Coping With Epilepsy Medikidz Comic Book Explains Epilepsy
Sponsored Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Peer Support > The Library

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2009, 11:47 PM
Venerable Voice of CWE

Herbs that help?

I was just thinking about this, because we've discovered that Rooibos tea is particularly effective in helping my partner's nausea. Rooibos doesn't interact with his meds, and may even help with the sporadic muscle spasms he has in the evening. We're putting it to the test tonight. He's been dreading bedtime, because he's been twitching all day, and that usually means a restless night (I'll let you know how it goes).

I figured maybe we could have a thread about this, since I haven't seen one yet: do you have any safe, effective and legal herbs (the illegal one already has its own thread ) you can recommend, that help you?
Add Post to del.icio.usStumble this Post!Reddit!
Old 12-21-2009, 08:24 AM
Your Host

Thanked 1,633 Times in 594 Posts
Epilepsy Ontario has a decent page on herbs:

http://www.epilepsyontario.org/clien....nsf/web/Herbs

You might also find Dr. Schachter's internet radio program interesting (you'll have to listen to the program - I didn't transcribe it all) as he talks a bit about his research into herbs as a treatment for epilepsy.
New to CWE? I suggest reading the proactive prescription and epilepsy 101 threads. Also check out this chart of alternative epilepsy treatments and this page on EEG Neurofeedback. More great stuff can be found in the list of the best forum threads.

Would you like to help support this forum?
Old 12-21-2009, 09:49 AM
Venerable Voice of CWE

Thanks for the post Bernard -- interesting info. I'll have to listen to the radio show in a little bit.

I was surprised to see Ginko Biloba listed on Epilepsy Ontario -- the reference my local health food store uses says it's a no-no if you're on anti-convulsants, or anti-depressants (my partner is on both). I suppose they're recommending it in lieu of meds? Does anyone take this despite the warning?

The rooibos tea, bye the way, calmed his twitchiness down, and he didn't sleep too roughly last night, so yay!
Old 12-21-2009, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator / Spaminator

Thanked 1,128 Times in 842 Posts
According to my book "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" by Phyllis A. Balch,
Black Cohosh, Hyssop & Lobelia all have a calming effect on the Central Nervous System & are thus good for lessening seizures. It says to alternate them for best result gives a Caution about using Black Cohosh during pregnancy.
It also says Alfalfa is a good source of needed minerals.

From personal experience, I've tried the 3 herbs suggested for E & there might have been a good effect. I was having more seizures than normal for a couple of days & they lessened back to normal (about 1 a day) when I started the herbs. I can't say definitively whether it was the herbs or not but I"m glad they lessened.

I've also found Valerian & Catnip to help by giving me deeper sleep.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:10 AM

Also.....

My book says that the herb Sage should be avoided by those with seizures.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Venerable Voice of CWE

Interesting -- Black cohosh has no known drug interactions according to the database at the health food store, but lobelia apparently is contraindicated with anti-depressants.

Hyssop isn't even listed on there. I'll have to look into that one further.

Thanks you for the info Epileric!
Old 12-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Weaving the Community Fabric

Originally Posted by epileric View Post:
My book says that the herb Sage should be avoided by those with seizures.
My book says no rosemary, one of my favorite herbs.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Molly97 View Post:
My book says no rosemary, one of my favorite herbs.
I've only read about rosemary being contraindicated for seizures in aromatherapy books but I always used to have a seizure within a short time of eating at this specific restaurant. I always had lots of their bread because it was so good. I later found out it was rosemary that made it that way. & yes... the seizures did stop when I stopped having their bread.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:59 PM

I recently read that Bacopa is a good herb for reducing seizures and the memory issues that can go along with anti-epileptic drugs.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:49 PM

That is interesting about the rosemary - I had not heard that before. Thanks for sharing that.
Isn't rooibos lovely stuff? I had never noticed that it helped with seizures, but it sure speeds recovery of a virus. And my kids will drink it.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:49 PM

Just came across this article

Quote :
The consumption of popular Chinese herbal products containing aristolochic acid is associated with an increased risk of urinary tract cancer, a study in Taiwan has found.

Aristolochic acid, known as Mu Tong in Chinese, is found naturally in some herbs that are used in Chinese herbal products to treat hepatitis, urinary tract infection, rhinitis, dysmenorrhea and eczema.
http://www.nationalpost.com/life/hea...tml?id=2368164

It might be an idea to see if an herb contains aristolochic acid before over-indulging in it.
The Following User Says Thank You to epileric For This Useful Post:
IMgood1 (01-05-2010)
Old 12-26-2009, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator / Fantastico
Recent Blog: Kindness is

I'm going

have to try that rooibos tea you're all talking about. I've had some twitching going on, and I'd rather not increase the meds I'm already on. I use some herbal teas already anyway but adding that to my repertoire certainly won't hurt!!! Thanks for the info....
Old 12-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Venerable Voice of CWE

Meetz -- not everybody likes the taste or smell of rooibos, so maybe buy a little at first. My partner didn't like it the first time he tried it, but by the second time he was getting used to it. There are varieties of Rooibos tea with vanilla added, which are very nice.

Also, because there isn't much in the way of tannins in there, you can brew it much longer than regular tea without any bitterness. It should be brewed for at least 5 minutes (although 10 is better), to release all the anti-oxidant qualities of the tea. You can make half a cup and top the rest with hot water if the flavour is too strong.

/OCD tea-making discussion
Old 12-29-2009, 04:11 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Billyboyboo
Just my experience, NO Saint John's wart.

I was on a med that was taking my hair out, I used Silica, good stuff, it helps hair, it comes in shampoo and conditioner or a vitamin.

Just my 2 cents

Billy.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:59 AM

occb - I'm quite surprised. I think it smells like fruity berries. But you are right. As with anything, start off slowly.

Billyboyboo - What happened with the St. John's wort? It didn't really do anything for me one way or another.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:39 PM
Venerable Voice of CWE

Thanked 1,868 Times in 966 Posts
I have an interest in exploring different herbs but read that they can be dangerous when interacting with medications. Does anyone have a take on this?

Holistic practitioners and medical doctors are known for butting heads.
"I'm not only my spirit but my body, and who can decide how much I, my individual self, am conditioned by the accident of my body? Would Byron have been Byron but for his club foot, or Dostoyevsky Dostoyevsky without his epilepsy" Somerset Maugham

The Writer's Cafe'
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f44/
Temporal Lobe Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deDrV...eature=related
Old 12-29-2009, 03:05 PM

From what I read about Bacopa, it is supposed to decrease seizure activity while helping the brain to resist the mental decline that can happen with anti-epileptic drugs.

I don't have any articles to site, but I did a search a few weeks ago and found some good information.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:30 PM

If you learn more about it let us know. This sounds promising. It also looks like Western (allopathic) medicine is looking into bacopa. And having a better memory, which it is purported to facilitate, would make my life easier.

But it is so frustrating. I am sure we have all tried so many combos of meds/supplements/lifestyle changes, what's one more?
Old 01-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Venerable Voice of CWE

Originally Posted by Cinnabar View Post:
I have an interest in exploring different herbs but read that they can be dangerous when interacting with medications. Does anyone have a take on this?

Holistic practitioners and medical doctors are known for butting heads.
You have to be very careful with taking herbs, and always consult a reliable source or an trustworthy herbalist before you do. Herbs can interact with meds, or may worsen underlying health conditions (For example, few people know that individuals with asthma should not take Echinacea because it could cause a serious asthma attack). I use the reference room guide for a local health food store for help, and so far, so good. It's very detailed, and if I have any doubts, I go in and ask.

Here's the link to the resource I use: http://www.amaranthfoods.ca/common/a...2E90CB59321350
Old 01-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Venerable Voice of CWE

Originally Posted by Aubrey View Post:
occb - I'm quite surprised. I think it smells like fruity berries. But you are right. As with anything, start off slowly.
My mom hates the taste, and my co-worker gags at the smell of it Funny that you think it smells like fruity berries, because lately it's been smelling like chocolate to me. Huh.

Tags
alternative therapies, alternative treatments, herbal, herbal treatment, herbs