Progressive Myclonic Epilepsy treated with NAC

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
Looking at the role of magnesium and N-acetylcysteine in the reduction of seizures I found this:

The finding of increased activity of the enzyme extracellular superoxide dismutase in four siblings with progressive myoclonus epilepsy of the Unverricht-Lundborg type (PME-UL) prompted the addition of antioxidants to these patients treatment regimen. After 6 months treatment with vitamin E, selenium, riboflavin, and zinc, there was some improvement in patient awareness and speech. N-acetylcysteine (NAC) is a sulfhydryl antioxidant that increases cellular glutathione and the activity levels of several antioxidant enzymes and has additional actions that contribute to its demonstrated efficacy in preventing or decreasing damage in models of neuronal toxicity. We treated the affected siblings with 4 to 6 grams a day of NAC in addition to the other antioxidants and magnesium. There has been a marked decrease in myoclonus and some normalization of somatosensory evoked potentials with NAC treatment. The patients were treated with NAC for up to 30 months with continued beneficial effects. NAC may prevent further deterioration in the clinical course of patients with PME-UL and may be indicated in other neurodegenerative conditions where excess free radical activity may contribute to disease progression.

http://grande.nal.usda.gov/ibids/index.php?mode2=detail&origin=ibids_references&therow=8718

Last edited:
Wow,

this is neat stuff, Robin! And FOUR siblings.........that's kind of scary in and of itself...

sorry Bernard.. I just added the link.
The doctor that suggested magnesium for me, and that saw Rebecca and did the only extensive testing on her, recommended that NAC be a part of her supplements. I eventually stopped it because I couldn't find a strong connection to seizure control. This research is interesting though.

Back
Top Bottom