Music\auditory stimulus and the Epileptic brain

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Excellent thread!

:clap::clap::clap:What a great idea you had starting this thread! I may add Rachmaninov (any piano concerto will do). I also enjoy listening to Mendelssohn.

Sorry I have been away for a while.
Bernard,
yes what you sent on alternative treatments, etc. is of great interest and help. If I could just get the alligators (and Neurologists) to let me get my head back above the water of the swamp, breathe in some frozen Minnesota winter snow-filled air, raise enough heck to make radical changes to my meds, get back to composing the three compositions that are waiting for my attention, find a fairy godfather who will pay all my bills for the next six months (minimum), and, uh, there was something else, what could it have been?
Yes, thanks for the information.
I am considering a name change (again) with the words "determined" and "perseverant"
before and after my middle name.
"D*** the torpedoes, full speed ahead."

I was raised by my mom who played piano and organ. I was fascinated when she would play Hazel Scott's Boogie Woogie at an incredible speed. I eventually took piano lessons and studied mostly classical music for 30 years. My interest is still strong and I'm starting to love jazz with all the awkward rhythms. Try getting Steve Allee's CD called 'Colors'. It's fantastic and full of a lot of great sound. I taught myself some Impressionist music like Debussy (really awkward rhythms!) that really required memorization and coordination. I honestly think music is a great stress buster. Stress is such a strong factor in my epilepsy and music causes me to totally get lost in the sounds, theory, and styles rather than think of my stressful issues of the day.

I need a smilie for hittin' the nail on the head, ya know?!?!?!

Stress is such a strong factor in my epilepsy and music causes me to totally get lost in the sounds, theory, and styles rather than think of my stressful issues of the day.

I agree totally!...this is what fascinates me:

• On the one hand, you could just try to relax by sitting down in your comfy chair with the lights just right and the temperature just right....and listen to your favorite songs....
  • ...but on the other hand, on a VERY stressful day, maybe in a very stressful situation that you can't see an escape route for---music can often still relieve some tension! For example, has it ever quelled road rage?...or made life at work more manageable?
I think music can 'demand attention' from the brain in a way that helps keep it from working at its other job at the time of high stress...which is apparently trying to send us lots of big signals like "settle down before you overdo it" or "bad move, don't do that anymore!".

'Getting lost' as you put it, for me, is that redirection of attention! Because I've found it to help me reduce stress agreat deal (raising my seizure threshhold and decreasing the recovery time!)...I've subconsciously trained myself to be very open to the redirection. This can actually be a little annoying at times to others because I'm easily distracted by music now!

I must also reiterate from earlier in the thread that there is music (and other auditory stimuli) that have NEGATIVE effects! If these can be identified for an individual (kind of like allergies I would imagine) then that individual would have a better chance at avoiding them!

The research continues!
:rock:

You are so right! For me it would be several things, Carlos Nakai, Native American Flute; Julian Bream, his Spanish music; Chopin's Muzurkas, and Chinese string [pipa] music. Music can so direct, or redirect my mental and emotional states. What great discoveries are you making in those LPs? I am trying to find a recording, "The Art of Julian Bream," should you come across one. It is one of his earlier works. And I already mentioned Paul Horn, and Tony Scott.
A combination [music to soothe brain waves] is like a great idea!
I've been raised on classical music and is still my most favorite type of music. However, my tastes really vary. I love Debussy, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms and Bach as my top 4 favorites. However, I've got two 6-cd players with rock, classical, black gospel, jazz and Indian music all loaded and playing. One play is in my living room, and one player is in my car. I've been told that my tastes are weird sometimes, but I love practially every kind of music available.

I'm not sure if this is a pattern for this condition, but I frequently love to repeat tracks over and over again.

Last edited:
You are so right! For me it would be several things, Carlos Nakai, Native American Flute; Julian Bream, his Spanish music; Chopin's Muzurkas, and Chinese string [pipa] music. Music can so direct, or redirect my mental and emotional states. What great discoveries are you making in those LPs? I am trying to find a recording, "The Art of Julian Bream," should you come across one. It is one of his earlier works. And I already mentioned Paul Horn, and Tony Scott.
A combination [music to soothe brain waves] is like a great idea!
Zoe, if there is music that you cannot find on CDs anymore (I know I couldn't find a few pieces from Columbia which was bought out by Sony), then try the following sites:
Arkivmusic.com (I learned about this one from our Public Broadcasting Station)
SheetmusicPlus (if you want a printed copy)
Amazon.com
E-Bay
And, of course RealPlayer, Rhapsody, Windows Media and a few other ones that help you customize your ipods or cds.

It will some day be proven why this occurs!....

I'm not sure if this is a pattern for this condition, but I frequently love to repeat tracks over and over again.

It helps...you feel better...you want more...you play it again!

You should also check out the thread I'm Changing My Tune(s) for another aspect of this scenario though!

Science will someday prove how...until then, I trust my instincts on this subject.

Last edited:
It helps...you feel better...you want more...you play it again!

You should also check out the thread I'm Changing My Tune(s) for another aspect of this scenario though!

Science will someday prove how...until then, I trust my instincts on this subject.
I feel like one of those rats that push the button for a treat. Only my treat is whatever music I want and I love a lot of music. Amazon.com really gets me started. If you buy one CD, they come back with a reply like 'if you like this CD, then you might like to buy ....'. And, I do!

Cue-ing Huey, Bernard!....

I KNOW what you mean!

PS. The Beatles played the 'Ratskellar' in Germany...rats got it good sometimes!
:banana:

Das was gut! Ich sprechen ein bitte Deutsch....

It was great! I speak a little German. Such sarcasm...but funny! Humor is definitely a good way to deal with this.

Last edited:
Anything to lighten the load!....

:agree:

Peace

Wunderbar!....

Ich sprechen ein bitte Deutsch....(divided by 1000!)

Danke! Das ist sehr gut! Wie geht's? Wie haben Sie gas gemacht? Mir gefallt es.
Ich habe Musik im das Link

Ist es genug? (Is it enough?) Aber es is nicht Deutsch.

The following is achieved by inserting the code immediately following 'v=' in your link in between the youtube tags that appear when you select the youtube icon from the message editor!

Peace
Speber

Last edited by a moderator:
That's funny!...

I couldn't quite understand....is that YOUR dog Aliveandwell?

It isn't my dog. When I was playing this one, I got a similar reaction to the music from my dog. I have a fairly intelligent mutt who came from the pound. She's a great friend who loves to exercise and walk. I honestly think she helps my stress level, which in turn also helps my health.

I know I used to play this song over and over again as a kid. Funny how that record just disappeared one day. I grew up with different kinds of dogs. We also had fish, birds and a turtle. It was great to find this one again. I think I'll play it again!

However I do really like your choice of Nat King Cole. I haven't got too many recordings of his stuff. This one was great!
I think I'll go do some online shopping.

Here's another great one if you're in need of any lift:

Last edited:
Nat King Cole....

His name has come up MANY TIMES as helpful so far!
I've logged him as someone to research further!

I always liked him myself!

When I think of the great strides that blacks have come through, I do think their pain is similar to anybody with a handicap, including epilepsy. Obviously, there is a spiritual side to their music that hits the soul regardless of anybody's beliefs. It had to be a successful coping mechanism to suffering, pain and success.

One of my recent favorite discoveries was Kirk Franklin. His music is absolutely awesome and has such a wide array of rhythms, instrumentation and vocal mixtures. I accidentally found a CD that had some of his music on it in a 'best of ...' collection and became addicted to his music. Ironically, I found that CD at a drug store while buying meds.

Kirk Franklin's song called 'Stomp' became a big hit. I read that even Japanese people have sung this one. His musical history with God's Property was controversial because it broke away from the conventional black Baptist churches. But after Stomp became such a huge hit and reached many young people, it was accepted because of its positive power. That was the first piece I heard by him and I think it definitely has a lot of power. It encourages physical motion (exercise), positive thinking and it aggressively enters one's soul.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom