L-Carnosine

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
I was just reading about more alternatives and ran up on this. I have heard this for autism therapies, but this is the first time I have read studies on it for Epilepsy.

L-carnosine Therapy for Intractable Epilepsy in Childhood: Effect on EEG
Michael G. Chez, M.D., Cathleen P. Buchanan, Ph.D., Jamie L. Komen, M.A.

Objective: L-Carnosine is an amino acid dipeptide that may indirectly affect the electrochemical process in the brain. MRI spectroscopy has recently demonstrated that brain homocarnosine levels may correlate with seizure control. Due to these findings, we decided to examine whether ingesting dietary carnosine would decrease spike and wave activity and improve seizure control both clinically (overt seizures) and physiologically (EEG) by raising homocarnosine levels in the brain.

Design/Methods: Seven children (3 female, 4 male; age range 2-12 years) meeting inclusion criteria were enrolled in a 10 week study, beginning with a baseline EEG reading. Participants were then administered 400mg BID of powdered L-Carnosine for the 10 week time period and a final EEG was subsequently read by Dr. Chez.

Results: After 10 weeks of Carnosine therapy, 5 of the 7 participants documented improved EEG findings and all 7 children exhibited improvement in seizure frequency. While not formally evaluated, improvement in the domains of global cognition, behavior and language function was reported in all 7 participants. While these domains were not predicted to be affected by the L-Carnosine supplementation, they were elicited spontaneously via blinded therapists and family members.

Conslusions: L-Carnosine may be a useful add-on medication for intractable seizure disorders. Although, the exact mechanism is unknown, L-Carnosine is believed to bind with GABA to form homocarnosine in the brain and may also modulate copper and zinc influx into the neurons decreasing the after-discharges and spike-wave discharges associated with many seizure disorders. This may decrease the frequency of clinical seizures and, in some cases, improve EEG patterns.

Citation of Published Abstract:
Chez, Michael G., Buchanan, Cathleen P., and Jamie Komen. L-Carnosine Therapy for Intractable Epilepsy in Childhood: Effect on EEG. Epilepsia 2002; 43(7): 65.

http://www.enzymestuff.com/rtcarnosine.htm

L - C A R N O S I N E

What is Carnosine?
The naturally-occurring amino acid is found within the human body, a by-product of proteins digested within the body. The deep frontal part of the brain (entorhinal cortex) is believed to be a site where carnosine tends to accumulate. It may interact with zinc in that area, as well as having effects on GABA, a brain neurotransmitter, which by a complex chemical reaction forms homo-carnosine.

What Studies Have Been Done with Carnosine?
Rat and animal studies have been done with carnosine looking at "neuroprotection."
These investigations aimed to examine protective action since carnosine may be protective of muscle and nervefunction. There have been no studies that have shown any evidence of toxicity or teratogenicity in animals where carnosine has been studied. Few scientifically-validated human studies have been conducted, however, and most of the information one finds about carnosine's claims are of the quality found on the internet. Claims have been made for generic carnosine/carnosine formulations aiding in combating a range of maladies from Alzheimer's to body building.

Why Carnosine, then?
Recent MRI studies by Petroff and colleagues (2001) examining levels of brain chemistry showed a relationship between homo-carnosine and GABA in temporal lobe and generalized myoclonic epilepsies. These authors described homo-carnosine levels that may correlate with seizure control even when GABA response is defective in human studies. Dr. Chez was intrigued by the results of this study, and thus began a study in June, 2001 that aimed to test if supplementing carnosine orally could enhance seizure protection in children who were already on anticonvulsants and who had recurrent seizures despite being on standard drug therapy. He hypothesized that the addition of carnosine could decrease seizure frequency and so began an open-label study of carnosine which he acquired via an industrial chemical company.

The Open-Label Study
A total of 75 children, who had "failed" multiple anti-epileptic medications in an effort to stop their seizures (including steroids and the Ketogenic diet) with histories of partial or generalized epilepsy entered the open-label study. The majority had fronto-temporal lobe seizures, or generalized epilepsy. Approximately 25% had EEGs to directly compare before and after starting the carnosine. Many patients had reductions in seizure frequency, but without EEG correlation. Two sisters with hypsarrythmia/Lennox-Gastaut variant both showed dramatic improvements in EEG amplitude, spike frequency, and background activity. In three other patients with primary or secondary generalized spike and wave patterns or Lennox-Gastaut type patterns, EEG amplitude and spike frequency improved with carnosine in dosages of 800-2,000 mg. per day. Dosage was titrated upward depending upon bodyweight.

No side effects were reported.Unexpectedly, parental diaries showed a pattern of comments related to gains in cognitive domains including language, alertness, energy levels, and even gross motor ability. Dr. Chez was motivated by such reports in addition to comments from other professionals that worked simultaneously with the children (e.g., speech therapists) who, unaware that children were on the new supplement, spontaneously stated that individual children were showing incremental gains not previously seen. Expressive language was described as more fluent, eye contact more frequent, and interest in the environment was more prominent.
Dr. Chez thought that this supplement could be of benefit to children with autism or PDD and so began to give it to children with such diagnoses in an open-label trial.

Indeed, parents reported benefits in their children after as few as 2 weeks, in the areas of socialization, expressive language, alertness level, energy level, adaptation to change, and curiously, gross motor planning.

The Double-Blind Study
Because of the remarkable cognitive improvements in language, speech production and school performance as well as social alertness, Dr. Chez felt it important to study the effect of the supplement in children with Autistic Spectrum Disorders.

Children were included in this study if they had histories of abnormal EEG, and had previously responded to cognitive-enhancing dementia medications (as part of a controlled study at the office) or to anti-convulsants. A double-blind placebo controlled study with carnosine was begun. Children were randomly placed on either active carnosine or placebo. Expressive and receptive language measures, two autism rating scales, and parent rating analog scales were administered at the start and completion of the study. *Results of this study indicated clinically meaningful changes in many aspects of autistic features, and also showed that the carnosine supplement improved children's expressive and receptive language significantly. This is the only dietary supplement to date studied in a double-blind fashion in autism.

Who Benefits and What are the Side Effects?
The majority of children with either epilepsy or autism treated in open label studies by Dr. Chez benefited from carnosine supplementation. Dr.Chez estimates that approximately 10% of children who have been on the carnosine supplement have had reports of no improvement. *A very small percentage (less than 5% of children with epilepsy or autistic spectrum disorders) have shown increased physical hyperactivity or verbal hyperactivity, but we are unable to ascertain if these reports are directly related to the carnosine supplement. No sleep disturbances were reported as a result of carnosine therapy even in dosages up to 3,000 mg. a day. No abdominal side effects, skin rashes, or any changes in anticonvulsant blood levels, liver functions or hematological studies. No patients had any urinary changes or bowel habit changes from the carnosine.Many children on the autistic spectrum were reported to increase their range of food choices with an improved range of appetite. Responses have been seen in generalized epilepsies, focal seizure disorders, autism, PDD, and head injury to date. Because of its effect on entorhinal cortex, improvements in Alzheimer's disease or other frontal lobe encephalopathy may be possible. Any syndrome that involves apraxia or expressive language delay may benefit from this. *Concurrent studies are currently being run or planned in areas of attention disorder, Tourette's syndrome, and various learning disability syndromes of the nonverbal type.

Thank you for all of your posts. I enjoy your research findings. I take carnosine and it makes it easier for me to do things in the world like clean snd even makes me feel more like socializing. I have post traumatic epilepsy whcih seems to have something to do with mitrochondria and ROS. Too much glutimate released after my head trauma which inturn causes a cascading effect oxidizing the brain. I have problems with hypoglycemia, again too much glutimate causes the release of insulin. Insulin regulates glucose levels which regulates glutimate levels at the synapses = hypoglycemia.

I was on lamictal before the seizure diagnosis. I have since decided to try to get to the root of the problem and take supplements to heal my brain. My dr admitted that "We just don't know enough about epilepsy" I have been seizure free for 8 months taking supplements I have found by reading this epilepsy website. I figured it was time I said thank you.

Last edited:
Thank you RobinN for your information and research. How far is L-carnosine from becoming a prescription?

Featherdusters123 what supplements are you on? Are you on L-Carnosine as one of your supplements?

DHA = 500mg 3x daily
Curumin*(mervia) = 500mg 3x daily

Taurine = typical therapeutic dosage of taurine is 2g 3x daily.
1/2tsp* = 2000mg(2g)

Magnesium
1/4t 3x a day
Taking Mg sulfate total* = 375mg

Vitamin D3 + K2
2000mg*

Vitamin E*
100mg

B100

Zinc 25mg

500mg L-Carnosine

Calcium through dietary intake 600mg
Vitamin C through dietary intake = 3/4 cup of OJ

α-Lipoic acid
coQ10
and I experiment with Antioxidants

Avoid triggers
good chocolate
tea
coffee
If I drink alcohol a max of one drink

Hypoglycemia
I eat nuts all day long to keep my blood glucose stable.
I eat low glycemic foods
protein shakes
Make sure to drink water throughout the day

I meditate and do breathing exercises in 7 out 11

I make sure to allow 12 hours of overnight fast allow glymphatic system time to work.
I don’t know if this helps epilepsy. I’m at risk for Alzheimer’s because of brain injury.

You can buy L-Carnosine off the shelf. It is made up of amino acids (the things that make up protein).
People take it for working out, add it to skin cream, eyedrops.. Alzheimer’s preventative..

Have you told your doctor that you are taking these supplements? Your doctor needs to know that you are taking them.

How long have you been seizure free?

Thanks RobinN
You have provided me with information to think about that's relevant for my girl and to ask about carnosine to my medical nutritionist.

I didn't realize I have heard of carnosine its used in fitness strategies.
Definitely adding this to my list of heaps of qns to Dr T.

Thank you RobinN for your information and research. How far is L-carnosine from becoming a prescription?

Featherdusters123 what supplements are you on? Are you on L-Carnosine as one of your supplements?

L-carnosine is over the counter. You should be able to find it in any health food store.

DHA = 500mg 3x daily

1/2tsp* = 2000mg(2g)

Magnesium
1/4t 3x a day

Vitamin D3 + K2
2000mg*

Vitamin E*
100mg

B100

Zinc 25mg

500mg L-Carnosine

α-Lipoic acid
coQ10

Avoid triggers
good chocolate
tea
coffee

Hypoglycemia
I eat low glycemic foods
protein shakes

I make sure to allow 12 hours of overnight fast allow glymphatic system time to work.
I don’t know if this helps epilepsy. I’m at risk for Alzheimer’s because of brain injury.

You can buy L-Carnosine off the shelf. It is made up of amino acids (the things that make up protein).
People take it for working out, add it to skin cream, eyedrops.. Alzheimer’s preventative..
I take basically the same supplements and my neuro was very impressed. She even suggested I up the dose of a couple of them, the Co-q10 and curumin. After doing that I told her my nerve pain went away and I attributed it to lamictial. She said she thould it was from the increased dose of curumin.

DHA = 500mg 3x daily

1/2tsp* = 2000mg(2g)

Magnesium
1/4t 3x a day

Vitamin D3 + K2
2000mg*

Vitamin E*
100mg

B100

Zinc 25mg

500mg L-Carnosine

α-Lipoic acid
coQ10

Avoid triggers
good chocolate
tea
coffee

Hypoglycemia
I eat low glycemic foods
protein shakes

Have you had any problem with α-Lipoic acid? I stopped taking it because it changed my body odor.

My grandson was on a different supplement (he has autism) and it also changed his body odor. It was so unpleasant even he was wanting to take baths several times a day. I can't remember which one it was.

Just a quick note: there is carnosine and carnotine. They are not quite the same thing. If you have made the decision to take one, make sure you are aware of which does what and as Ruth pointed out, make sure your doctor knows as there can be interactions with some medications and medical conditions.

Just a quick note: there is carnosine and carnotine. They are not quite the same thing. If you have made the decision to take one, make sure you are aware of which does what and as Ruth pointed out, make sure your doctor knows as there can be interactions with some medications and medical conditions.

My neuro also ok'ed carnitine. She seems to know more about supplements than any doctor I ever seen.

Yes you have made a reasonable point.
Thanking you.

Back
Top Bottom