fungal foods to avoid

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Molly97

New
Reaction score
Or A Fungus Amongus

Here is a list of foods which have been scientifically documented in the International Food Microbial 20-211-226. They should be avoided because they are high inpleomorphic bacteria, yeast, fungus and mold and produce mycotoxins that have been documented to cause specific diseases and very specific organ lesions in both animals and in humans and should never be ingested and if any, only in very small amounts. Also, recent studies involving soybean oil, once also thought to be beneficial, may actually cause tumors.

www.dldewey.com/hydroil.htm

The actual list of foods referred to in the above quote can be found at this link http://www.dldewey.com/foodsno.htm

Thoughts on eggs and GARD??? Conflicting?

Well....if I read it right, it says cooked eggs are ok, as long as you don't store them and then eat them again, as in leftovers. I read somewhere in that article our bodies can tolerate the low amounts of fungus in cooked foods. The problem appears to come from eating them raw, as in the case of mushrooms in a salad, or cold after several days of storage in the refrigerator, as in the case of cheese.

The question of eggs concerns boiling eggs and then storing them in the refrigerator for several days and eating off them. I know someone who hard-boils a dozen eggs at a time and then eats them through the week. What the article appears to be saying is that the longer these "high-fungal" foods are stored, the more apt they are for the fungus to come alive again.

Now, this presents a real problem for me. My hubby is on the road, away from home completely for six days at a time. I make a point of cooking a lot on his first day gone, setting myself up for several meals in advance. This article suggests that I don't want to do that. I eat a lot of chicken; I roast it and then put it in air-tight containers in the fridge. Chicken is on the list. I keep cheese in the deli drawer for several weeks for my hubby. That's a no-no as well.

Well, the good thing about this is: my hubby has been trying to get me to lay off the raw mushrooms in salads, and mushrooms in anything. He hates mushrooms! LOL. So, it would appear that he's been right when he's said they're no good for me.

I couldn't find the article on the foods containing fungus.

Eggs are a staple here in my house. I do occasionally cook up half a dozen at a time to make into egg salad throughout the week. Scrambled in the AM for a good source of protein. Rebecca loves it with chopped avocado on top.

Mushrooms are not high on our list.

Wow! That link was very enlightening. I'm going to start reading all labels. This was great timing for me because I was about to go to the store. Does Stevia seem to be a better choice now?

Wow! That link was very enlightening. I'm going to start reading all labels. This was great timing for me because I was about to go to the store. Does Stevia seem to be a better choice now?

See this link about Stevia http://www.mercola.com/nutritionplan/advanced_carbs.htm

I personally use no artificial sweeteners; hubby has tried Stevia and complains of a bitter aftertaste. He has gone back to just a little sugar in his coffee.

Here's the abstract of the original article:
A comprehensive study was carried out of the fungi occuring in commodities normally traded in Thailand. Samples of major commodities were obtained from farmers' stocks and middlemen in major producing areas throughout the country. Retail samples were obtained from outlets in and around Bangkok. Samples were divided into two portions, one being examined in Bangkok, and the second in Sydney. After surface disinfection, fungi were enumerated by direct plating on dichloran rose bengal chloramphenicol agar, dichloran 18% glycerol agar, Aspergillus flavus and parasiticus agar and dichloran chloramphenicol peptone agar. Figures for percentage infection were calculated, and fungi were isolated and identified to species level. In all 602 samples were examined, and at North Ryde about 18 000 fungal isolates identified. Data obtained from 329 samples are reported here, comprising maize (154), peanuts (109), cashews (45) and copra (21). Major fungi in maize included Fusarium moniliforme (present in 97% of samples), Aspergillus flavus (85%), Penicillium citrinum (67%), Aspergillus niger (64%), Lasiodiplodia theobromae (58%) and Fusarium semitectum (45%). In peanuts, the major fungi were Aspergillus flavus (95% of samples), Aspergillus niger (86%), Rhizopus oryzae (60%), Eurotium rubrum (51%), Macrophomina phaseolina (49%), Penicillium citrinum (46%) and Eurotium chevalieri (46%). Invasion in cashews was lower, major fungi being Aspergillus flavus (60%), Nigrospora oryzae (58%), Aspergillus niger (53%), Chaetomium globosum (47%) and Eurotium chevalieri (40%). Aspergillus flavus (86% of samples) was again dominant in copra, with Rhizopus oryzae (52%), Aspergillus niger (43%), Eurotium chevalieri (43%) the only other species exceeding 40% infection. Aspergillus parasiticus was rarely seen, and Aspergillus nomius was reported from foods for the first time.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...serid=10&md5=f48b31d9b495b024f0380f746ac44885

I realize that this is the abstract of the article sited by Dewey but there are many more articles over on Microbial as well; each one focuses on a single fungus. There is more to this than there appears on the surface.

Back
Top Bottom