Music\auditory stimulus and the Epileptic brain

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Thanks!...I've updated the link...

:rock:

Well here are a few more songs that help me feel better. I think many of you will also like them.

Last edited:
Awesome!.....

Love Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys!....I'm adding something to the Auditorium!

Something I've found

I've found that what music makes me feel better depends on my mood and that listening to music that reflects the mood I'm in helps me work through it. For example if I"m depressed depressing music helps bring me out of it (Leonard Cohen is good for that). If I'm angry punk helps me release that anger. I've also found that as I get older I value relaxation music (classical, new age & various instrumental music) more & more.

Brain Music Therapy

This is really interesting. I know you'll enjoy it Speber (click the link for the full article - there's more to the story):
I'M RELAXING in a chair upstairs inside Suite 11 of the historic Kiely House in Santa Clara, a Queen Anne Victorian dating back to the 19th century. Dr. Sue Klear, a licensed psychologist specializing in neurofeedback, has just attached seven sensors to my head and face with an odorless skin-prepping gel to prepare me for the initial stages of Brain Music Therapy, an experimental treatment for insomnia, anxiety, depression and stress.

The treatment records an individual's brain waves using an Electroencephalogram (EEG), analyzes them and then converts them into two piano tracks—one "relaxing file" and one "activating file." These are eventually burned onto a CD for the patient to play while going to sleep and after waking up, the idea being that the musical sounds form a correlation to your specific brain waves in order to help eliminate imbalanced brain activity. So, theoretically, you end up sleeping much better and function more productively during the day.

Originally developed at the Moscow Medical Academy as a nonpharmacological method for treating insomnia in the early '90s, Brain Music Therapy has received a boost from some scientific evidence of its effectiveness, including randomized double-blind studies in small-scale groups. It is now used on an experimental basis throughout the world to treat a variety of neurological scenarios including post traumatic stress disorder, attention deficit disorder (ADD) and withdrawal symptoms from drug or alcohol dependence. The Russian-born Dr. Galina Mindlin received the exclusive rights to provide this treatment in the United States in 2004 and has now treated hundreds of patients through her private practice in New York. Twenty other doctors throughout the United States now use the therapy as part of their practice, and Dr. Klear is the only one in the Bay Area who uses it. She runs her practice out of Suite 11 in the Kiely House.

Here's the procedure: Dr. Klear first takes me through a basic medical evaluation, which includes me filling out two questionnaires, the Beck Depression Inventory and the Subjective Sleep Scale. Then I sit in the chair while the sensors are placed at key points to pick up my brain waves. This part of the procedure takes about five minutes and Dr. Klear throws some tranquil ocean sounds into the stereo to help me relax, the idea being that the patient needs to be in as relaxed a state as possible during the EEG, so the proper brain waves are recorded. She even closes the window to block out the traffic sounds from outside.

My brain waves are then recorded into the software and Dr. Klear sends the files off to the main center for Brain Music Therapy in Moscow. Since the Russians apparently have a patent on the algorithm that converts the brain waves into musical sounds, that part of the process must be done in Moscow and nowhere else, which adds to the conspiratorial Cold War–esque-KBG-mind-control-outer-space quality of this entire scenario. Before succumbing to the EEG, everyone has to sign a "Brain Music Informed Consent," which includes this statement: "I agree to allow my personalized EEG recording to be emailed to Moscow so that my personalized recording can be created."
DEAD LINK>>> Sustain in the Brain

It sounds an awful lot like OchsLabs LENS system as far as the underlying mechanism is concerned (though the feedback technology is different).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi to all!

May be I'm saying now like conservative hunker, but my opinion about this "brainmusic from Moscow" is plain and simple:

It's a sort of well known AVE (audio-visual entrainment) therapy, at best.

See for details here:

http://www.mindalive.com/1_0/article%201.pdf

and there:

DEAD LINK>>>
hyperprogram.com/Descargas/Entrainment.pdf

Things like "e-mailing to Moscow, coding", etc. are just necessary psychological tricks to enhance placebo- component of this training.

Sure, any good music possesses heailing effect on the mind.

Let's remember so called "Mozart effect" etc.

But special music coded in Moscow... Even based on EEG... No, ladies and gentlemen - is far beyond my understanding...

Best to all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys!...

I likes 'em both! I'm adding them to my links section!

Hi Speber. Have you actually researched this area of study? If so, I could use your knowledge and expertise as this is related to what I am researching now. Many thanks, Rocket Man.

I used to like "how do you like me now."

Of course that was when I was quickly working my way up.

Good thing I never did it blare it for the people I would have so loved to do because I ended up needing to rely on them to help me out when the epilepsy struck

"How Do You Like Me Now?".......

Did it actually help you recover?...is that what you are saying?.....because I have had similar experiences with certain tunes.

Peace
Speber

A fellow music researcher!

Hi Speber. Have you actually researched this area of study? If so, I could use your knowledge and expertise as this is related to what I am researching now. Many thanks, Rocket Man.

Only my own very un-scientific research I'm afraid.
Thank GOD for the Internet and its ability to open the doors to scientific research as well!

Check out my signature line below for links to my main 'research' and the Auditorium on this site where I'm looking for feedback from everyone as to how various pieces make them feel. Bernard has generously allowed me to set this up as it is very 'un-scientific' and I'm an individual....not some company looking for guinea pigs!

What research are you doing?...what have you found?

Peace
Speber

Well, back when I could actually hear music, I loved listening to Michael Groban and Celtic Thunder. They both helped me relax.

Hmmmm?........

.....both have a LOT of low mid to low end melody?

I love that range myself!

Speber

"If I Only Had A Brain, That Worked"

Life would be so much better if we only had brains, that worked.

inh1j7.gif

Speder

In the beginning, you asked what type of music I would like to listen to. Melody music is definetely one of them. Laying down in the fall with leaves falling through the trees, would definetely relax me. I can have a picnic with leaves falling through the trees, as well.

if

it weren't for all the falshy thingys, I'd post some of seber's music.
It's on youtube under coffee sergeants. A lot of the songs are wonderfully relaxing and mellow.
For those who are audio sensitive: I give warning for the feedback deliberately done on the songs.

Hi Shelly

I do not anything about youtube. I am probably the only one who doesn't.

How do I get into youtube and seber's music? He has great music ideas. Give me the address, please

Now, I look and see the music from you tube. That is fantastic. Thank you!!

I do not have auditory on my computer. My computer is that old.

Bernard has put soft light brown colors for us. That helps us as well.

Back
Top Bottom