounded like things that I do during a seizure but he doesn't have epilepsy. I'm just wondering if he was sleep walking. He's never done anything like that before.

I was about to say how he'd been drinking and it's quite well known for people to sleepwalk afterwards, and how some seizure types are often confused with it etc. etc..

But then I reread your post, and it's this I really don't like the sound of:
his arms were bent with his hands under his chin shaking and he was mumbling. Every few 'mumbles' were "I can't move".

I don't have much experience of sleepwalking, but if someone described just that to me- even without the other symptoms described- I'd think that was very possibly a seizure.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge on sleepwalking will post.

I can see why you're concerned :(

It's unusual all right, but maybe it's a one time thing, related to the drinking. Here's hoping.

My husband and I don't sleep in the same room because of our sleep schedules and he snores too bad.
Has he ever been tested for sleep apnea? Sleepwalking can sometimes be related to that.

He's never been tested but it's only because 'He doesn't have it' - His words not mine. He's been told several times by several different people to get tested but he just won't do it. He's very stubborn.

I'm pretty sure that almost everyone in his family snores pretty bad, even his mom did.

Next time he sleepwalks (if there is a next time), videotape it so he can see what's going on. Maybe then he'll take it seriously...

Thanks Nakamova. Hopefully there won't be a next time but I'll do that if there is.

I was scared to death when I saw what he was doing but I can't believe how calm I'd managed to stay either so I'd probably be able to grab my phone and tape him.

I say, put in a clause when you get married about having a separate room. You know, "the fun room" Where you and your sweetheart meet on those great nights or afternoons. But a regular room is great. My ex had sleep apnea. My moms husband snores like crazy. It does not mean you don't love him or her because you need a goodnight sleep.

I say, put in a clause when you get married about having a separate room. You know, "the fun room" Where you and your sweetheart meet on those great nights or afternoons.

We still have a 'fun room'. It's so funny that when people hear that when a couple sleep in separate bedrooms they don't think that anything 'fun' goes on.

You ARE making me laugh so hard. Then you are all set up. But take the newest bed. New blankets. And sheets. You get to shop. And only your closest friends have to know. Or nobody. I know a lot of people that do it that way. Who cares what other people say anyway. I care. And if you are on you're period I'll listen. If ya want. Love ya, Teresa

Back
Top Bottom