acyclovir can treat herpes caused temporal lobe epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I have the link, but there is a message that says I cant post it. Posted what I could.

Adult-onset temporal lobe epilepsy associated with smoldering herpes simplex 2 infection
Marcia E. Cornford, MD, PhD and Georges F. McCormick, MD

From the Department of Pathology (Dr. Cornford), Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA, and the Neurology Department (Dr. McCormick), Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA.
Supported by Harbor-UCLA Research and Education Institute Initial Support of New Faculty Grant BA-7555. Glaxo-Wellcome, Inc. provided Valtrex for this patient under a compassionate plea investigational New Drug application.
Received April 23, 1996. Accepted in final form July 2, 1996.
Address correspondence and reprint requests to Dr Cornford, Department of Pathology, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, 1000 W. Carson Street, Torrance, CA 90509.

Article abstract-A 40-year-old man with chronic genital herpes simplex infection developed partial complex temporal lobe seizures of insidious onset, with EEG and MRI evidence of a unilateral temporal lobe destructive, atrophic process. Extensive workup did not reveal an infectious etiology. Three years of escalating number and severity of daily seizures with memory loss led to temporal lobectomy. Histologic study revealed active, low-level viral infection in the resected hippocampus and temporal lobe cortex, with immunohistochemical evidence for infection by herpes simplex 2, principally in neurons. In situ hybridization confirmed the presence of herpes simplex virus in neurons. Anticonvulsant-resistant seizure episodes began to recur several times daily soon after surgery, but the addition of acyclovir to the treatment regimen resulted in a substantial reduction in seizure occurrence, maintained for the subsequent 2.5 years.

NEUROLOGY 1997;48: 425-430

Last edited:
If you

want, put the link in as www(dot)xyz(com), and I will enable the link for you...

Very interesting. This is the second reference (that I'm aware of) linking a herpes virus strain to problems with the hippocampus and resulting in temporal lobe epilepsy. See here for the first one:

Thank you. read the other one befor posting. It is what lead me to this one.

Back
Top Bottom