You start to feel old when...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
My husband's son, who's 27, was over on Sunday.

My husband and I were talking about 'goosing' someone and laughing about it. His son then asked what 'goosing' was. Both my husband couldn't believe he didn't know then explained it was when you grabbed someone's butt. His son never knew that was called 'goosing' he thought it had always been called 'grabbing someone's butt'.

Now I'm starting to feel old when younger people don't know the joking words that I used when I was younger!

Now I'm starting to feel even older! I'm only 37 by the way and I really don't consider that 'old'.

You know what a 'hicky' is? How about a 'snot rocket'?

Now I'm starting to feel even older! I'm only 37 by the way and I really don't consider that 'old'.

You know what a 'hicky' is? How about a 'snot rocket'?

hicky = love bite :)

snot rocket = I'm not too sure on that one

This could lead to a good thread about slang terms or sayings. All in good fun as long as it stays clean. :)

The internet = where anything is possible

Reality = please refer back to the internet

Last edited:
wow I must really be old if I can remember milk being delivered in glass bottles.lol

I AM OLD! I do know all of those, except snot rocket? Must be a local term. I have a feeling I know what it means. My son, who is 33, tells me many times that, "I'm stuck in the 70's!" Which is ok by me. I loved the 70's!
M

wow I must really be old if I can remember milk being delivered in glass bottles.lol

I remember that, and calling out the window to him to leave a block of cheese or an extra dozen eggs. I remember test patterns, the national anthem when TV went off the air at night, the little glass ball window thing on the front of gas pumps, cars without radios or seat belts, air-raid drills. Lotsa stuff that just ain't around no mo'.

snot rocket is something cyclist do

and i am 30 and i had heard of goosing

My son is 28 and my daughter will be 31 and they don't know some of the "terms" we used back when I was their age. But I've never heard of snot rocket, either. I do remember milk being delivered in glass bottles. Plus having no internet and only land line phones. But at least my kids do remember no computer in the home until they were in middle school. And no cell phone until high school. Oh...... the kids today........

Being quick and effective the snot rocket was invented by those who live a tissue free lifestyle. The hard part is knowing whether a nostril is ready for rocketing. If done incorrectly you will have snot dripped down your face.

I forgot to mention (among many other things) rotary dial phones and when you could specify and pay extra for a letter to go Air Mail. Also, how about dialing 0 for an operator or directory assistance or help in placing a long-distance call? Memories, memories. At least we have our long-term memories left, even though our short-term memory may be shot!

This thread needs a little "Those Were The Days". :)

Boy, the way Glenn Miller played!
Songs that made the Hit Parade.
Guys like us, we had it made.
Those were the days!

And you knew where you were then.
Girls were girls and men were men.
Mister, we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state.
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee, our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days!

Last edited:
Okay I confess...I don't have an age because like I said before... YOU ARE AS "OLD" AS YOU FEEL :)

Okay I confess...I don't have an age because like I said before... YOU ARE AS "OLD" AS YOU FEEL :)

I partly agree with that. I feel like a very young person (10? 15? 18? 19? something like that) in many ways, but I have 55 years of experience behind me to put those younger feelings into perspective, enjoy them in a way that I couldn't the first time around, and temper and enhance the feelings of being young with the experiences and feelings of being older. I definitely have an age, and I'm OK with that. Look at the Joan Baez videos I posted above. The 2009 Joan has a whole different vibe and sound than the 1977 Joan. Most musicians, artists, and normal people are that way, and it's a good thing.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention (among many other things) rotary dial phones and when you could specify and pay extra for a letter to go Air Mail. Also, how about dialing 0 for an operator or directory assistance or help in placing a long-distance call? Memories, memories. At least we have our long-term memories left, even though our short-term memory may be shot!

You beat me to all these arnie!

I remember hard and soft floppy discs for the computer. Actually found some the other day - now why on earth was I keeping those? They can never be used again!

Antenna TV, and we only had about 5 different channels where I live. You had to get up to change the channel and adjust the antenna every time.

There was no remote control tv. When we did get a remote control TV the remote was attached to the TV, at least it wasn't hard to loose it then.

Cell phones were HUGE and hardly got any reception any where.

Last edited:
I partly agree with that. I feel like a very young person (10? 15? 18? 19? something like that) in many ways, but I have 55 years of experience behind me to put those younger feelings into perspective, enjoy them in a way that I couldn't the first time around, and temper and enhance the feelings of being young with the experiences and feelings of being older. I definitely have an age, and I'm OK with that. Look at the Joan Baez videos I posted above. The 2009 Joan has a whole different vibe and sound than the 1977 Joan. Most musicians, artists, and normal people are that way, and it's a good thing.

No...numbers are a three dimensionally perceived illusion in which said illusion can not be mathematically quantified

Translation: You were dead before you were born...don't try to consciously rationalize this understanding of infinity

Back
Top Bottom