New to seizures - helpful info for 1st timers

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Augusto

New
Reaction score
As some of you might have read, I had my first (and hopefully last) tonic-clonic seizure last Saturday night. After a night in observation at the hospital I am now "waiting" for an MRI and neurologist´s appointment. In the meantime I have been reading and looking for stats on the likelihood of this happening again. It was not easy but I finally hit upon a decent piece of research that indicates all sorts of interesting stats on recurrence. My main take aways are that: 1) approximately two thirds of recurrences are within 6 months of the first one (hey, at least now I know how long this "waiting game" is likely to last !), 2) 30-50 percent of unprovoked seizures are likely to recur (my positive reading is that 70-50 percent wont recur...wishful thinking), 3) on the other hand, more than two thirds of people who incure a second seizure are likely to continue experiencing seizures, 4) half of the people who get one seizure are likely not to have a second one (I am praying to be in that group!). Now the "waiting game" continues. I hope the following link will be helpful to anyone in similar conditions to mine, curious about the feelings, emotions and probable evolution after a 1st tonic-clonic experience. I found all the above info here: oops, looks like I have not been here long enough to be able to post links to the source of these stats...Pitty, I think it is a helpful article for "first timers"...If you care, look for "first seizure and its management in adults" in the bmj website (british medical journal)

Thanks for the info Augusto.

:cheers:

Stick around and visit for awhile. I hope you understand our reasons for limiting links to new members. Far too many spammers/hackers out there trying to harm others. I am sure with the information you provided from a reputable source, others will visit the BMJ site.

I had my first tonic-clonic at the age of 20 (many years ago). Maybe it was the age, but early on I didn't worry about having another, even though I spent 6 days in the hospital undergoing tests at the time. I started taking the Dilantin that was prescribed and am still taking it 27 years later.

I think my second seizure came within 3 months of the first. They were not frequent, but always strong tonic-clonics.

I agree with you. We will all pray you are one of the 70%.

I wish I had all this information available to me all those years ago.

Hi Augusto!
Welcome to the site! :hello:
I really hope you are in the 70%
But if you're not, just remember that there is plenty of things that you (and your doctor) can do to stop you seizures. And usually, 80% of people will never have another seizure after being on a medication. Or there are several diets or other special things you can do to stop seizures.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!! :)

Thanks to all for your support. I have now spent several days reading A LOT on the subject and am feeling better about it. I still wont know the results from the MRI for a while (10 days). So it turns out that my main concern are now tumors and not epilepsy. But I am assuming there are no tumors since everything came out fine in the CT and the EEG. I intend to see a cardiologist and an endocrino after the neuro confirms all is OK; you know, just to cover all the bases. Hopefully this was a one-off (waiting...) and if not, let´s hope everything else is in order and I only have to take a pill every day into the next decade. I guess that would not be so bad after all... Luck to all, great site.

Back
Top Bottom