[Research] Preventing SUDEP?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Imagine a simple test to identify your risk for SUDEP. An EKG, and if positive, a simple genetic screening test to identify the family of genes that identify this new risk factor.

If you test positively, the prevention could be as simple as taking beta blockers...or in more serious cases, inserting a pacemaker.

To read more about this exciting breakthrough study, click on: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/167471.php

Last edited:
From the article:
No one knew why young people with epilepsy died suddenly, but Goldman built on previous work in Noebels' lab that found that an ion channel gene thought to work only in the heart was active in the brain as well. She examined five ion channel genes linked to long QT syndrome, a disorder associated with heart rhythm disorders and sudden death.

Long QT refers to an interval in electrocardiograms - the QT interval, which is prolonged in this disorder. An ion channel is a tiny pore in a membrane that controls the flow of ions such as calcium and potassium in and out of a cell.

Goldman found that mice with a mutation in the gene that encodes for the KvLQT1 ion channel had frequent epileptic seizes as well as life-threatening heart rhythm irregularities.

'This demonstrates the long-sought molecular link between heart and brain in epilepsy," said Noebels.
My sister may have died of SUDEP, and my mother has heart arrhythmia. I think I get it too. I definitely get heart palpitations when I have caffeine and am stressed.

I am not sure whether my sister had arrhythmia or not, whether arrhythmia or only the gene is necessary, or what exactly caused her to die but it is another data point. My sister may have died of Status Epilepticus, we don't know for sure.

Perhaps, for safety's sake, you should get the genetic test... It's not a big deal and it could possibly save your life!

Back
Top Bottom