Liver Health

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Impact of a Congested Liver:

- yeast and bacterial infections
- food intolerances / allergies
- significant decrease in absorption of nutrients from food and supplements
- decrease in verbal and non-verbal communication skills
- impaired digestive function
- decreased cognitive ability
- lack of focus
- sensory overload
- emotional outbursts
- skin rashes / conditions (i.e. eczema)
- high first morning urine pH

Understanding Liver Panels

SGPT (serum glutamate pyruvate transaminase) - an enzyme found within the liver cells. An elevated level indicates that the liver cells are either leaky (internal contents are entering the blood) or damaged.

ALT (alanine aminotransferase) - an enzyme found primarily in the liver but also to a lesser degree, the heart and other tissues. When such damage occurs, ALT is released from the liver cells into the bloodstream. It is useful in diagnosing liver function more so than SGOT levels.

AST (aspartate aminotransferase) - an enzyme found primarily in the liver, heart, kidney, pancreas, and muscles. With tissue damage present, especially heart and liver, this enzyme is normally elevated. Vitamin B deficiency is an instance where this enzyme may be decreased.

SGOT (serum glutamic-oxaloacetic transaminase) - an enzyme found in the liver, muscles (including the heart) and red blood cells. It is released into the blood when cells that contain it are damaged. Other names for this enzyme are aspartate aminotranskinase, aspartate transaminase, and AST.

GGT (gamma-glutamyltransferase)
- involved in the transport of amino acids and peptides into cells as well as glutathione, metabolism, GGT is mainly found in liver cells. Elevated Levels may be found in liver disease, alcoholism, bile-duct obstruction, drug abuse, and in some cases excessive magnesium ingestion. Decreased levels can be found in hypothyroidism, hypothalamic malfunction, and low levels of magnesium.

Understanding Liver Panels continued:

AP (alkaline Phosphatase) - produced in the cells of the bone and liver with some activity in the kidneys, intestine, and placenta, it is mostly found in an alkaline state with a pH of 9. Growing children may have higher levels of this enzyme. Low levels are sometimes found in hypoadrenia, protein deficiency, malnutrition, and a number of vitamin deficiencies.

Eosinophils
- used by the body to protect against allergic reactions and parasites. Elevated levels may indicate an allergic response. A low count is normal.

LDH (lactate dehydrogenase) - LDH is an enzyme found in many body tissues, including the liver. Elevated levels of LDH may indicate liver damage.

PT (prothrombin time)
- This test measures the clotting time of plasma. Increased PT may indicate liver damage.

More Liver Function Tests

Bilrubin
A byproduct of the breakdown of the red blood cells in the liver, bilirubin is a good indicator of the liver's function. The liver cleans bilirubin from the body by excreting it through the bileinto the intestines. Elevated bilirubin levels can be indicative of liver disorders or blockage of bile ducts

Albumin
The main protein in human blood (the primary component of total protein), albumin is made by the liver. Laboratory testing indicates how well the liver is making albumin. Liver disease results in decreased albumin production.

Total Protein
The majority of plasma proteins (albumin and globulins) in the body are produced by the liver. Proteins are the most abundant compound serum. The protein makeup is significant because of protein's involvement in enzymes, hormones, and antibodies as well as maintaining acid base balance and as reserve source of nutrition for th ebodies tissues and muscles. Laboratory testing for total protein is in a way to differentiate between normal and abnormal liver function. Total protein normal range is 6.0-8.3 gm/dl (grams per deciliter).

Prothrombin Time
The Prothrombin Time (PT) or Protime is a laboratory test used to evaluate normal or abnormal blood clotting. Blood clotting factors are proteins which are made by the liver. If the liver is injured or damaged, the clotting factors are not produced naturally.
Prothrombin time normal range is 11 to 13.5 seconds.

Balance

Restoring a proper pH balance will improve vitality and assist the detox process. An acidic condition robs the body of oxygen and can enable harmful pathogens to thrive. If you are too acidic, you will not assimilate nutrients efficiently from the foods you eat or the supplements you take. The body will be forced to pull essential minerals like calcium, magnesium, potassium and sodium from your organs and bones to neutralize the acids.

You can purchase pH strips from your local pharmacy. Get pH strips that break the readings down into smaller increments. For example: 6.0, 6.25, 6.5, 7.0

Desired range of first morning baseline saliva pH is 6.8-7.2
Desired range for healthy first morning urine is 5.8-6.2

Saliva - what we keep
Urine - what we excrete

My daughters first morning saliva is 7.0 - 7.5
Her first morning urine is 7.5 - 8.0
Taken without supplements the night before two days in a row.

How the liver breaks down proteins

- Digested proteins in the form of amino acids are broken down further in the liver by deamination (the process by which amino acids are broken down).

- The liver is responsible for synthesis of non-essential amino acids as well as most of the plasma proteins.

- Albumin, the major plasma protein, is synthesized almost exclusively by the liver

- Synthesis of urea leads to removal of ammonia. (Ammonia is very toxic and if not rapidly and efficiently removed from circulation, it will have a adverse impact on the central nervous system.)
I guess yoy could say I am fortunate that I don't have any cancer,but I have a large cyst on my liver that could be disrupting some of my health problems!
David

You are very lucky David. Now I have no clue as to what has caused yours, only that there have been stories of cysts shrinking. Always worth positive thinking and good healthy nutritional choices.

Foods that Improve Liver Function

- Eat plenty of fresh fruits and lightly cooked vegetables, especially dark green leafy vegetables and orange, yellow, purple, and red colored fruits and vegetables. They contain living enzymes, fiber, Vitamin C, natural antibiotics substances and phytonutrients.

- Eat foods that are rich in glutathione or help to produce glutathione in the body. Asparagus, watermelon, and broccoli are good sources of glutathione while papayas and avocados are foods that help the body produce glutathione. Glutathione is found within the chlorella growth factor (CGF) and is concentrated in the nuclei of the algae, chlorella pyrenoidosa.

- Bitter foods like dandelion greens, mustard greens, bitter melon, Romaine lettuce and brocoli raabe can help in cleansing the liver.

- Herbs like dill, caraway seeds, garlic, onions, tumeric and cayenne are easy to use in cooking and can help protect the liver.

- Drink lots of filtered water (6-12 cups per day) because it helps the kidneys to get rid of the toxins that the liver has broken down.

- Omega-3 fats are very helpful. These fats are found in cold water fish such as salmon, mackerel, sardines, and halibut. Other good sources are flaxseeds, flaxseed oil and walnuts

- Nuts, seeds, and avocados are good food sources of polyunsaturated fats and monounsaturated fats that are less harmful ot the liver than saturated fats. Walnuts are a source of arginine which helps the liver to detoify ammonia, a waste product in the body. They are also a rich source of glutathione and omega-3 fatty acids.

The Importance of Eating Organic

It is important to buy organically grown instead of the conventionally grown foods found in most grocery stores. Conventionally grown produce contains pesticides and other dangerous chemicals. It is usually grown in depleted soils, which may make it mineral deficient. Organic produce is grown without pesticides or harsh chemicals. This is especially important for children since what are considered "safe" pesticide levels for adults can be harmful to a child's small, developing body. Organic produce is usually grown in soil that has been replenished with organic materials rich in the full specturm of minerals your child's body needs. There is a recent study reported in The Journal of Applied Nutrition that compared organic frruits and vegetables with conventional. It shows that organics are twice as rich in some nutrients. In addition, organic produce usually has more trace minerals and micronutrients than conventional. Buying organic insures a helathier planet for our kids since orgainc farming prmots sustainability of the land and is less polluting to the air and water than conventional farming. Organic produce also has more flavor.

Once you eat an organically grown tomato, you will never want a conventionally grown one again.

WEll!

Robin,
For the last year we havn't been eating nothing but organic. And I am allergic to Msg as I said before and other addities! I have had severe food allergies since a child! I have also had this cyst on my liver for years and I am at risk for cancer on liver and brain now! But, I got to take it one step at a time too!
David

Last edited:
Foods that Make the Liver Work Harder

Saturated fats are harder for the liver to process. Limit high fat meats like sausage, bacon, salami, hot dogs, and high fat dairy products like whole milk, ice cream and cheese, which contain saturated fats. Other foods to limit that have a lot of saturated fat are french fries and high fat snack foods like potato chips, corn chips, etc.

Limit processed foods like white bread, white rice, cakes, cookies, donuts and candy. Add whole grains like whole grain breads and cereal, brown rice and quinoa to your diet.

Eat light meals more frequently. Eating a light evening meal can help to reduce the liver's work during the healing hours of sleep.

Limit, as much as possible, chemicals such as food colorings, flavorings and preservatives as well as toxins such as insecticides and pesticides because these substances make the liver work harder.

Good stuff!

Foods that Improve Liver Function

- Eat plenty of fresh fruits and lightly cooked vegetables, especially dark green leafy vegetables and orange, yellow, purple, and red colored fruits and vegetables. They contain living enzymes, fiber, Vitamin C, natural antibiotics substances and phytonutrients.

- Eat foods that are rich in glutathione or help to produce glutathione in the body. Asparagus, watermelon, and broccoli are good sources of glutathione while papayas and avocados are foods that help the body produce glutathione. Glutathione is found within the chlorella growth factor (CGF) and is concentrated in the nuclei of the algae, chlorella pyrenoidosa.

- Bitter foods like dandelion greens, mustard greens, bitter melon, Romaine lettuce and brocoli raabe can help in cleansing the liver.

- Herbs like dill, caraway seeds, garlic, onions, tumeric and cayenne are easy to use in cooking and can help protect the liver.

- Drink lots of filtered water (6-12 cups per day) because it helps the kidneys to get rid of the toxins that the liver has broken down.

- Omega-3 fats are very helpful. These fats are found in cold water fish such as salmon, mackerel, sardines, and halibut. Other good sources are flaxseeds, flaxseed oil and walnuts

- Nuts, seeds, and avocados are good food sources of polyunsaturated fats and monounsaturated fats that are less harmful ot the liver than saturated fats. Walnuts are a source of arginine which helps the liver to detoify ammonia, a waste product in the body. They are also a rich source of glutathione and omega-3 fatty acids.
Everyday my roommate and I have been eating organics and that is any thing organic we even research it first becase of the fats too!

Enzyme Tests

Very interesting facts about the liver. I'm beginning to get concerned about the long term affects of the meds have on my liver. When I asked my neurologist about it he gave me a nod but couldn't tell me if it did or didn't.

Since most anti-epilepsy drugs (AEDs) are processed by the liver, it is very important to monitor your liver function on most of these AEDs. I take Phenytek (dilantin) which requires me to have tests every 6 months to monitor enzyme levels in my blood. I don't know the technical method, but elevated enzyme levels are a sign of possible liver issues.

I have had epilepsy since age 20 (now 47) and in the early years I did have some minor elevations of these enzymes along with some tenderness when my abdomen was pressed on by the doctor.

This improved over the years, even though I take almost twice as much now as I did then. Not sure why - maybe I eat better, but I doubt that.

I also take Keppra which does not impact the liver at all.

I would consider asking your doctor about testing your liver function. The blood test is not overly expensive.

Buckeyefan,
Having my liver tested is definatley a priority for me now that I know with your suggestions and others on this site how important it is. Thanks.

The more I read the more I believe that the liver is extremely important to keep healthy.

A fatty liver has long been associated with long-term and excessive alcohol consumption, but this "non-alcoholic" version of the disease is not about drinking -- it's believed that its main cause is poor diet, notably, one loaded with simple sugars and complex carbohydrates.
It is important to note that the fat in the liver is not what was consumed in food... rather it results from the liver's conversion of carbohydrates from food into fat. Insulin resistance increases the problem even further, resulting in yet more fat accumulation in the liver.
Limit fast food and sugar-laden deserts/snacks to once a week or so. Avoid trans fats, as these challenge the liver. Drink water instead of soda. Personally, I was horrified to hear from Dr. Tetri that the sugar from high-fructose corn syrup in just two super-sized sodas amounts to more than you could possibly hold in your hands... that's a visual to call upon when you need help saying "no." High fructose corn syrup, especially in high quantities, suppresses the satiety mechanism in the brain, the one that tells you "that's enough, stop eating." Dr. Tetri suspects that the reason people can polish off huge burgers and piles of French fries is the high-fructose corn syrup in the soda that comes with the meal.

Drugs and some not-so-good-for-you supplements may also be contributing to the surge in liver damage. Acetaminophen in high doses can be extremely toxic to the liver. Also, several popular herbal supplements (Dr. Tetri specifically mentioned kava kava, for weight loss, and germander, ironically used to support liver function) have potential to harm the liver. If you are concerned about liver health, consider working with a physician trained in the use of natural substances to promote health -- there are supplements that might be quite effective when used properly, including milk thistle and possibly Vitamin E and other antioxidants. Look for further information on this important health topic in upcoming issues of Daily Health News.

Source(s):

Brent Tetri, MD, professor of internal medicine, division of gastroenterology and hepatology, Saint Louis University School of Medicine.

Wow

I just found this thread.
I am now wondering how one would detox all that 'stuff' out of ones body?
I have done some acidophilous, and that has returned the color of my bm to more of a brown.
I imagine I still have an enormous amount of toxins still in my body. But I have had 'e' problems all my life. Don't toxins build up over the course of a persons life?

There are some theories that claim young children do not have the ability to detox by themselves. They are not sure if it is the combination of viral load (multiple vaccines at one time) and the thimerisol (mercury preservative) in the vaccine. In addition to a GI tract that has an overload of fungal issues, food intolerances, ...

I don't have my head wrapped around how this occurs. However when these parents address these issues the neurological problems disappear.

The way to cleanse the liver pathways are by not consuming the processes foods that have all the chemical additives. Eliminating sugar from the diet, so that insulin levels are regulated, using lemon water to help cleanse. As well as improving nutrition to help heal the whole body.

This is what I understand to be helpful

Back
Top Bottom