[Info] E- Yoga

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

nia

we have a nia school close to where I live. I am thinking about checking it out, as they do offer yoga, as well as dance.

I've been

considering doing yoga for a while, but I have some back problems, so I don't know if I should or not. I mean, I DO have great flexiblity, which is totally shocking to the doctors (I'm stubborn, and use mind over matter)--but still....

This looks good though. But I'd have to do it when no one's around. Everyone here makes fun of me.

See if you can do some of the adapted poses Meetz. *i know you posted awhile ago, and you still exist, which means you'll probably read this :) *

They have adapted poses that they use in senior centers and adapt them based on the persons incapabilities and capabilities. So they can probably get you to some while you sit or lay down.

^^What she said. Adapted poses, if you're not able to do the pose as it is. Most yoga studios prefer you to take their introductory class, where they'll teach you the poses plus all the adaptations. You can also talk to a respected yoga instructor to find out what they recommend regarding your back. Also -- a good instructor will be knowledgeable about any limitations you might have with E.

Yoga is designed to re-align and straighten the back and posture, and it could benefit you, because your injury is probably forcing you to compensate, so you stand and move differently, progressively making other parts of your back stiff, sore and spasm.

While I've never had a serious back injury (such as yourself), I did have one that hurt enough to make my knees buckle if I moved the wrong way (and I swear, I'm not a total wimp like my SIL). The first week I saw no improvement despite back meds. The second, I started doing yoga to work it out, and the improvement was exponential -- despite the pain when I tried walking or lying down, I found it didn't hurt so much while I did the poses and I rarely had to modify them.

MAKE SCOTT DO YOGA!!!!!!!

but he might think that is girly

Actually, we've talked about it and he wants to, but we can't afford the intro classes right now (yoga ain't cheap!). We're working on a savings plan, so we can do yoga and tai chi together.

Soon, soon...

Really???

We have free intro courses. and then you can choose Hot Yoga, or normal. plus you can join smaller groups which you pay for. The free classes have large amounts of people and if you dont go early its too full for you to go.

I live in the land of vanity yoga -- nothing is free. At least, not the intro courses, and the memberships aren't cheap either. There are some free classes, but like you said, they're so overfilled, you can't actually do the yoga you came to do, and they're not conducive to learning either. Part of a positive yoga experience is having a class small enough that you can get one-on-one attention if you need it, being part of the masses kind of defeats the purpose of going to a class. You might as well get a book or a DVD instead.

My Wii fit has Yoga but I'm pretty sure I'm not completing some of the positions appropriately. Who probabliy be better if I had a teacher to show me what I'm doing wrong.

I have the Wii fit Yoga too. Some of the positions are pretty straightforward, but I agree -- it's much better to have someone who can give feedback and make adjustments.

epileric, quoting your article relatating to deep breathing for persons with Epilepsy.

Pranayama or Deep Diaphragmatic Breathing
As a person slips into a seizure state, s/he should reflexively catch and hold their breath, as if startled or frightened. This causes changes in metabolism, blood flow, and oxygen levels in the brain. The practice of Pranayana i.e. controlled deep diaphragamatic breathing helps restore normal resperation, which can reduce the chances of going into a seizure or stop seizures before they become full blown.

Some years ago I attended the Yoga Institute in Manhattan weekly and am very familiar with Pranayama breathing. At the time I was not diagnosed with Eplipsey. Two years ago, when I had my first seizure (TC) there was some upset in the household and I went to a quiet room to practice Pranayama breathing. Suddenly, my breathing spiraled out of control and was aware that I was furiuously hyperventilating. Absolutely nothing I could do about it. The next thing I remember was being hauled up into the gurny. Then an oxegen mask slapped on.

And here we have another school of thought, which given my experience, I think should be strongly considered.

We give instructions to breathe deeper, our main and favorite instruction. As Sokolov wrote in the “Literaturnaya gazeta” [“Literary newspaper”], “Breathe deeper, but is it necessary?”
We say “it is necessary”! [Do it] again, in order to cause these attacks. How soon? In 1-5 minutes. The sick patient sees that it is not hypnosis or psychotherapy, it is the law of physiology. And we again cause attacks of asthma, stenocardia, and epileptic seizures. For over 50 years it has been known that deep breathing triggers epileptic seizures.

Light paced breathing, in my mind, is the way to go. We're all wired differently but the question is "Why take chances?". Aside from Pranyama breathing, yoga is something I practice daily. No classes now. Just DVD's. I love nothing more than stretching in the morning.

http://www.normalbreathing.com/learn-1A-HVPT-test.php

Last edited:
ouch

I went to the website to try the deep breathing test. It is as always, I get dizzy breathing deep. Kept going anyway, and it felt like my head was in a vise, squeezing the sides of my head.
I started to hold my breath for a count of four in, hold two, out four, hold two. Soon got back to normal.
I need to do a better job at controlling my breathing, cuz they are stepping up the harassment at work.

Hey, Shelley. If you feel like your head's in a vice you've got one strong warning right there. There's nothing worse than harrassment at work. I know! And controlled breathing is important especially when under stress. Stick to that light breathing and concentrate on the breathing.

I am Indian but not very clued up on the medicinal benefits of Yoga. But my mum is in the UK and she has dozens of CDs by a "yoga - guru-of-the-moment" called Ramdev (a bit controversial).She absolutely believes in his teachings of yoga and when I chat to her about alternative trestments for epilepsy she insists I get my son to start yoga.I usually don't just jump on a bandwagon ,but try and do reesearch first. I have done a bit so far and the one thing about pranayama I found is that it is that there are many forms and some should be done slowly and gradually.
This website looks at one of the forms and warns against hyperventilation and checking with doctors..etc beforehand.

I also think that a well informed and experienced yoga teacher should advise on poses/breathing contraindications (so long as they are told!).
This website tells the reader not to perform a particular type of pranayama:

<Author's note: it is better to do soft humming that gently reverberates in the sinuses and the skull rather than powerful vibration. Four to five repetitions of Bhramari is plenty. People with epilepsy, head trauma or tumor, migraine, severe or persistent headaches should avoid Bhramari>
I think there probably is merit in the deep breathing,relaxation and yoga techniques but using a well exprienced teacher who knows about the rules and possible effects on epilepsy.Maybe one on one to begin with. I suppose it also has to do with cost and availability (again!)

Sorry - had to remove the website links as I haven't been here long enough

Hey, Meetz,

I have back problems, too, and am actually TOO flexible. The physical therapist suggested Tai Chi, which tends to stabilize the back and neck, with many of the same benefits of Yoga. I tried it, and I think it really helped me relax, as well as being deceptively good exercise.

yoga

My dad got me into yoga and buddhism. He's very into eastern religion.

I don't know how much it helps, but it is good for the body and the mind. I taught myself from a book.

I probably have the only dad in the world who is constantly telling his daughter to stand on her head.

Very emotional during asana

Hi everyone,

This is my first post. It is wonderful to find another epilepsy site. I was wondering if anyone has ever had the same emotional feeling during yoga. I felt good and didn't feel emotional at all, but when I was a pretty intense yoga positions, I felt like I was going to cry. These tears were not coming from pain, but from something deep inside. The next day I had a GMS. I don't know if this was connected or not. I am trying to find out if anyone else has ever experienced this.

Share with me your thoughts :)

Suzee

Back
Top Bottom