Newsweek's Cover Story - Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

tinasmom

New
Reaction score
The cover story of this week’s Newsweek magazine is “The Mystery of Epilepsy, Why We Must Find a Cure.”

I just received this information in an email today. It's so exciting to see an article on E as a cover story for a national magazine. E is finally coming out of the shadows and people will finally have some awareness.

:clap:

Nice to know Epilepsy is in the spotlight. We're all more complex than those w/o epilepsy. :agree:

thanks for posting the link!
It's about time that some info is getting out to the masses.:clap:

I think that this quote alone is reason enough to have more studies and funding for research.
There are 200,000 new cases each year, and a total of more than 3 million Americans are affected by it—more than multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy and Parkinson's disease combined. Between 1 and 3 percent of the population will develop some form of epilepsy before age 75.

Great job, tinas mom & Dutch mom!!

I think everyone on this site should post comments to Newsweek so that the folks in the media can see what an important medical issue this is!!

Thanks for the inspirationl!!

Last edited:
:clap: Great that newsweek took this step and gave it the cover.
I sent the link on to my family and friends that don't understand E. For me the beginning of the article that compares the number of people with E to breast cancer was the most telling. I have several friends that have had breast cancer and I always support them with the walks, etc....but no of them seem to understand that E is on the same level as it. It is just unbelievable how E gets so little funding.

I will be posting this on my FaceBook and sending to all my friends and family who don't understand the serious need for more research. Many in our community saw firsthand the seriousness of e when my daughter was carried out of the elementary school on a weekly basis by ambulance because she was again in status. It's time more is done!

I went and bought a copy of Newsweek today so that I could use the 3 articles in there for reference when my husbands family ever has a problem with trying to understand E.
It's a really good read!
Apparently my mother-in-law just thinks that I'm just "forgetfull" all the time because I choose not to remember what needs to be done and that I gained 30 lbs in one year because I wasn't eating right and has nothing to do with my AED drugs being switched around. She thinks she's so smart.

Last edited:
I am still waiting for it to come out on
my NEWSRACK!

:(

BUT YAY! Finally Epilepsy is getting MEDIA ATTENTION!

Thank heavens! We actually got media attention that wasn't Travolta related....but still I wish they would have included the proper first aid techniques for seizures...and I wish that they hadn't made e sound so gloom and doomy. Yes, it can be fatal...but many of us strive to have normal lives with spouses, careers, families, etc.....

I also worry about this rush for more research, as it usually means more meds. It makes me think of cancer. After multi-billions, we are no closer to a cure, yet we do have far more drugs to dump into the body. How many people are doing what needs to be done to prevent cancer, yet expect a drug to fix them.

I found this to be the best sentence in the whole article:
...so many of those who must endure it do so valiantly, and with grace and grit,

In the article, Dr. Devinsky talks about being cautious with drugs. He sounds like a good doctor who doesn't like all the side effects caused by drugs. I did hear a researcher speak at the National Kids Speak Up conference regarding new devices to stop seizures instead of meds. I truly believe that research is looking for alternatives to drugs.

How much information was shared about Celiac, food sensitivities, hypoglycemia, intestinal disorders etc?
This is huge in the ASD world... seems it should be considered in the seizure community as well.

The article was very well written for a basic concept to reach the general public.

Newsweek really has to be commended for bringing out the need for more and improved treatments of epilepsy. The political aspect of the article caught my attention.

In the article, Dr. Devinsky talks about being cautious with drugs.
:agree: If you check the epilepsy.com website, which Dr. Devinsky started, there is a section about non-drug therapies for epilepsy.

:agree: also with aliveandwell, the article was written as a basic concept for the general public, who need it the most. Most of us who come here know more than enough about epilepsy, sometimes more than the docs! At least we know how it feels, unfortunately. :(

Robin,
There is also another book out there entitled: "Complimentary and Alternative Therapies for Epilepsy". It covers nutrition, cranialsacral therapy, acupuncture, neurofeedback, herbal treatment, and numerous other treatments, for those who are seeking alternatives. :ponder:

Just picked up the magazine today - I really liked this article. It was so thorough ... very well done! :)

:agree: If you check the epilepsy.com website, which Dr. Devinsky started, there is a section about non-drug therapies for epilepsy.
It gives a definition of CAM and integrative medicine, and then if you want more you can go to the NCCAM website, which has nothing on seizure disorders. How does that help anyone find answers?

Robin,
There is also another book out there entitled: "Complimentary and Alternative Therapies for Epilepsy". It covers nutrition, cranialsacral therapy, acupuncture, neurofeedback, herbal treatment, and numerous other treatments, for those who are seeking alternatives. :ponder:
Yes, I just pulled this book off of my shelf again. I hope to learn more.
Thank you for the reminder

Back
Top Bottom