[Research] Epilepsy & Migraines — Kissing Cousins

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
A strong relationship between migraines and epilepsy has long been suspected. But now it is fact, according to extensive research cited by Steven Karceski, MD in Practical Neurology Magazine.

People with epilepsy are more than twice as likely to develop migraine headaches as those without the disorder. Research showed that more than 20 percent of people with epilepsy have migraines, compared to 11 percent of the general population.

Evidence supports the coexistence of migraines with the following conditions:

* In migraine sufferers, 6% have epilepsy, more than ten times than the general population.

* In one study, people and their relatives who are diagnosed with epilepsy were found to be approximately 2.4 times more likely to have migraines than the control group.

* In another epilepsy study, about 16% of those people who had migraines also experienced epileptic seizures before, during or after a migraine.

* While most migraine sufferers do not have epilepsy and most people with epilepsy do not suffer from migraines, these findings still indicate a significant “overlap” of both conditions.

Epilepsy and migraines share common features, including the fact that both are episodic. Also, they share many common triggers. Foods such as chocolates, aged cheese, and red wine may trigger migraine headaches. Alcohol (or alcohol withdrawal) can provoke a seizure. Emotional stress, poor sleep, fatigue or flashing lights are often a trigger for both seizures and headaches.

And this migraine-epilepsy duo also share some of the same symptoms: headache, abdominal pain, awareness and EEG abnormalities. A person may have a seizure on one occasion and a classic attack of migraine on another.

Interestingly, both share common treatment options as well. The goal is to eliminate the events and prevent side effects, too. So, when a person has both epilepsy and migraines, it is logical to try to “consolidate” treatments and use one medication for both conditions.

Research shows that Depacon (Valproate) and Topamax (Topiramate) are effective in treating migraines and epilepsy. And each has FDA approval for treating them together. Depakote (Divalproex Sodium) also works for both, creating a therapeutic “two-fer.”

There are also several other anti-epileptic drugs that have also been shown to lessen migraine headaches – such as Neurontin (Gabapentin), Keppra, (Levetiracetam) and Zonegran (Zonisamide). However, the dose of AEDs in the treatment of migraines is usually lower than that used for epilepsy.

Drug-to-drug interactions may occur, potentially limiting the effectiveness of prescribed medications. Until further studies are completed, these agents must be used cautiously in people with either seizures, migraines, or both.

Resources:

Steven Karceski, MD, Practical Neurology, March 2007

http://www.columbiaepilepsy.org/docs/patients/March 2007.pdf

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/record/archives/vol20/vol20_iss16/record2016.15.html

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/20011979/Epilepsy-Migraine—More-than-just-a-headache/

http://www.realage.com/check-your-h.../medical-conditions-associated-with-migraines

I would like to add, from my research, a deficiency in magnesium can cause both symptoms.

I didn't start experiencing migraines until after brain surgery, and then they can happen whenever. None of the AEDs have helped me with the headaches either.

I agree they are linked. I used to have migraines daily. My seizure diary showed me that my migraines were postictal. When we stopped the seizures, the migraines stopped. And I was on a drug that does not affect or prevent migraines (Trileptal), so we know it was the seizures and not the drug. Now I only have migraines when I have a seizure. I'm hoping someday that's never. (Now it's every 2 weeks or so)

Migraines

After following up some info from the forum I realized that my info on Migraines was NOT UP TO DATE! I never realized that I COULD be suffering with something like a hemiplegic or anecephalic migraine types. In August I was suffering continuosly with a numbness on he left side of my brain and also a numbness on my left leg. I was panic at first then realized I had this before, So I just upped my Xanax and it did alleviate, however though uncomfortable there was't what I would call pain.I cut back almost every trigger I could think of.It would come and go at different times of the day and I was also having the disoreintation. and Light sensitivty. Motion problems .I got so desparate at one point I drank quite a bit of Jack Daniels trying to get relief, worked for a short while. Then poof it ended.Minorly I had a touch in the last few weeks.I was so sensitive I stayed off the computer for long periods of time and was made as I wasn't able to enjoy summer.Trust me I like in Wi and we don't get much of it. (LOL)
When I get to go to the Doctor I will mention it.

Back
Top Bottom