[Info] Food Allergies

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
In case reports, specific foods were implicated in epilepsy causation; the avoidance of symptom-evoking foods resulted in a reduction in seizure frequency or elimination of seizures. In a study of 63 children with epilepsy, identification and avoidance of allergenic foods was frequently successful for patients who had other symptoms suggestive of allergy, but not for children who had epilepsy alone.

For four weeks, 63 children with epilepsy underwent an elimination diet consisting of lamb, chicken, potato, rice, banana, apple, cabbage, sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumber, celery, carrots, parsnips, water, salt, pepper, pure herbs, calcium and vitamins. Of 18 children who had epilepsy alone, none improved. The other 45 children with epilepsy also had recurrent migraines, abdominal symptoms, or hyperkinetic behavior. Of those children, 55.6 % stopped having seizures and an additional 24.4% had fewer seizures during diet therapy (a total of 80% with complete or partial resolution of seizures). Headaches, abdominal pains, and hyperkinetic behavior resolved in all patients whose seizures resolved, as well as in some patients who continued to have seizures. Symptoms were evoked by 42 different foods, and seizures occurred after ingestion of 31 different foods. Most children reacted to several foods. Both generalized epilepsy (including myoclonic seizures and petit mal) and partial epilepsy improved on the diet. In double-blind, placebo-controlled food challenges, symptoms recurred in 15 of 16 children, including seizures in 8 cases, after ingestion of offending foods; whereas, no symptoms recurred when placebo was given.

The prevalence of celiac disease has been found to be higher in patients with epilepsy than in controls (1/44 vs 1/244, respectively). Seizures have improved in patients with celiac disease who consumed a gluten-free diet, but only when the diet was started soon after the onset of epilepsy. Most epileptic patients with celiac disease did not have gastrointestinal symptoms at the time of presentation, so testing for celiac disease should be considered even in the absence of such symptoms. Some patients with epilepsy and celiac disease have also been found to have cerebral calcifications, the significance of which is not clear.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FDN/is_1_12/ai_n19170695/

Well, I

am one of the E patients who's been diagnosed the celiac disease, but only just recently...after more than 40 years as an E patient. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for the celiac diet to really help me, but because I've been on the GARD for a while now, I don't think it will take too long. At least, I hope not....

I sure hope so, M. It will be wonderful news when you can reduce the meds that you are on, and begin to feel well. It makes so much sense though doesn't it, that when you damage the intestinal lining that there will be consequences to your health. I am trying to understand when people "fight" this idea.

I don't

understand why they're fighting it, either. Right now, I'm working on getting my special needs son on the celiac diet also. I don't see how it could possibly harm him, and with his Asperger's, I think it could only HELP him.

Tell him he might not realize that damage is being done. My son ended up with bleeding, and has quite a reaction to gluten these days. Since he is off it most days, when he accidentally ingests it, he gets an attack. Something is still not right, because eating causes him head to the loo. He lives on his own though so I can't help him to monitor it. He is looking for a good shopping list, and plan to follow. I sent him to www.celiac.com Great info there.

I found

a GREAT shopping list.........in a book that someone recommended to me, called Gluten Free Diet by Shelley Case. All sorts of good stuff in there. Resources about RDA info, companies that make all sorts of various goods, and their websites as well as where they can be found in terms of retail shops, plus recipes.

I will check this out. Being single it is hard to know how to shop and not have good food wasted due to spoilage. He has put in a veggie garden at his new place, but little does he know how much care they take. I do like his thinking though. Problem is he then goes out with his buddies and has a beer. I have suggested the gluten free kind, but he is having difficulty finding them.

That book

actually LISTS the gluten free beers for you....so he'll like that, I'm sure. :bigsmile:

I will check it out for him. Problem is, that many places the young people go, wouldn't have that beer in their collection. Perhaps he can ask for them to carry it, but most of the time here in L.A. dining around town is the fun of it.

stomach lining

Ok I can not remember which site I read this on. Maybe was on a site about celiac diet. The Chinese (in China) live into old age with very few ailments. Speculation says it is because they drink hot tea with their meals, which helps keep the bad stuff from sticking to the stomach lining (can't remember scientific jargon). Sound familiar to anyone?

Back
Top Bottom