[Research] Kavinace by Neuroscience

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Interesting. I have not heard of this before.

I would strongly urge you to discuss this with your doctor before taking it. GABA supplements could possibly be contraindicated with whatever medications you are taking.

I'm searching for some studies / authoritative info on kavinace. I haven't found it yet, but this is what I'm finding so far (I found it interesting)...

It has been found that GABA is deficient in the cerebrospinal fluid and brain in many experimental and human estudis epilepsy. This deficiency occurs when the enzyme glutamate decarboxylase, which produces GABA from glutamin acid is diminished. The enzyme glutamate decarboxylase is dependent on vitamin B6 and is not surprising that drugs that inhibit vitamin B6 are potent agents causing seizures.

You can use a aprte of vitamin B6 and manganese as a way to raise GABA in the brain. There has been a major study on the GABA and vitamin B6, 50% of the 699 epileptic that were given the supplements showed improvement. Besides vitamin B6 and taurine is needed to produce GABA. Taurine, an amino acid anticonvulsant, is effective in epilepsy because it increases the breakdown of glutamate into GABA.

Kavinace are useful in status epilepticus because can act on GABA receptors.

http://www.kavinace.org/gaba/how-to-increase-gaba-level/

^ No citations for the claims, but I found the connection between GABA and B6 / Taurine interesting as both have been discussed at length here in the forums.

4 amino 3 phenylbutric acid, also known as phenibut, is a derivative of GABA . It readily crosses the blood brain barrier and activates the GABA receptors as well as suppresses the action of PEA. It is considered addictive, so it is not recommended for long term use.

http://curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=1465059

Anonymous author, but worth confirming before committing to a long term supplementation regimen.

I would think taking B6 and Taurine supplements would be a safer route for the long term for boosting GABA if that's what you need.

interesting read AnnaM and Bernard. Maybe we will see more info over time...

Thanks for the info, Bernard. My sons Naturopath (she is a Doctor) is looking at this to help treat his seizures. He is taking Taurine now. He has been off Western meds for a month, due to serious side effects to the 3 he was on. Still thinking on this and will make a decision after I get his sleep study results this coming Tuesday.

Kavinace - the other supplements/aminos added in. Would you say the side effects would be the same as if withdrawing from Phenibut alone? Or, would you say the supplements/aminos added into Kavinace might make the possibility of that kind of withdrawal less likely, and the need for more less likely?

http://md1.csa.com/partners/viewrec...V&recid=9054713&q&uid=791548681&setcookie=yes

Hope that makes sense, both kiddos are on me right now. Thanks!

Anna

Back
Top Bottom