You start to feel old when...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

YES I had the old antenea and pliers for chanel changing as a kid. No home computers. I remember when PUSH BUTTON phones came out and then cordless phones (what a trip!) We were the last ones in town to get a microwave in our house. Just sayin' it was new then. And when Cable TV came to my town.. (in Maine) wow, those were the days. And you could still repair your own car! I still do but because i have no shame in, like i just bought a 1986 truck. Wow, we thought different then.

I ran into a history teacher today who told my I was a teenager to which I replied I'm not.
"respect your elders her countered." o_O I would have spent more time elaborating the subject to him but I had just finished a final and my ride had arrived. *finallllly***
I guess I'm a teenager.-. Your as old as you want to be, Janie in TTWG was 16 when she believed in love, and in the end, was about 40 when she finnally found herself. Age is an indifferent number. except when it comes to alcohol. : P turds.

Last edited:
I found my report cards from 1st to 5th grade today. They were a piece of cardboard with each subject listed on it. The teacher wrote down what your grade was A through E. If you needed work on something or if you were doing very well in it the teacher wrote about it on the report card. Your parent had to sign the report card and return it to the teacher. I don't know how things work now.

There were even cards from the teacher at the end of the school year saying how nice it was having you in their class and teaching them.

What's really bad though is I don't remember who half the teachers were, even after reading their name!

When you say to this generation of kids 'back in my day or when I grew up we spent a lto of time playing outside & didn't have a computer' lol

I feel like my grandparents or my parents when I say back when I was a kid :roflmao:

When you say to this generation of kids 'back in my day or when I grew up we spent a lto of time playing outside & didn't have a computer' lol

I feel like my grandparents or my parents when I say back when I was a kid :roflmao:

I say this all the time!!!!

We didn't have cellphones to play on or video games (except pong) either. We rode our bikes, climbed trees, played in the sand box, went to the park and in the winter we had snow ball fights!

Never thought of being old by saying it though until you brought it up - THANKS :mad:

Never thought of being old by saying it though until you brought it up - THANKS :mad:
Aw sorry Valerie,
I didn't mean to make you feel old :paperbag:

We didn't have cellphones to play on or video games (except pong) either. We rode our bikes, climbed trees, played in the sand box, went to the park and in the winter we had snow ball fights!
I'm from a big family, youngest of 6. We spent a lot the time outside playing either riding our bikes or climbing the trees in our yard.
It doesn't snow where I live so no snow fights lol.

If I wasn't playing outside I was playing leggo with my brothers, playing with my barbie dolls with my sister or we would all play board games.

The closest we had to a computer was a commodore 64 which we had to share & take turns to play lol.

We still own our Commodore 64 though it's been a few years since we've had a play!

I was joking with a younger friend the other day, and made (what I thought) was a witty wisecrack regarding removing the tabs from video cassettes to protect the movies you never wanted to tape over (Mannequin, anyone?). She didn't know what I was referring to (and had never seen the movie, to boot)

I was joking with a younger friend the other day, and made (what I thought) was a witty wisecrack regarding removing the tabs from video cassettes to protect the movies you never wanted to tape over (Mannequin, anyone?). She didn't know what I was referring to (and had never seen the movie, to boot)

I remember doing that with both Video & cassette tape & if you did decide to tape over the movie you just put a little bit of sticky tape over the part where the tab was lol.

I remember doing that with both Video & cassette tape & if you did decide to tape over the movie you just put a little bit of sticky tape over the part where the tab was lol.

I did this too!

Do you remember floppy discs for computers were about 5 inches square and actually floppy?

I did this too!

Do you remember floppy discs for computers were about 5 inches square and actually floppy?
Yep I remember them, I think we had to use those type of disks to store our information on when we had computer classes in High School (early 1990s).

I remember when I was in High School the computer game everyone played was 'Where in the world is Carmen Sandiago?' :roflmao:

CQ:) I remember when I was in High School the computer game everyone played was 'Where in the world is Carmen Sandiago?' :roflmao:[/QUOTE said:
I remember that! My geography teacher had a very easy ride that year - I don't think we pulled out a schoolbook once but took turns playing it on the sole computer :)

I remember that! My geography teacher had a very easy ride that year - I don't think we pulled out a schoolbook once but took turns playing it on the sole computer :)
I think we got to play it in computer class as it was the only class we used the computers.

If I remember right the only class that we had computers in was our computer class. I took typing on those computers and I think Windows was a pretty new thing at the time. I'm not positive but I don't think the internet was out in full force yet, I know we didn't have it at home.

The only real thing I did in computer class was learn how to write programs on BASIC. I don't even think we had games to play on the computers. I was so mad when everything started to be done in Windows because everything I learned in computers just went down the drain.

Do kids even have to take typing in school now? I know it was mandatory when I went. People are so amazed that I know how to actually type with two hands and not have to look at the keyboard. Most of the kids that I see now just finger peck, they can do it pretty fast though.

i took typing in highschool, but that was 10 some odd years ago, i don't know if they do know.

computer class was questionable for me, it was to teach me how to use win 98. but really taught me how deal with drunk teachers.

I remember when Santa, the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy stopped coming to the house at night.

My parents told me that there were so many kids out there that Santa couldn't make it to all of their houses in one night so he'd just bring my presents to the house on and off before Christmas and leave them with my parents to put under the tree. I was scared to death that I wasn't going to get anything for Christmas after that but Santa did what they told me he was going to. I think I was 18 and still told my parents that I believed in Santa. I thought that if they knew the truth about him then I wasn't going to get anything at all for Christmas!

The best was the time I lost a tooth and when I woke up I couldn't find the quarter that the Tooth Fairy put under the pillow. I know I searched and searched for that thing pulling the bed apart. When my dad came into my bedroom I told him the Tooth Fairy didn't leave me a quarter. He put his hand under the pillow and did a little rubbing around and pulled out a quarter. I couldn't believe that he'd found it and I didn't. Wonder why? :ponder:

I know the real reason the Tooth Fairy stopped coming though - I had lost all my teeth. I was so mad about that, it meant no more quarters to put in the piggy bank!

Last edited:
Yep I remember them, I think we had to use those type of disks to store our information on when we had computer classes in High School (early 1990s).

I remember when I was in High School the computer game everyone played was 'Where in the world is Carmen Sandiago?' :roflmao:

carmen-sandiego.jpg

If I remember right the only class that we had computers in was our computer class. I took typing on those computers and I think Windows was a pretty new thing at the time. I'm not positive but I don't think the internet was out in full force yet, I know we didn't have it at home.
When I was in high school we had to do typing using electric typewriters in year 7 & 8 then we did computers in 9 & 10.

How many people know what a 'cootie' is? I still always tell people that they have them.

I also tell people that they have 'scabies' and that I have them too. When I was at the dr once I was going through my medicine bag and found a cream for a rash that I had. I always joked that that cream was 'scabies cream' because the rash was 'scabies'. That's when I found out that 'scabies' is an actual thing. Scabies is a tiny bug that gets into your skin, causes a rash and makes you very itchy. It's highly contagious. Scared the dr half to death when I told her I had them! (Loved it though because I HATED the dr!!!)

I still tell people that they have 'scabies' that that I do too! I DON'T have 'cooties' though!!!! :lol:

OK, showing my age. Fastest typer (portable) in 7th grade. Learned to program Fortran first year of college, Basic programming later on. Still know DOS. sort of lost my nerdiness after Windows - didn't keep up with the programming. Had one of the first e-mails (Prodigy?) and AOL since the beginning. When I started in my career our "live" stock prices were 20 minutes delayed on a central terminal. CNBC had just started....

This sounds a lot like me when I was in high school BlueCat.

I'm not sure if I ever learned anything about Fortran or not but I loved writing programs with Basic. I was very good at it too. I was so mad when Windows came out because program writing wasn't anything that really needed done any more.

I don't remember much of DOS. That got wiped out with my first seizure, I lost about 10 years of memory. Wish I did though, it'd be fun to try and write a program. I'm not sure how I'd begin to write one now with Windows out there.

Back
Top Bottom