Magnesium

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

It's still helping us here so far....I REALLY appreciate the info. So simple...who knew? ;)

BRAIN....somebody outta sick Birdy on you!

:eek:

:D

I'm just here to give Robin & Angel a hard time!

;)

Someone say Brainy is acting up?

I'll send in my minions to do some light work......

884736ea.jpg

I've been reading this thread and it's funny how many of the symptoms of magnesium deficiency mimic Rheumatoid Arthritis! Think I'll ask the rheumy about this on my next visit. I must get monthy blood work done due to the harsh medications and I know metabolic panels are included so there isn't a deficiency with my laundry list of ailments.

Ionic fizz

Found a 'new' supplement called Ionic Fizz.
It has:
Vit: a...250 IU; c...250 mg; d..100 IU; b-6...1 mg; folate...50 mcg; b-12...30 mcg; calcium 250 mg; mg 300 mg; zinc 2 mg; copper 250 mcg; manganese 1 mg; potasium 100 mg and other trace minerals. Its sugar free and Raspberry lemonade flavor. It tastes alright. Will let you know how it works.
For all of you who are familiar with the HEB foodstore chain; it's in the natural/nutritional aisle.

Last edited:
Just so you know Shelley, this is not "ionic magnesium".
Sounds more like the electrolyte ingredients in powder form. I have purchased one too called Emergen C

fizzies

Just thought I'd give it a try. So far so good.

Hello, I made an interesting discovery about magnesium. The other weekend, I had run out of magnesium, then noted after a few days w/o I started having nagging brain flash-outs (my personal term for petits). I rushed to the drugstore and bought some magnesium and popped one. Immediately that evening, there was a signficant decrease in the intensity of my seizures. I took an extra dose prior to bedtime, next day they were gone.

This tells me that magnesium may be the cure for my problems (not necessarily everyone, just me). Now I'm taking 2 or 3 500 mg doses - and it does seem to be effective. As an experiment I'm taking one less dilantin daily (usually 3, now 2). I'd like to see where this goes.

Has anyone else noticed anything about magnesium? I understand it was the main cure used in 19th century before these pharmaceuticals came out. I did a bit of research - it improves the flow of neural impulses across synapses - along with sodium, zinc, and B-6.

All I know is pharmaceuticals do NOT work for me. It would be great to find something natural that works. It would be highly ironic if this problem were a vitamin-deficiency. I understand some people need higher doses of certain vitamins due to genetic differences in bodily biochemistry.

Well, I was trying the epsom salts for awhile, but they didn't seem to work. But then, I started taking Magnesium supplements (250 mg) 4 x/day. So far, I haven't had any issues. It's only been about a month. But we'll see. And considering I was having 1 seizure every 2 weeks, it's an improvement. I'm also taking about 1000 mg. Niacin (spread through out the day) and 3000 mg. Fish oil (spread throughout the day). Both are supposed to support the central nervous system....and I thought I read somewhere that fish oil increased the seizure threshold. Can't remember where though.....probably in the Library here. :)

Has anyone else noticed anything about magnesium? I understand it was the main cure used in 19th century before these pharmaceuticals came out. I did a bit of research - it improves the flow of neural impulses across synapses - along with sodium, zinc, and B-6.

It has cured a 30 yr run of migraines for me, and it is one of the therapies that we are using for Rebecca. She is not on any meds, and is taking 1000 mg of magnesium along with 2000 mg of Ultra Omega (along with a handful of other vitamins and minerals).

I too notice a strange buzz in my head when I have not taken the magnesium for a few days. I particularly like the liquid Ionic Magnesium because I can put it under my tongue, if I am feeling a migraine take hold or during excessively stressful times, I was told I could take a little extra.

I am so glad that you are finding this useful John.

me too

I found that the Epsom salts don't work, but the regular mg does work. And yes, I do notice a difference with and without it. Along with fish oils, and other stuff.

Last edited:
I think Shelley what the Epsom salts can do is pull toxins out of your body. It also can relax muscles. I agree though, I don't believe it is the type of magnesium that is going to help support brain cell function.

now I'm curious

What process do they use that is different than regular magnesium that makes it capable of drawing out body toxins?

Magnesium Sulphate -

What you are getting is a chemical compound. It is most likely that the sulphate is what is drawing out the toxins.

Magnesium sulphate is a chemical compound containing magnesium and sulphate, with the formula MgSO4. It is often encountered as the heptahydrate, MgSO4·7H2O, commonly called Epsom salts. Anhydrous magnesium sulfate is used as a drying agent. Since the anhydrous form is hygroscopic (readily absorbs water from the air) and therefore harder to weigh accurately, the hydrate is often preferred when preparing solutions, for example in medical preparations. Epsom salts have traditionally been used as a component of bath salts.

Studies show these benefits from the major components of Epsom Salt may:

Magnesium:

* Ease stress and improves sleep and concentration
* Help muscles and nerves function properly
* Regulate activity of 325+ enzymes
* Help prevent artery hardening and blood clots
* Make insulin more effective
* Reduce inflammation to relieve pain and muscle cramps
* Improve oxygen use
* Help prevent or ease migraine headaches

Sulfates:

* Flush toxins
* Improve absorption of nutrients
* Help form joint proteins, brain tissue and mucin proteins

Magnesium protects the cell from aluminum, mercury, lead, cadmium, beryllium and nickel. Evidence is mounting that low levels of magnesium contribute to the heavy metal deposition in the brain that precedes Parkinson's, multiple sclerosis and Alzheimer's. It is probable that low total body magnesium contributes to heavy metal toxicity in children and is a participant in the etiology of learning disorders.

Deficiency (from low dietary intake or excess loss) is clinically associated with:

* ADD/ADHD
* Alzheimer's
* Angina
* Anxiety disorders
* Arrhythmia
* Arthritis- Rheumatoid and Osteoarthritis
* Asthma
* Autism
* Auto immune disorders- all types
* Cavities
* Cerebral Palsy- in children from magnesium deficient mothers
* Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
* Congestive Heart Disease
* Constipation
* Crooked teeth- narrow jaw- in children from magnesium deficient mothers
* Depression
* Diabetes- Type I and II
* Eating disorders- Bulimia, Anorexia
* Fibromyalgia
* Gut disorders- including peptic ulcer, Crohn's disease, colitis, food allergy
* Heart Disease- Arteriosclerosis, high cholesterol, high triglycerides
* Heart Disease- in infants born to magnesium deficient mothers
* High Blood Pressure
* Hypoglycemia
* Impaired athletic performance
* Infantile Seizure- in children from magnesium deficient mothers
* Insomnia
* Kidney Stones
* Lou Gehrig's Disease
* Migraines- including cluster type
* Mitral Valve Prolapse
* Multiple Sclerosis
* Muscle cramps
* Muscle weakness, fatigue
* Myopia- in children from magnesium deficient mothers
* Obesity- especially obesity associated with high carbohydrate diets
* Osteoporosis- just adding magnesium reversed bone loss
* Parkinson's Disease
* PMS- including menstrual pain and irregularities
* PPH- Primary Pulmonary Hypertension
* Raynaud's
* SIDS- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
* Stroke
* Syndrome X- insulin resistance
* Thyroid disorders- low, high and auto-immune; low magnesium reduces T4

The following substances and conditions reduce total body magnesium

* Alcohol- all forms cause significant losses
* Amphetamines/Cocaine
* Burns- with large surface area
* Calcium- high levels block magnesium absorption
* Carbohydrates- especially white sugar, high fructose corn syrup, white flour
* Chronic pain- any cause
* Coffee- significant losses
* Cyclosporin- extra magnesium can protect from side-effects
* Diabetes- magnesium spills with sugar in the urine
* Diarrhea- any cause
* Dieting- stress plus lowered intake
* Diuretics- even potassium sparing diuretics do not spare magnesium
* Insulin- whether from using insulin or from hyperinsulinemia
* Over-training- extreme athletic physical conditioning/training
* Phentermine / Fenfluramine
* Sodas- especially cola type sodas, both diet and regular
* Sodium- high salt intake
* Stress- physical and mental- anything that gets your fight or flight reaction
* Surgery
* Sweat

http://www.krispin.com/magnes.html

(whispering) .... loose stools

:agree: I've got evidence to back this up in case anybody wants some sent to their address :rock:

It's very quick responding though, because I reduced the dosage and 24hrs later all was okay again

Magnesium side-effects...

I'd like to post a follow-up on this magnesium thing. I just spent a couple of days camping and ran a bit low on mag, noticed myself feeling a bit "borderline". Now back on regular dose and feeling fine. I have managed to reduce dilantin to 2 doses a day, couldn't handle 1 dose, started "brainstorming", went back up to 2 100 mg a day. In comb with mag, seems just right.

One useful side-effect is it helps me do BM more regularly, which is good since I tend to be constipated.

One not so good side-effect is I am convinced that the magnesium makes skin secretions that attract more mosquitoes than usual to me. No matter how much DEET I put on they keep coming at me! Incidentally, I notice too much DEET can have deleterious neurological effects.

Back
Top Bottom