[Info] Information on sleep and epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jordanvp

New
Reaction score
This is not so much PROVIDING information as asking. I apologize if it is posted in the wrong place, please move it if it is.
For weeks I went with MAYBE one seizure a day, a couple times I went a few days. All of a sudden this week something just went wrong. I had a seizure during the night, a very short one, my wife wasn't even disturbed by it. As soon as I was dozing off again, another hit. This continued until I actually got up out of bed.
Thinking it was just sleep deprivation I went to bed earlier the following night. Again, at some point during the night I seized and every time I was almost asleep my body said "no" and seized again until I got up. The worst was last night. I went to bed around midnight because I was doing some time-consuming homework. Three o' clock A.M. comes, I had a seizure, and that same pattern continued until I got up at 7 to take my meds.
When I sat up to see what time it was, the auras always went away. As soon as my head hit the pillow they returned.
Is there anything anyone can think of regarding that half-awake half-asleep state that raises the chances of seizing? And why they would only hit when I lie down?

Hi-ya! I have nocturnal seizures - they happen 10 - 50 mins into dosing. I am always aware of what is happening. Usually I get a aura- a feeling of fear/dread followed by a vocalization, a cry-out that either makes sense or is nonsensical, and this can be followed by a 'blast' of 'electricity' in my head. These happen day or night- when ever I dose. I was having 12 or more a night but since being on Clonazepam I have 2-4 a month. I also would wake up hitting my self in the face and/or shaky legs. I have had 2 eeg's and a telemetery and a MRI scan- all came back normal. The Doctor has not diagnosed me with epilepsy but is treating me for the symptoms.

Nick
:)

Back
Top Bottom