Liver Health

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
Interesting facts about the liver:

- it is the largest organ in the body
- it filters up to two quarts of blood a minute
- only the liver can purify the bloodstream
- it performs over 500 different chemical functions and affects nearly every physiological process of the body
- more heat is produced by the liver than by any other organ in the body
- the liver produces more proteins than any other organ in the body
- overeating is a common cause of liver malfunction
- it is the most active organ in the body during detoxification
- the liver is among the few internal human organs capable of natural regeneration of lost tissue; as little as 25% of remaining liver can regenerate into a whole liver again.
- 1 in 10 Americans are afflicted with liver related diseases each year
- You cannot live without a liver

Last edited:
Primary Functions of the Liver:

- stores and mobilizes energy
- controls blood sugar (glucose)
- regulates glycogen (body's main source fo stored energy)
- regulates fat storage
- aids digestion
- produces bile (yellow-green liquid that helps to excrete waste and digest fat)
- produces urea (the main substance of urine)
- manufacturers clotting factores and regulates blood clotting
- produces several (non-reproductive) hormones
- manufacturers cholesterol (it produces about 80% of teh cholesterol in your body)
- filters the blood
- eliminates bacteria
- metabolizes toxins (drugs, toxic metals, pesticides, etc.)
- stores vitamins A, D, and B12
- stores minerals and iron
- produces essential immune system factors
- monitors and manufacturers countless other blood proteins to maintain the proper levels of numerous chemicals in the body

Thank you!

Now I can see why doctors want to make sure your liver works properly all the time. My live has a cyst on it that is nin cancerous thak God!
David

Very interesting facts about the liver. I'm beginning to get concerned about the long term affects of the meds have on my liver. When I asked my neurologist about it he gave me a nod but couldn't tell me if it did or didn't.

Very interesting facts about the liver. I'm beginning to get concerned about the long term affects of the meds have on my liver. When I asked my neurologist about it he gave me a nod but couldn't tell me if it did or didn't.
Some require special tests to make sure there is no lasting damage.
Tegretol and Trileptal fall into that catagory. I am sure there are more.

Bernard - there is milk thistle in the Liver Life I am giving to Rebecca

How the liver breaks down carbohydrates

- The liver plays a key role in assuring carbohydrates homeostasis (dynamic balanced conditions) by removing simple sugars from the general circulation after ingestion of food and storing them as glycogen.

- Glycogen is broken down between ingestion of food which tends to maintain blood sugar levels

- When glycogen stores are exhausted, it is capable of converting non carbohydrate metabolites such as amino acids and fats into glucose to maintain blood sugar levels.

How the liver breaks down fat

- The liver is extremely active in oxidizing triglycertides to produce energy

- It is where the bulk of the lipoproteins are synthesized

- It converts excess carbohydrates and proteins into fatty acids and triglycerides, which are then exported and stored into adipose (fat) tissue.

- The liver synthesizes large quantities of cholestrol and phospholipids. Some of this is packaged with lipoproteins and made available to the rest of the body. The remainder is excreted in bile as cholesterol or after conversion to bile acids.

How the liver breaks down proteins

- Digested proteins in the form of amino acids are broken down further in the liver by deamination (the process by which amino acids are broken down).

- The liver is responsible for synthesis of non-essential amino acids as well as most of the plasma proteins.

- Albumin, the major plasma protein, is synthesized almost exclusively by the liver

- Synthesis of urea leads to removal of ammonia. (Ammonia is very toxic and if not rapidly and efficiently removed from circulation, it will have a adverse impact on the central nervous system.)

Phase One Liver DETOX Pathway

- The liver converts a toxic chemical into a less harmful chemical. This is achieved by various chemical reactions (such as oxidation, reduction and hydrolysis)

- Excessive amounts of toxic chemicals such as pesticides can disrupt the enzymes system (P450) of this pathway by causing over activity or 'induction'. This will result in high levels of damaging free radicals being produced.

- Free radicals are unstable particles that react with the body and damage the body's cells. If too many free radicals are mad, they can hurt the liver cells.

- In order to get rid of or reduce these free radicals, our bodies need foods with a lot of antioxidants and phytochemicals. The antioxidants Vitamin A, C, E, selenium and many different phytochemicals are found in fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
Indoles from cruciferous vegetables and quercetin have been shown to support Phase One of liver detoxification.

- substances that may cause over activity during Phase One:
caffeine, dioxin, saturated fats, organophosphorus pesticides, paint fumes, sulfonamides, exhause fumes, pharmaceuticals

The metabolites from this detoxification process are often potentially more harmful than their orginal toxic compounds. It is important for health that these toxxic compounds not be allowed to build up. This is where Phase Two of liver detoxificaiton comes in.

Last edited:
Phase Two Liver DETOX Pathway

- This is called the conjugation pathway, where the liver cells add another substance (cystein, glycine, or a sulphur molecule) to a toxic chemical or drug to render less harmful.

- The conjugation molecules are acted upon by specific enzymes to catalyze (or accelerates) the reaction step. Through conjugation, the liver is able to turn drugs, hormones, and various toxins into excretable substances.

- The toxin or drug becomes water-soluble, so it can then be excreted from the body via watery fluids such as bile or urine.

- For efficient phase two detoxification, the liver cells require sulphur-containing amino acids such as taurine and cysteine. Eggs and cruciferous vegetables ( broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts, cauliflower) and raw garlic, onions, leeks, and shallots are all good sources of natural sulphur compounds to enhance phase two detoxification. Thus these foods can be considered to have a cleansing action.

Toxin List

metabolic end products, micro-organisms, contaminants / pollutants, insecticides, pesticides, food additives, drugs, alcohol

Inefficient DETOX Pathways:

If the Phase One and Phase Two detoxification pathways become overloaded, there will be a build up of toxins in the body.

- Many of these toxins are fat soluble and incorporate themselves into fatty parts of the body where they may stay for many years.

- The brain and the endocrine (hormonal) glands are fatty organs and are common sites for the fat soluble toxins to accumulate

- Symptoms may include brain dysfunction, hormonal imbalances and adrenal gland exhaustion

- A sluggish liver can cause copper to build up in the tissues

- It is possible to have an increase in detox reactions, "healing crisis" if you are trying to detox with a congested liver.

Last edited:
This gets better I promise you.

Stay tuned... more to come.

The Immune System Response

If filtering and / or detoxification systems within the liver are overloaded or inefficient; toxins, dead cells, and microorganisms build up in the blood stream. The immune system starts making antibodies against these larger molecules because it recognizes them as foreign, invading substances that need to be destroyed. The immune system will then produce excessive inflammatory chemicals, and in some cases, auto antibodies, because it is in a hyper-stimulated state. The immune system becomes overloaded and irritated. When the immune system is required to run on "high" on a regular basis, it may be spread thin over a wide array of territory defending the gut, cleaning the blood, fighting inflammation, warding off pathogens, and so on.

When the digestive system isn't functioning correctly, the cells cannot get the nutrients they need or eliminate wastes. The immune system goes on alert, working double duty.

Symptoms of Excess Ammonia in the Brain:

- Lethargy
- Seizures
- Ataxia (a failure of muscle control in arms and legs, resulting in a lack of balance and coordination or disturbed gait)
- unclear thinking
- extreme sleepiness
- "spinning thoughts" - repeating thoughts
- OCD type behaviors
- forgetfulness
- trouble concentrating
- confusion
- agitation

A very wide range of the toxic substances produced in a toxic bowel is sent on to the liver, which is the body's primary detoxification site. During the digestion of proteins, a number of harmful bacteria, including Clostridia, Eubacteria, and Peptostreptococci produce toxic ammonia in the gastrointestinal tract. It is the result of a perfectly normal process. A healthy liver detoxifies the ammonia by turning it into urea, which is passed out of the body in the urine.

However, if the liver is not working properly (Leaky Gut), the ammonia remains unprocessed and enters the bloodstream and invades the central nervous system causing many dangerous systems.

The brain is affected.

Wow. You sure know you're stuff! My neurologist couldn't even point me in the right
direction. Thanks RobinN.

I am learning along with you, eslucas.
This is Liver 101

Back
Top Bottom