Wow... thank God for travel insurance!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
So I just got the bill for my hospital stay in Mexico back in April, due to a tonic clonic seizure I had poolside. $7,140! Thank God I purchased travel insurance... as I always do. Must admit, the care was excellent and you can't put a price on your health and well-being (even though I just did, lol). Just thought I'd share and remind all of you to ALWAYS purchase travel insurance.

That is a huge cost! Were you in the hospital for long? When I was on a trip in Mexico, a fellow traveler fell off her horse and broke her collarbone. She was taken to a small nearby hospital, given x-rays and painkillers and an overnight stay, and the charge was only a few $100 dollars. No travel insurance needed.

I've traveled overseas several times and have never needed travel insurance. I always checked with my own health insurance policy to make sure I was covered.

My son has a bad case of asthma. When he was in high school he went to Germany and had a bad asthma attack, so had to find an ER, even tho he had his own inhalant. Our insurance paid for it.

One can always go to the U.S. consulates and ask for a list of doctors names that meet U.S. standards

I should add that I had a CT scan while in hospital and was given meds intravenously. It had been 16 years since my previous (and only) tonic clonic seizure, so they probably had to rule out anything more serious. I always buy travel insurance, better safe than broke! lol

Back
Top Bottom