[Research] Article I found on yahoo Childs weight loss

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi Athena,

I read it and found it quite interesting...like you say it could be anorexia but there's many underlining issues which can cause weight problems, wheather it be in children or adults.

I found this link on children and possible symptoms which can cause lack of appetite and weightloss...as a good many children won't express themselves sometimes, so the problems can be helped :)

http://nobullying.com/what-causes-loss-of-appetite-in-children/

Thought I would post this here because they believed depekote lowered the hunger level the boy had.
Actually "they" don't believe it lowered his hunger level. What the article said was
His local pediatrician is researching whether Depakote, a brand of valproic acid used to treat the condition, may be toxic to the hypothalamus, although he’s yet to find any evidence of this in the medical literature. And this isn’t a particularly promising avenue to explore, since the drug is often associated with an uptick in appetite and weight gain.

I interpret that to mean that just 1 pediatrician is confirming that it isn't the depakote and that there is a very minimal chance that depakote is the cause, especially since this is the only ever reported incident of someone on depakote having this reaction and because the side-effects are usually an increase in appetite.

I do doubt this has anything to do with anorexia because anorexia is more involved with a person restricting themselves from eating whereas in this article it talks about a persons actual lack of hunger which is very different.

Back
Top Bottom