[Info] Doctors and Compassion

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

epileric

Veteran
Reaction score
This is just the first paragraph but I found the whole article made excellent sense to me.
It is during a surgery rotation when a medical student perhaps feels least competent. Not only is there an enormous amount of book learning, there are the physical skills that take years to develop. Most of the time you pull on a retractor and answer questions, record vitals and pull out drains. My instructor, who in the OR hurled Spanish invectives like scalpels and called every med student, “Pullgoddamyou”, was gentle as a kitten with conscious patients. When I was in his office an elderly woman came in for a superficial biopsy. He had treated her for years and she trusted him. After spending time talking to her and calming her, he numbed up the area and went to work. But the patient was tearful, from the pain and also from the knowledge that the biopsy was not going to give her good news. I reached up an took her hand, then quickly released it, uncomfortable with my spontaneous act of intimacy. Dr. Gruff looked at me and said, “No! Hold her hand! That is compassion, that is being a doctor!”

Think Like a Doctor, Part II

At the end of every appointment, I always shake hands with the Doctor, neurologist or consultant. Some look surprised when I hold out my hand but all shake my hand. I think in a professional situation, ie an appointment with a professional, it is important to remind them you are human and that they are human too!

ps., they probably reach for the hand scrub once I've left the office because any human contact can spread disease and this is in everyone's mind these days.

Nick
xx

At my appointment yesterday when I was talking with with my neuro.
He started talking why mess with my medication., I've never done this well with my seizures.
I reminded him it happened after I got my pacemaker.
He said he knows of one other patient it's happened to also.
I ask him if he's ever taken meds for life.

Belinda

Back
Top Bottom