What kind of music does everyone listen to?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Heather

New
Reaction score
My favorite is blues (1920s - to some new blues), classic r&b, female vocals (Etta James is one of my favorite female vocalists). I also like classic rock (50s, 60s, early 70s), jazz, country (not new country), western swing, bluegrass, funk, most music from New Orleans, folk, roots music

No rap/hip-hop. No new country. No heavy metal. No disco.

I have a large music collection. Music is what keeps me sane.

Love the blues

I've got to say it's my favourite music.

I have to agree with you Heather, no o rap/hip-hop, new country, heavy metal., & especially No disco. I'm the right age I had to survive it in the 70's.

I've also got a huge record, & CD collection & an OK sized instrument collection.

We'll have to talk blues and other music sometime. I have 3000+ cds and keep adding more. You can never have too much music, at least I can't. I'm not a materialistic person, but I love my music.

Last edited:
I"m the same way but I've only got 600 records, 350 CD's 3 acoustic guitars, an electric bass & amp & a collection of about a dozen percussion instruments.

I was neglecting my electric guitar & amp so I gave them to my brother for his birthday. That way I've got dibs if he ever gets tired of them & I can play them when I visit

Since someone responded to the Today in Rock n Roll history thread, I'll ask again.

What kind of music does everyone listen to?

I mostly listen to rock (metal, hard rock, some pop), spanish guitar, classical and soft jazz.

Rap and country/western music is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

About the hardest rock I listen to is The Who and some of the other British Invasion stuff. I haven't listened to it in a long time though. My tastes have changed some over the years.

I don't know much about spanish guitar.

Soft jazz, if you're talking about stuff like Kenny G and some of the newer stuff, I don't like it. I've just started getting into stuff like John Coltrane and some of the classics, but don't know much about it yet. I enjoy and know more about the jazz female vocalists, than any of it, like Dinah Washington, Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Lena Horne, Nina Simone, etc.

When I was a kid, I used to play classical on the piano all the time. Usually when you take lessons (at least when I took lessons) they mainly taught classical. Maybe that's why I don't care for it a whole lot. I respect it as good music. But it doesn't do much for me. I also like vocals more than instrumentals. I like instrumentals more than I used to, but still need some vocals after a while.

I can't stand rap or new country. I like the old country though.

Man, you guys are gonna make me cry!........

.....all that great music is now swimming around in my head (especially the old jazz greats Heather!...I'm a sucker for Etta James) and I can't think straight!

Now throw in some 'noise' music like background cd's for meditation or avant-garde stuff like recordings of an anonymous dinner party (Beatle-esque background recordings) and you're more in my universe.

Like you guys, I like MANY things...but seem to like Rap and NEW Country & Western the least. The OLD C&W with one mic and a group gathered around it was really pretty cool on many levels......less is more maybe?

I came into a huge record collection that has no boundaries really...I honestly don't know what the collector ever considered worthy. It just seems to be 'if it will play on a turntable, I'll collect it' was his mantra. And because of that there's some pretty odd stuff and some pretty great stuff. I like to 'browse the stacks' every once in awhile for surprises.

:twocents:

Speber
:rock:

Re:What Kind of music you listen to

I mostly listen to Rock, British Bands,a little bit of everything except rap (I can't stand it ) I have a lot of CD's and they are all on my computer :ponder:

.....all that great music is now swimming around in my head (especially the old jazz greats Heather!...I'm a sucker for Etta James) and I can't think straight!

Now throw in some 'noise' music like background cd's for meditation or avant-garde stuff like recordings of an anonymous dinner party (Beatle-esque background recordings) and you're more in my universe.

Like you guys, I like MANY things...but seem to like Rap and NEW Country & Western the least. The OLD C&W with one mic and a group gathered around it was really pretty cool on many levels......less is more maybe?

I came into a huge record collection that has no boundaries really...I honestly don't know what the collector ever considered worthy. It just seems to be 'if it will play on a turntable, I'll collect it' was his mantra. And because of that there's some pretty odd stuff and some pretty great stuff. I like to 'browse the stacks' every once in awhile for surprises.

:twocents:

Speber
:rock:

I can listen to Etta James anytime.

I don't know anything about "background cd's for meditation or avant-garde stuff like recordings".

"Less is more" is prob what I like more roots music. Blues, folk, vocals (esp harmonies) acoustic music in general. I rarely like synthesizer. I like piano, but not synthesizer, unless it's a B3 organ, like on some of the old r&b.

DISCO SUCKS & NO RAP: I never heard in my community people say they "HATE" country, rock are any music populated by non-Afro American. Why do non-Afro American so adamantly voice their dislike for music enjoyed by others? In America I wonder why. I've been fortunate to relish music from all corners of this great land of ours. It's given me great
pleasure and means to meet others outside of my community. Grand Funk, Yes, The Rolling Stones, and Traffic; great live concerts I shall never forget. Country music found my heart via the stories told. Bob Dylan sans the voice is right there with Smokey Robinson. Bob called Smokey America's greatest poet. And rap: Hip-Hop was great fun,
rap has to many guns. Yet, I still find sun light within some rap. Best said, "MUSIC, MUSIC,
ALL IS MUSIC".

I am particularly fond of folkish stuff...mellow stuff. Depressive stuff. Love it.

Johnny Flynn, Diane Cluck, Ray LaMontagne and Laura Marling are high up on my list.

Pop-ish girlie. Katy Perry-don't judge me. I love her. mwah! :p, Mates of State, Eisley

Rockish-ish! rock used loosely. Say Anything, Kings of Leon, Hefner, Bishop Allen, Troubled Hubble

Country. Popular stuff.

Rap - eh some songs are pretty catchy and great to sing random lyrics to. "You can have whatever you like" lol don't know the song. "big pimpin'" Whatever. Great stuff with friends and alcohol. :p

Yeah. I'm 20 so I like a lot of different types of music.

As I can see everyone has there own taste. If I had to pick my taste of music I like:
*Rock, Heavy Metal, Alternative Rock, Pop, Christian, Country, Dance, some R&B, Oldies (60s to 00's), & Southern Rock. No Rap, Jazz or reggae.

You guys all need MP3 players or Ipods that store all your stuff.

I have such an incredible variety of taste in music. I was raised on classical and some blues. It all depends upon my mood.

I seem to stick to a specific CD for a very long long time and listen to it over and over again. Right now, I'm heavily into piano playing of Dave Brubeck. His playing sounds easy, but I'm learning some of it and it's great when I figure out another passage.

I do have all my music on an ipod. It's funny. Once you get an ipod, you don't listen to cds much. My mom got an ipod before I did. At that time, I wondered why she wouldn't play cds. But you have everything at your fingertips and it's easier to play, than pulling cds out. I still buy cds though, instead of downloading because I like to read the liner notes.

I bought some Dave Brubeck recently. I listen to more blues and r&b than anything though. I used to play piano as a kid. I may start playing again pretty soon. I used to enjoy playing ragtime, when I played piano.

I like everything, just depends on my what I am in the mood for

I love blues, was born and raised on it. Albert Collins, Albert King, Stevie Ray, T-Bone Walker, Clapton, Muddy waters, Johnny Winter (for slide) and now Joe Bonnamasa.

But I also love jazz, some of the greats like miles davis, thelonious, charlie parker, oscar petersen etc. With country I only like Cash and Yokam.

I also love classical from Handel, to Chopin, to Bach to Ravel I love it all. I am also an Opera geek, with Pucini's Turondot and the aria pavarotti made famous (nessun dorma) being one of my all time favs.

i also like some of the great latin musicians like antonio carlos jobim, elvis crespo, buena vista social club etc

When i am listening to rock or metal (which is a lot) I like RUSH (my favorite band), ACDC, Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath to name a few.

In short, if there is talent on the other end of the microphone or instrument I will listen to it as I dont really seeing my tastes being limited to any genre.

I love the LA Philharmonic (saw Mozart's opera, the magic flute the day before we found out we where having triplets) and they have an incredible new director, 28 year old phenom Gustavo Dudamel from Venzuela. He's incredible and brings a rare combination of youth and passion to the classical music arena and one of the best things to happen in the LA Music scene in a long long while.

I love Johnny Cash. I also like June Carter, the Carter Sisters and the Carter Family. Chet Atkins got his start playing with Mother Maybelle and the Carter Sisters, after the Carter Family broke up.

I like Dwight Yoakam too. Just started getting into his music.

I know what you mean about having a Ipod. Since I bought one I havent listened to cds much.

*Rock, Southern Rock, Alternative, Heavy Metal- I listen to Korn, Distrbed, Godsmack, Daughtry, Hinder, Linkin Park, Maroon 5, Nickelback, Mudvayne, Powerman 5000, Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie, Seether, Sevendust, Staind, Tantric , AC/DC, ZZ Top, Pink Floyd, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bon Jovi, Queen, Metallica, Kiss, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Marshall Tucker Band, Georgia Satellites, Kid Rock & many more.

*Christian- Casting Crowns, Mercyme, Third Day, Tammy Trent, Steven Curtis Chapman, Chris Tomlin, Micheal Smith, Lincoln Brewster, Jars of Clay, Janelle & More.

*Country- Alan Jackson, Johnny Cash, Carrie Underwood, Randy Travis, Rascal Flatts, George Strait, Gretchen Wilson, Hank Williams Sr and Jr, Keith Urban, Leann Rimes, Kellie Pickler, Montgomery Gentry, Zac Brown Band, Trace Adkins, Merle Haggard, George Jones, Patsy Cline, Willie Nelson, Alabama, Tim Mcgraw, Faith Hill & more.

*Pop- The Cure, David Cook, David Archuleta, Evanescence, Gavin DeGraw, Kate Voegele, Kelly Clarkson, Leonna Lewis, Mandy Moore, Rihanna, Natasha Bedingfield, Pink, Plumb, The Fray & more..

Truck Driving Songs!

Have you heard Driving a Truck with my High Heels On? Google it. It's my kind of song. Yours too?

Back
Top Bottom