[News] Marijuana

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I have one thing to ask or state I guess about this whole issue. What gives our government the right to say God is wrong? If our gov. found out tomorrow that Pine trees got ya high what would they do, try and burn down or cut down every tree in the mountains? Im sure we would all have a problem with having oxygen very soon.

Yet when they make some kinda crazy cocktail of pills that over time is gonna kill you or cause you alot more problems, our Gov will back it. There has never been a documented overdose of MJ. Every year an average of 10,000 people die from Alcohol related issues, and around 400,000 people die from Ciggs but these are on every corner of every street in the US.

Im not a big advocate for MJ but I admit it has alot of benifits compared to the down side of it. Also if ya stop smoking it and eat it, its a good source of fiber. Im not saying its a cure but its definitly got a benifit factor to it.

Just wanted to add one of the main reasons it is illegal is that they make more money and create jobs in the prison systems. Nothing like keeping our prisons full of unviolent offenders. I love my tax money to go to things that are pretty much needless, also people that get locked up amounst these people might go in non-violent but come out madder than H E double hockey sticks and ready to take on the world, because they have been some dudes man girl over the time they have been in there.

Last edited:
AAHHH man! I brought up cannabis and he locked my words up throwed me into this dungeon, this is the place to say cammabis? ok. If the plant in question was sage or any other herb or plant ,all the people that put up their nose's ,all the do'gooders ect. would be fine with it! but because this plant was introduced when and how it was, its considered "DOPE". no one can see past their nose's! is it anybodys fault or doing's that make this plant the one? If by chance there was a plant discovered that works, but,, no one knew much about it,they'd be dancing and praising the creator! now theres one here that the people of long ago knew about and has been used, but because its "POT" its bad???!! do you see that looking at it this way makes you no diffrent than the one eyed fed's? it does not create monsters, it has never killed, Im not saying that it should be legal for anyone 18 and older! Im saying that if the plant helps at all it should be considered by the feds as that, "not a horrable drug" It is natural. the creator put all herbs here for us and this herb is shown to have a use by us humans! unlike sandburs and other plants that have no real human use! If they said rubbing poison oak on my ball's would help with the E I for one would try it! do you get it yet? we didnt choose wich plant does what. the Creaor did argue with his wisdom and understanding!

AAHHH man! I brought up cannabis and he locked my words up throwed me into this dungeon,

ucbrother.JPG

:roflmao:

It reminds me of the old TV Show

The Mod Squad or ROOM 222

:pop:

Due to the PARKER decision, marijuana is legal in Canada.

Terry, are you *the* Terrance Parker involved in that Supreme Court of Canada decision?

FACES said:
An influential Canadian case involved Terrance Parker, a man with partial epilepsy since age 14 who underwent two brain surgeries for his epilepsy but continued to have seizures. Mr. Parker noted that smoking marijuana helped his seizures and ultimately brought his case before the Supreme Court of Canada. Since 2001, Canadian law allows marijuana use in certain disease conditions, including epilepsy. Such cases are the basis for the use of medicinal marijuana in the 13 states in which marijuana currently has legal use.

FACES Fall newsletter featuring article on marijuana (.PDF file)

ok i am trying to figure out if MJ helps with E or not? I have not had E my whole life I got it from doing hard drugs when I was 17 (i think i was 17) now growing up in school I smoked pot but my body was ok with it at first but as time went on I got really sick and would be in the bathroom puking and scared to go to class or have someone call my mother who I knew would be mad.. so I stopped smoking it. but I must say it took me about 12 times to relize that I CAN NOT SMOKE POT...now at 21 I have not touched it years but I might try it again to see what happends my bf uses it daily and he always trys to get me to smoke it but i always thought pot was bad for E?? help me out here

Tuts, it appears to be one of those things, much like AEDs, where individual response varies. It appears to work for some and not for others.

I agree

Tuts, it appears to be one of those things, much like AEDs, where individual response varies. It appears to work for some and not for others.
Exactly, Years ago I discovered that I would never have a sz. when smoking it but the next day I would almost definitely have a stronger & more intense sz.

Also the side effects of mj on me were the same as my AED's, vertigo, forgetfulness, sluggishness.

Goodness. I've never tried any sort of drugs. Other than what my doctor has given me. I really don't know what I think about this.

I had never known that people used marijuana for E or for side effects of E meds.

lol I'm such a good girl I wouldn't even know where or how to get it. I was just joking with mom about it on her lunch break, hehe. I can't imagine trying it, but I suppose if worst comes to worst and I go years and my seizures stay out of control, I'd be willing to try anything. *shrug*

my son who is two months from 18 had started smoking pot again..... well about three weeks ago my husband told him to start reading his dmv book or when hes 18 hes out... also the day before that i told my son i was going to go over to that house and tell them if they dont stop giving pot to a minor im going to call the police my son freaked out was really mad at me for that ..... anyways, my son took after my husband with a steak knife:(
he stopped but of course i was holding on to him .... I called the police omg! it was a horrorable feeling to have to do this.... my son hates my guts now..... I feel so bad .... he was out of control..the police ended up calling an ambulance that night because i ended up having a really bad panic attack while all this was going on and was in the bathroom sick to my stomic they said my blood pressure was pretty high i took my meds early and it went down.... I HATE DRUGS........anyways thats why i went into a bad depression on the keppra and was having trouble coming out of it....
whats helping some is destroying others...:sad:
love,
angel

Two basic points

I have two basic points I would like to make about the use of mj or any other illegal drug.

1. It is ILLEGAL in the USA. This was not decided by some back room all powerful government conspiracy. It was decided by those elected by the majority of voters many seperate levels of government. This debate has been going on for 50 years. The majority still side with keeping mj illegal.

2. If the ingredients in mj are so effective, WHY aren't the advocates satisfied with using just those ingredients extracted from the harmful ingredients. My personal experience is that they want to use mj and are using the supposed medical benefits as an excuse.

I have known many people who use mj and have not seen it have a positive impact on any of them. I have personally seen many of the negative impacts ranging from unfulfilled potentials of talented people to accidents/injuries/fights while high to expanded drug abuse to suicide.

Please never state the use of mj as a position held by the majority of people with epilepsy as that would be a flat out lie.

:noevil:

No disrespect to others opinions intended. Likewise, I do not wish to be disrespected by them using everyone with E as a reason for their illegal activity.

I have a prescription for medical mj. My neuro knows and completely approves. I take it in combo with a low dose of Keppra. It's the CBDs in the plant that have anti-convulsant effects. Just from my own experience, it lessens my seizures as long as taken in small amounts. The strain and time of harvest have a lot to do with it too. Predominantly indica strains (vs. sativa strains) work better. Also, the longer you let the plant mature, the more the THC will convert to CBD. People getting mj illegally off the street usually have no idea what strain they're getting, or how early/late it was harvested. It's extremely important to know what you're getting, if you're using it as an AED.

On the flip side, TOO MUCH mj can have the opposite effect. I think this may be why studies are inconclusive.

Just my :twocents:.

I have two basic points I would like to make about the use of mj or any other illegal drug.

1. It is ILLEGAL in the USA. This was not decided by some back room all powerful government conspiracy. It was decided by those elected by the majority of voters many seperate levels of government. This debate has been going on for 50 years. The majority still side with keeping mj illegal.

2. If the ingredients in mj are so effective, WHY aren't the advocates satisfied with using just those ingredients extracted from the harmful ingredients. My personal experience is that they want to use mj and are using the supposed medical benefits as an excuse.

I have known many people who use mj and have not seen it have a positive impact on any of them. I have personally seen many of the negative impacts ranging from unfulfilled potentials of talented people to accidents/injuries/fights while high to expanded drug abuse to suicide.

Please never state the use of mj as a position held by the majority of people with epilepsy as that would be a flat out lie.

No disrespect to others opinions intended. Likewise, I do not wish to be disrespected by them using everyone with E as a reason for their illegal activity.

On a state level, medical mj HAS been voted on by the majority of voters for some states. As for the federal level, I do believe there's somewhat of a conspiracy with the lobbyists of the pharmaceutical companies. They pay our congressmen lots of money to vote against medical mj. Drug companies can't make money if people can grow their own meds. They say it has no medical value, yet at the same time they have developed and implemented synthetic mj-based drugs and have them on the market in many countries, including the US.

I would be happy with the key ingredients (such as the nonpsychoactive CBD of cannabis) being extracted and used for medicine, but I think a lot of the problem lies with the fact that 1) some people don't want synthetic drugs, and 2) these synthetic versions that are out on the market are extremely expensive, 3) research has shown that synthetic versions (such as Marinol) do not have the same effect as the natural version, especially for issues such as nausea and vomiting in cancer patients.

I've seen mmj have a positive impact on many people, but I do agree that it adversely affects others. People with schizophrenia, paranoia, and a history of psychosis should steer clear of it, and those with anxiety/panic issues need to use caution. It's not for everyone. I suffer from fibromyalgia, besides the epilepsy, and I'm one of the few fibro patients that doesn't have chronic pain. I've even ran a marathon after starting mmj treatment. I don't think it's had a negative impact on me at all.

Ive smoked pot for many years, Ive been through it all!!! Several brain surgerys, open heart sugery and back surgery just to name a few. The benefits of the pot smoking are, pain reduction,stress reduction,and better sleep. How could that be bad for anyone? All of those would be really good benefits for people with epilepsy

With dually noted respect for you and your post I am going to post a lengthy and passionate rebuttal to this post.

Anyway, I live in Humboldt County, California and it is the Cannibus (NOT MARIJUANA) capitol of the United Sates. I say not marijuana because marijuana was a term created by a single person: Harry J. Anslinger. He was the United State's first Drug Czar who was brought in by Roosevelt not the people in 1936 the same year that Cannibus was made illegal. Harry J. Anslinger and William Randolph Hearst used vast wealth and propaganda through entertaining mediums such as the movie "Refer Madness" which even if you know nothing about cannibus you will realize is complete bull shit. It states cannibus will make you permanently insane on your first use, which people believed. Through this movie and many other things over his thirty plus year tenure as drug czar he convinced the public that this plant was an evil drug when in reality it is an herb that has the ability to heal the sick, heal the environment, create clothing, and be used for paper.

I have E and cannibus does not help me personally because I have complex partial seizures. I never use cannibus, but I have a medical card for other reasons. While I have not personally seen epileptic patients benefit from the use of cannibus, I read this hoping to read that someone with epilepsy has because I've heard that people do. However, I have seen people with other serious medical conditions benefit more from cannibus more than any other pharmaceutical on the market first hand at times. Living in the place that I am in I have seen people be so relieved that they have access to the cannibus plant without being stressed out that the cops will bust through their door at any moment and arrest them for feeling relief from their symptoms.

There are only two reasons that this plant is still illegal on the federal level:

1. The pharmaceutical companies choose not to let it happen. (Pfizer is a multi billion dollar conglomerate that would lose out on profit if people on a large scale realized that there are cheap and natural options available that take no more than dirt, water and sun to get to)

2. The general public "voters" that buckeye fan was talking about are still convinced that cannibus is more harmful than alcohol or cigarettes when those two things kill more than 700,000 people a year combined. Cannibus killed only 17 people last year and those were people who choose to drive under the influence while high (mostly teens) I dont condone minors smoke pot unless they have an illness anyway, I dont think anyone should drive high.

Final note... Someone stated in this thread earlier that they do not have seizures while high but the next day when they are not high anymore they have severe seizures. My suggestion would be to first find the correct strain for you. Indica Sativa is likely the best but I dont know for sure. If you are going to try this as a therapeutic medicine research food recipes. Make cookies, brownies, herb oil. This way you can supplement it into your food and it is a much smoother high and you can stay high all day this way you will not come down and not have a seizure. However, it takes about 30-40 minutes for the high to kick in while smoking takes 2 minutes for the high to kick in. Eating cannibus is far healthier than smoking it. This are just suggestions from an educated source, do your own research before you do anything. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
marijauna use

Unless youve smoked pot for a long time,you can say all you want about the drug and not know what your talking about! Try it, get the facts, pass on to others the truth about pharmacitial drugs and how they destroy our health. Thats somthing everyone who takes pills should know! What facts do you know about that?!!:soap::soap:

I smoked it 3 to 4 times a week for nearly two years between my senior year of high school and my first year of college. From the time I was 16 I have been around friends everyday who smoke it every single day of their lives who are at times more successful, always more healthy (because I am epileptic and have to take fucking pills) and more motivated than I am. I no longer use the stuff because I was diagnosed with epilepsy in August of 07 and started actually noticing the feelings of epilepsy which weed does not help for me in probably late 05 early 06. At that time i stopped smoking weed completely. I have been around it, smoked it at least 1000 times and know what it does to me and others. It's unfortunate that it doesn't work for you, me and from what it sounds like most other people with epilepsy.

MIKE SAID: Try it, get the facts, pass on to others the truth about pharmaceutical drugs and how they destroy our health.

yes, exactly!

Last edited:
marijauna use can distroy your health... as can aeds.. dont get so upset mike:) what might work for one person may not work well with another thats all we are really saying.
I say if your on your death bed and mj is working to keep you from pain go for it.. its your life!

love,
angel

Back
Top Bottom