Shutting Down Seizure Activity

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
University of Iowa just might be the place to be...

The multidisciplinary team of scientists pieced together information from clinical observations made in the first half of the 20th century with knowledge from modern genetics and molecular biology to show that an acid-activated ion channel in the brain reacts to a drop in pH (increased acid) in a way that shuts down seizure activity.

The link between low pH in the brain and seizure termination was first hinted at nearly 80 years ago when clinical experiments showed that breathing carbon dioxide, which makes brain tissue more acidic, helps stop epileptic seizures. Subsequent studies in the 1950s found that seizures themselves reduce brain pH. However, it was the modern discovery of an acid-activated ion channel (ASIC1a) in the brain that provided the key to the UI discovery, which is reported in Nature Neuroscience Advance Online Publication on June 8.

"The discovery helps explain why breathing carbon dioxide stops seizures, which might stimulate the use of carbon dioxide for stopping seizures, Wemmie said. "However, although this work provides insight into how seizures normally stop and might help us learn more about how to terminate those seizures that don't stop, it will take more work to turn the finding into a new therapeutic approach. We will be working with colleagues in neurology and neurosurgery to try and translate the findings to treatments."

http://www.physorg.com/news132151828.html

:clap:HOW DO YOU FIND THESE NUGGETS OF INFORMATION????:clap:

I am amazed by the article. It's the first "real" study that I've seen (IMO) show success in pinpointing what triggers a seizure to stop! We're all just glad when a seizure stops but the thought that there is a chance that someday...Someday...we could stop a seizure! That would be fantastic!:woot:

:clap:HOW DO YOU FIND THESE NUGGETS OF INFORMATION????:clap:

See that little menu bar running across the top of the page? In that menu bar is something that says Epilepsy News, and under that is Neurofeeback News.
I like to read it...
If I find something interesting, then I post it.

I wonder if in times of status if they might try this.

It certainly gives hope that maybe they are starting to figure out a couple more pieces to this puzzle. And it seems like it would be an uncomplicated therapy option....In about 30 years when the goverment finally approves it for human use. Still every step is a step in the right direction!

Dallas UTSW has helped stop seizures in 5,000 patients

In 1998 when I first started going to Parkland Memorial Health & Hospital Systems has I was seeing a doctor from the University of Southwestern Medical at the Aston building. Both places has been nationally recogninized in the researh on Epilelpsy and for Mutiple Scerosis. E.M.U. at Parkland Hospital has a level 4 unit and has been recognized by the National Epilepsy Association. My doctor Mark Agostini has also been nationally and world wide known for several new trials and the new nuero space that goes on the brain has helped young man in Arlington, TX that are new very good.This the only dr I trust.:clap::e:
David Hair

Back
Top Bottom