Lamictal XR

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Nakamova

Super Moderator / Thank You Queen
Reaction score
I have seizure control with a low dose of Lamictal. But my neurologist is switching me from the regular Lamictal to the newly-approved XR (extended release) version. Advantage = once a day dosing (as opposed to twice). My neurologist thinks it may also reduce the side effects. I'm skeptical, but will report back if that is the case. Anyone else out there trying the XR version?

Nakamova

Nope, not

yet. I am just titrating up onto the regular version, and I don't even know how long that will last after my neuro visit on Tuesday. I suspect there will be major revamping of meds, whether I like it or not.

Yup, isn't it always the case that they want to fiddle with our meds? Even though I'm doing fine -- no seizures, not even a hint of one -- my neurologist is still talking about increasing my dosage!!!???!!! Good thing I'm stubborn. I will dig in my heels on this one...

Ahhh, but

I'm having issues, and they're becoming more difficult to deal with....so I may have to do it anyway.....

I hope your issues get resolved pronto, and that your docs get the med recipe perfect this time...

I take it youre happy with lamicital then? I literally just took my first lamicital a few hours ago, im switching from zonisamide. Did you get any side effects? The only thing that im concerned about is if theres any psychological side effects.

I used to be on topomax but i had to get off of it because it was literally making me crazy. I was acting completely out of character, getting angry at everything. Youd think i was having roid rage by the way i was acting. I cant have anything like that happening.

I also switched from Zonisamide to Lamictal. Where the Zonisamide made me cranky and moody, the Lamictal has been fine psychologically. I'm on a fairly low dose (200mg per day). At first it perked me up a little more than normal, but also gave me vivid dreams mixed with very restless sleeping. Now I'm basically my normal self, no sleep problems. There have been other side effects -- hair falling out (only at first, now it seems to have stopped), blurry vision, increased appetite (I gained 10 pounds, but that also seems to have slowed)... It's been less than a year, so I can't vouch for any long-term side effects.

Oh, I

have the vivid dreams all right.......and the hair falling out, too. Sleeping's not so bad, but I take melatonin. Vision is blurry, too. I wish I could keep the weight on, but I'm a celiac, and I have to FIGHT to keep weight on......

Nakamova,

I am on ER Depakote and I know that they have to use a slightly higher dose with the ER version than with the regular version. That may be the case with Lamictal too which could explain why your neuro wants to increase the dosage. Just a thought.

I've decided to not go onto the XR, because of cost:
My dose is 250mg, and my neurologist said that five 50mgs does not = two 100mgs plus one 50mg. Since I'd have to pay two $50 co-pays (one for the 50s, one for the 100s), it's not worth it to me, especially since I have seizure control now. It would be great to have fewer side effects, but from what I read there's no guarantee that that would happen with the XR.

I've been on Lamictal for years, no weight gain. Other drugs, yes, but not the Lamictal.

I've been taking Lamictal for three weeks - it's my first med for seizures. One side effect is that it makes me drowsy but my neurologist says that'll go away after a while. I'd like to hear if that happened to anyone else. My dose increases every week, and now I'm only up to 75 mg so I worry about what'll happen when it increases. I also have blurry vision and tingling (or something like that) in my mouth. As for psychological side effects, I'm feeling very low but don't know if it's from the meds or from the fact that I can't drive for six months. I don't live near anything so it makes things difficult and is a constant reminder of the seizures. I'm glad to be here now:bigsmile:

hi yes,lamictal did make me drowsy in the beginning.it did get better with time.you are on alow dose so far.i have never driven a car,but I have had this problem for a long time.It might not be a bad idea to talk to a professional about your feelings.It is a shock that needs to have time to overcome,and I do realize your feelings.Everyone's feelings are different,and so are the side effects.Give yourself time.You have come to the right place to share your thoughts--but a proffesional might also be a good idea.Ask your doctor if you have questions.we are here for you.

I've been on Lamictal for 2 years now. I've had success with it, no seizures. This month (August) is 2 years seizure free. The only things I've noticed with Lamictal is sometimes my mind races when I'm trying to fall asleep. Also, sometimes I can't concentrate. These side effects only happen on occasion. Compared to other seizure meds this is a pretty mild one. Not to harsh on the system.

I know you're right Lybbyl about talking to someone. The problem is that where I live there's no public transportation and there's nothing I can walk to, so I'm really dependent on others to go anyplace. I've hired a boy to drive me to food shopping and to doctor appointments, and friends call me to go out, but setting up weekly appts will have to wait.
It sounds like lamictal doesn't control your seizures, is that right?

That's really good to hear MajorT. My problems with xanax has left me terrified of meds so I appreciate hearing your story.

Hi Marion --

I've been on Lamictal since last fall. No problems with seizure control. While there have been side effects, some of them have faded as my system has adjusted. I do still suffer from dry mouth and dry eyes, but my hair loss stopped, and my weight gain seems to have stabilized (no more than 10 pounds). I have intermittently blurry vision (the kind where you have to squint a bit to see the numbers on the digital clock), but I still don't need glasses for anything. No way to tell about any long term side effects, but basically what I'm experiencing now is tolerable.

i believe that some places have a one-on-one telephone service that can connect you with a psychologist or social worker on the telephone,for those that cannot get to one any other way.marion,ask your doctor or insurance company if they provide this service.

Back
Top Bottom