Swearing

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
I know that there are many people on here that don't swear and there are many that do (I know I'm one of them).

I can usually watch what I say around my family and when I'm out in public but sometimes that's easier said than done. I know that keppra plays a big part in this too.

When my grandma would swear the only word she'd say was s***. My grandfather would yell at her and say "Ladies don't talk that way!" She was glad that at least he thought she was still a lady at least.

I was at the zoo over this weekend and a woman was trying to take a picture of a lion. Right when she snapped the picture the lion moved and she missed the shot. She yelled "Oh d-it!"

She looked all around her and saw all the little kids and thought so guilty for saying it. I looked over at her and I know that she thought that I was going to start yelling at her until I said - "The Hoover Dam? Lions don't live at the Hoover Dam."

She got a huge smile on her face and said "Yes the Hoover Dam, that's exactly what I meant. Thank you!"

I know this was about swearing but I just thought it was funny!

I am glad that you brought this topic up.

I do not swear. A person does not need to swear. It bothers me when people on the forum swear. I have been noticing it but not saying anything.

Think before you speak, please think of everyone in the forum.

Last edited:
Think before you speak, please everyone in the forum.

Have to laugh Ruth as I find that so much easier said than done. Words tend to come out of my mouth and it's only then (maybe) that I realize that I didn't really want to say that out loud.

So I try not to swear at all, not so much because I find it offensive but rather because once I'm in the habit I find it's a habit I can't break :|

I do find certain words help relieve frustration, something about the way they are pronounced, and I find that curious. Why does F**K relieve tension when saying "oh duck" does not? Has to do with the pronunciation of the F (can be long and drawn out) plus the length since firetruck is not a tension reliever.

I'm so lucky! If I want to swear, I just do it in Hungarian! Knowing another language is so cool!
M

When the Kepprage kicks in the swear words flow out of my mouth like a fire hose. Said the words before but not in the same amount used now.

Good news is that I never Kepprage and type so I am able to keep calm on here. I can keep a lid on it 95% of the time but on a positive I can tell if I am in a Kepprage moment by how many dirty words used in a sentence. 3 words is 100% positive the rage is going on.

I take Keppra and I do not swear. That is just an excuse to swear. I do not swear at home, with my friends or out in public. I do not need to swear.

Dolores, I meant to say: Think before you speak, please think of everyone in the forum.

Think of other's feelings.

Marika853, swearing in any language is wrong. It is "not cool."

Last edited:
Have to laugh Ruth as I find that so much easier said than done. Words tend to come out of my mouth and it's only then (maybe) that I realize that I didn't really want to say that out loud.

So I try not to swear at all, not so much because I find it offensive but rather because once I'm in the habit I find it's a habit I can't break :|

I do find certain words help relieve frustration, something about the way they are pronounced, and I find that curious. Why does F**K relieve tension when saying "oh duck" does not? Has to do with the pronunciation of the F (can be long and drawn out) plus the length since firetruck is not a tension reliever.

:agree: 100%! For me it is satisfying...:p.

I do believe it's unnecessary in the written sense though. I'm not bothered if someone slips a few times, however, posts or members that do it frequently to try and get their points across show their lack of maturity as well as poor communication skills.

But yes, on occasion, I need my mouth rinsed out with soap, as well as my teenagers. :paperbag:

This is a funny smiley...lol. :soap:

Last edited:
Swearing to me is no big deal. I do swear and will continue to. It is a type of expression that I feel like someone decided was not right. I know it is more complex than that, but hey, its just language to me.

Out of respect for others, like Ruth, I do and will continue to avoid swearing on the forum.

I do appreciate that the forum does not censor any words, but I believe that is because there is not much "vulgar" language used here. Other forums censor, and in that case, I feel free to let words fly. :)

I do appreciate that the forum does not censor any words
There might be a few that we would edit out. :) CWE aims to be as hospitable as possible to as many folks as possible. That means asking everyone to communicate respectfully and to keep in mind other sensibilities and styles as they interact at our "party".

The whole swearing phenomenon is a weird one. I'm a swearer and I even think that there are some text-based circumstances that warrant swearing. Anyway, I was reading this article this morning:

Swearing can occur with any emotion and yield positive or negative outcomes. Our work so far suggests that most uses of swear words are not problematic. We know this because we have recorded over 10,000 episodes of public swearing by children and adults, and rarely have we witnessed negative consequences.
Therefore, instead of thinking of swearing as uniformly harmful or morally wrong, more meaningful information about swearing can be obtained by asking what communication goals swearing achieves.
Recent work by Stephens et al. even shows that swearing is associated with enhanced pain tolerance. This finding suggests swearing has a cathartic effect, which many of us may have personally experienced in frustration or in response to pain.

http://www.psychologicalscience.org...2012/may-june-12/the-science-of-swearing.html

For me, words are words. Some words are stronger than others, but what makes a swear word different from any other strong word, like 'hateful' or 'awesome'? Some swear words even lose their swearwords status when they're used in different contexts. Why is 'You will be damned to the hottest spot in hell if you don't accept Vishnu as your brightest guiding light' different from 'damn it all to hell? Shakespeare swore like a sailor in his plays but all kinds of refined people who are offended by swearing have no problem because...well...Shakespeare?

Of course there are contexts that make swearing unacceptable. Using it to disrespect or harass someone is out of order. But if I drop my favourite teapot on the floor, my swearing doesn't disrespect anyone. If the Stephens study is a decent one, it's even possible that I'll feel less stressed out about my broken teapot if I swear when it breaks.

I'm a swear bear, just not so much on the internet. I really want the shirt that reads "I have the vocabulary of a well educated sailor".

Recent work by Stephens et al. even shows that swearing is associated with enhanced pain tolerance. This finding suggests swearing has a cathartic effect, which many of us may have personally experienced in frustration or in response to pain.http://www.psychologicalscience.org...2012/may-june-12/the-science-of-swearing.html

I totally agree with this bit because it immediately reminded me of the time I was riding in an indoor arena and my young horse was startled by a car, started to canter and then slipped which startled him again. That was a bit too much for me to ride through so I was catapulted off into the arena wall with my left arm twisted by the stirrup rail and all the wind knocked out of me.

I tried to breathe but the only thing that came out was a series of long drawn out "fffff********kkkkk"s! :roflmao: Once we figured out I wasn't seriously hurt, everybody started laughing because I was the one person at the barn who didn't swear! But I have to admit saying "that word" over and over helped me to focus and deal with what had happened. So I now reserve it for those special times when I need something to get me through the pain :)

Ruth, why does it hurt your feelings when people swear on the forums? It's not like they are swearing at you.

I did not say that it hurts my feelings when people swear. I looked at my posts and I could not find it. Would you please quote me, where I said it?

In a topic or thread, a person is talking to everyone in that thread, right? So, a person is swearing to everyone in that thread.

Aren't we talking to each other?

Some people swear, some don't. Think of everyone on the forum. Also people aren't there to live up to your ideals and you don't have to live up to anyone else's.
In my opinion telling everyone to be mindful of others while thinking your way is the only way is kind of hypocritical. Pot meet kettle.

An interesting topic, especially on such an open forum with such a great community.

I admit, I don't see much wrong with expression with any words- if I'm in the right crowd I'll swear till I'm blue as they say, and revel in it :)

But that's not the point, and of course, deep down, I think we all know it. Here I do my best not to be *too* offensive with my language, because it's very refreshing to be on a forum these days with so little censorship.

A tiny bit of self control when you post is much better than a banlist of naughty words like 90% of the web...

I hope Bernard comes in on this topic.

He makes the rules. I go by what he says since it is his forum. I do not know his stand on this one.

I think Nak expressed the sentiment well. This is a peer support community. We try to be supportive, but we also ask folks to be respectful.

CWE has been around for almost a decade now and to the best I can remember, we've only had a few (like maybe 3) members that I had to PM and ask them to tone down the (very excessive) language. Most members here do a fine job of self regulating.

One caveat - we do afford members more leeway in the creative writing forum. We really don't want to censor anyone's personal/emotional/artistic expression (and there is some really raw/dark work posted in there).

Back
Top Bottom