Virus connection to seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
Immunization with the whole-cell pertussis vaccine (Pw), while effective at preventing whooping cough in infants, has been associated with local, systemic, and neuronal reactions, including fevers and convulsions in children. In contrast, the new acellular pertussis vaccines (Pa) have a considerably improved safety profile. The lack of an appropriate animal model has restricted investigations into the mechanisms by which neurological reactions are induced by vaccination. Here we describe a novel murine model wherein seizure-like behavioral changes are induced following parenteral administration of Pw. The proinflammatory cytokine interleukin-β (IL-1β), production of which has been associated with many neurodegenerative conditions, was significantly increased in the hippocampus and hypothalamus of vaccinated animals. Accompanying this change was a decrease in release of the inhibitory neurotransmitters γ-aminobutyric acid and adenosine in the hippocampus. Seizure-like behavioral changes were significantly reduced following inhibition of IL-1β production by the administration of an inhibitor of IL-1β-converting enzyme and were almost completely abrogated in IL-1 receptor type I knockout mice. These results suggest a causal relationship between IL-1β induction and convulsive behavior following Pw vaccination. Significantly, Pa neither increased IL-1β nor induced behavioral changes in mice, but did induce the anti-inflammatory cytokine IL-10. In contrast, administration of active pertussis toxin and lipopolysaccharide, residual in Pw but absent from Pa, also induced convulsive activity. Our findings provide the first direct evidence of an immunological basis for pertussis vaccine reactogenicity and suggest that active bacterial toxins are responsible for the neurologic disturbances observed in children immunized with Pw.
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez&artid=98454&rendertype=abstract

Something has been going round my head lately that I can't seem to make clarity about. Perhaps someone can help me.
As we have discussed in other threads that there just might be a connection between ADD/ADHD and Epilepsy.
Other neurological malfunctions are related as well, one being Autism. I have been reading many articles, and belong to groups that discuss the fact that most with Autism and Asperger Syndrome even Alzheimers, have intestinal issues caused by viruses and fungus. Many are believed to sit dormant in the body for sometime, and others cause problems immediately. I am confused, and yet this seems to be an answer to many triggers.
I try to discuss this with my daughters doctor and that is when I get all tongue tied, since I don't have the vocabulary available to me when I want it. Perhaps you kind folks can help me with this confusing path I am on.

I have not read anything about neurological conditions caused by fungi or intestinal virii, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was another possible cause for damaging the central nervous system.

If it's going to take longer than an hour to compose your post, you should compose it off-line in Notepad or your favorite text editor and then paste it to the forums when you are done. The forum has to use time limited sessions/cookies to function properly.

I'm not sure how useful the information re: virii/fungi is ultimately. Once the damage is done, the important thing, to my mind, is how to heal (or adapt/cope).

But that is the point Bernard, they are healing. They are able to rid the body of these and recover. Not all, but many are doing this outside the traditional medical community.

http://books.google.com/books?id=NZ...nQY&sig=fsgC7PYoPNfA-7ww0a_-lCwpZ38#PPA215,M1

The yeast Candida albicans can be found inside of our intestinal tract, mouth and in the female genital tract. Sometimes this yeast overgrows and the doctor recognizes this overgrowth of yeast as a yeast infection of the female genital tract or in the mouth, where this infection is commonly called thrush.

Bacteria are also resident inside the intestinal tract, sharing space with the yeast. Antibiotics kill bacteria, not yeast. After the use of antibiotics the yeast grow to fill in the space left by the removal of the bacteria. Yeast make chemicals which kill bacteria, which enables the yeast to grow at a higher level, even after the antibiotics have been stopped.

Yeast make a number of chemical compounds which are then picked up and absorbed into the body. These compounds are quite toxic to the nervous system. These compounds include toxic alcohols and acetone, as well as the powerful nervous system poison hydrogen sulfide. Alcohols depress and slow the nervous system and acetone causes coma. These chemicals slow the brain down so that the brain no longer works correctly. These chemicals should be cleared by the liver so that these chemicals never reach the brain. However in some people, these chemicals are apparently not cleared, reach the brain, and cause mental symptoms.

When cells begin to manufacture improper chemicals they become very unhealthy, weak, and lose their natural immune system which leaves them open to invasion by viruses, bacterias, fungus, and parasites, which can result in a wide variety of health problems such as cancers, Candida Albicans (yeast), seizures, nerve deterioration and many more.

When the body is free of toxins and is nutritionally well- balanced, it is likely to respond better to other types of interventions. If the individual has sound sensitivity that is caused by a deficiency in magnesium, yeast overgrowth, mercury toxicity, or use of aspartame (i.e., NutraSweet), the biological treatments may correct the hypersensitive hearing.
http://www.berardaitwebsite.com/sait/newsletters/saitt35.html

To make matters worse, the Y/F overgrowth is swapping its wastes for your hormones, blood sugar and other nutrients. Consequently, you are always hungry and/or have rapid drops in blood sugar (glucose) levels. Such disruption interferes with cell replacement and with substances necessary for energy production. The result is fatigue, poor endurance, and weakness. Thus, Y/F are the major players in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, the so-called Epstein-Barr “nonvirus.” This syndrome may also involve damage to nerve transmission by toxic breakdown of neurotransmitters by acetaldehyde.
http://www.candidafree.net/resource_34.htm

yes that is the sort of thing I am reading too. Plus you think of some kids like Rebecca who have had 30 vaccines, you are lowering their threshold. It is a fascinating direction, and one that is finding it way around many neurological conditions. As is diet.

I just had a wonderful letter from DogtorJ (Dr. John), and he is gracious enough to let me post it. He will be joining our conversation as his schedule allows.

Hey Robin,

It's great to hear from you again. And that's exciting to hear. I'm keep thinking "This is the year!" and it's turning out to be 2007. :)

As you probably know, periods of time are often divided into 7-year increments and have been for millennia. I had my initial "revelation" about the (coming) impact of celiac disease and other food intolerances in April of 2000. It was about this time in 2000 that I was all excited about how epileptic dogs were responding to the diet. Of course, logic dictated that humans would respond in like fashion. After all, I had read about celiac children with epilepsy responding dramatically to gluten-free diets. As it turns out, those that didn't simply needed to restrict more things.

But the puzzle wasn't complete until I learned about the true nature of viruses...and the things that made them mad. That information came in April of 2006. Following that lead has pretty much put the puzzle together and showed how the lectins of the "big 4" (gluten, dairy, soy ands corn) along with chemicals/pollutants/carcinogens and malnutrition all contribute to that viral "uprising".

There are over 25 viruses known to cause seizures in people, many of which are chronic, latent and ubiquitous. These include Epstein Barr and a variety of herpes viruses, measles, mumps, and the Coxsackie virus, the guy who causes anything from mild, inapparent symptoms to severe illness. The latter is a clue and speaks to the spectrum of illness we experience, dictated greatly by the state of our health and immune system at the time of acquisition.

So, I now believe that the true underlying "cause" of epilepsy is the virus, some of which are embedded in our very genome. Researchers now believe that up to 40% of the genetic codes in our double-stranded DNA are actually viral codes placed there by past and present viruses (e.g. retroviruses), many of which are transmitted vertically (inherited). Sort of puts a new light on "genetics", doesn't it?

And the main role of the virus is to facilitate adaptation (as well as cause variation in nature). Many of the "diseases" we see are actually the result of viral adaptation, including cancer. Cancer arises in areas of chronic inflammation and the tumor is the viruses way of enduring the inflammation. I believe that epilepsy is no different. I now see the purpose and value in a seizure, with them being both therapeutic and acting as a warning sign. No matter what we die of, the brain dies from excess glutamate (glutamic acid) building up in the brain and killing neurons (just as it does in peripheral nerves in Lou Gehrig's Disease or ALS). The seizures is the brain's way of dealing with excess glutamate at the synapse so that the neuron doesn't die. They are therapeutic. It's just that we are doing soooooo much wrong that the seizures become incredibly frequent and violent, requiring medical intervention. The good news is that we can help tremendously by eliminating the true causes. That should make sense.

And that's what the diet is all about....the elimination of the foods and additives that are both triggering seizures and generating the inflammation that is leading to the viral "uprising". Then "all" we have to focus on are the environmental issues (air pollution, fluoride, mercury, etc.) that are also playing a role. The good news is that the foods are playing the biggest role, as proven by the dramatic results we have seen in dogs and rapidly growing number of humans. And the other good news is that we don't have to endure ketosis to experience these gains. NONE of the dogs that have stopped seizing (completely) on the diet had to come anywhere near ketosis to get it done. Thankfully, the medical profession is starting to see this for themselves with the use of the "modified Atkins diet", a diet that eliminates some but not all of what I recommend we restrict in the G.A.R.D. Their close but their failures can easily be explained through the eyes of the G.A.R.D..

I'm excited that you are discussing this on the forum. I would be glad to jump in there. Perhaps we can even post this letter as a sort of introduction if you want to. I will try to get on-line with you as soon as I can.

Thanks again for the contact,

John

I can't wait to discuss this idea with him. So please watch for some ground shaking ideas and information in the near future.

THE ASTHMA IS ALSO A SIGN OF A FUNGAL INFECTION IN THE GUT, IMO (IN MY OPINION). I'VE OBSERVED EITHER ECZEMA OR ASTHMA IN PEOPLE WITH THIS INFECTION. MY PERSONAL BELIEVE IS THIS INFECTION IS AT THE CORE OF AUTISM ALL TOGETHER. THE INFECTION CAUSES THE IMMUNE SYSTEM TO BE MORE SUSCEPTIBLE TO ENVIRONMENTAL TOXINS AND VACCINES AND THE COMBINATION IS WHAT OFTEN TAKES THESE KIDS INTO AUTISM. THE INFECTION ALSO CREATES OXALATE CRYSTALS WHICH CAN GET LODGED IN THE LUNGS AND CAUSE ASTHMA. THE INFECTION CAN ALSO GET INTO THE BLOOD STREAM AND GROW ON THE INSIDE OF THE SKIN (ECZEMA) AND GET LODGED INTO SOFT TISSUE (KNUCKLE CRACKING, NECK CRACKING, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS, ETC).
written by Stan Kurtz
http://www.childrenscornerschool.com/stankurtz.htm
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/mb12valtrex/

Calcium oxalate is a chemical compound that forms needle-shaped crystals

HISTORY AND FINDINGS: Ten days after a complication-free operation for early gastric cancer a 61-year old man had a seizure and acute renal failure. INVESTIGATIONS: A percutaneous renal biopsy was performed to find the cause of the renal failure, which at times required several sessions of haemodialysis. TREATMENT AND COURSE: The seizure was thought to have been due to cerebrovascular deposits of oxalate crystals (renocerebral oxalosis). Parenteral xylitol had been given postoperatively, as a glucose substitute (total dose 1560g), together with other routine drugs. Primary oxalosis and other causes of secondary oxalosis had been excluded. CONCLUSION: Xylitol should not be used parenterally as a glucose substitute (banned in the USA).

PMID: 11727161 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Abstract
Epilepsy is a common neurological disorder; however, in Nigeria and other tropical regions, the causes of epileptic seizures differ greatly in etiology. This paper is an attempt to highlight some possible microbiological aspects of epileptic seizures. A literature review was carried out to identify the extent to which microbial infections were involved in the elicitation of epileptic seizures. Data were collected from several clinics in the community and hospitals in Nigeria and correlated with the evidence from the literature review. It was found that different microbial agents including viral, bacterial, protozoa, and fungal agents were involved in several aspects of epileptic seizures. Malaria was found to cause more than 88% of childhood epileptic seizures and 12% of adult seizures. Generalized tonic-clonic seizures occurred in more than 40% of adult patients. Partial seizures were uncommon. Cases of epileptic seizures associated with bacteria (e.g., brucellosis), viral, fungal, and protozoa infections were frequently reported. Malaria, tapeworm, and cysticercosis were some of the common infectious causes of epilepsy; however, in some cases, the cause remained unknown. From these findings, it was evident that microbiological aspects of epilepsies are possible research areas that might be developed. It is believed that the unraveling of the various microbiological factors in epileptic seizures would have important implications for understanding the underlying neurobiology, evaluating treatment strategies, and perhaps planning health-care resources for the affected. It will also help to improve the prognostic factors in initial seizure symptomatic etiology and presence of any structural cerebral abnormalities.
http://www.thescientificworld.com/S...=Main&ArticleId=1753&navFrom=Main&From=Result

Fungal and viral issues are being reported in other neurological disorders, why isn't it considered more in seizure disorders?

Spirals and Syndromes

Is this a private conversation??? LOL

I thought I would chime in here because I saw a pattern of comments that is worth commenting on. It has been distinguishing between primary versus secondary issues or causes versus triggers that has been the main focus of my work/research over the past 7 years. It has become painfully clear how many of the conditions we see are actually "syndromes" and how one things leads to another and suddenly we're in this vortex...this spiral...that takes us down or out. That's why I called my first major paper "The Answer- To Why is the Plane of Our Nation's Health in a Death Spiral." The spiral is the worst part.

For instance, you pointed out the role of Candida. Candida infections are a hot topic and have been a popular diagnosis over the past few years. And they are real and do all that you mention. BUT, they, like viruses, are secondary to over-stimulation and immune failure. There is no such thing as a primary bacterial or fungal infection. They are always secondary to tissue damage, concurrent illness, compromised local immunity or generalized immune incompetence. Strep throat is a good example, being secondary to viral infections, food allergies (e.g. milk), severe inhalant allergies (which are secondary to food intolerance, I am convinced), etc. Strep is a normal inhabitant of the pharynx of dogs, cats, birds and people. He's an opportunist, "waiting" for a chance to dig in, just like Candida...and Helicobacter.

Helicobacter pylori is another great example. This guy is a normal inhabitant of the stomach of the dog, cats and person and yet he has been implicated in the development of gastric ulcers, atherosclerosis, and even cancer. In fact, the toxins he produces are being looked at in neurodegenerative diseases. How and why does a normal inhabitant go so bad? He gets his opportunity when we insult the stomach and create a "bed" for him to lie in. Then, as we continue the insults, he creates a deep ulcer in the stomach. Then, as the spiral worsens and our immune system goes down by our doing the very same things that started the ulcer to begin with (e.g. food-related issues), Helicobacter jumps into the bloodstream and goes to distant locations. A shocking study done by cardiologists a number of years ago showed that a whopping 80% of atherosclerotic plaques removed from diseased carotid arteries and coronary vessels were positive for Helicobacter (in that one study). The entry of this guy into the bloodstream could very well be the act that triggers the long time-in-development vascular event called a stroke or heart attack.

And how did it develop? The trans fats set the stage for the atherosclerosis, the food intolerance set the stage for the stomach ulcer and the immune failure, the lectins of the "big 4" contributed to the inflammation in the vessel wall, and this normal resident bacteria of the stomach (Heliconbacter) was the guy who acted as the match that lit the fuse to this long-term explosive. This analogy can be applied to so many diseases/syndromes. And at the root of it all is our diet. Certainly, there are many contributing factors but the root is the diet, I am convinced.

So, it is we who keep giving these opportunistic organisms their chance. It is a sowing and reaping thing. It is we who keep throwing carcinogens at the latent viruses in our body (which have been there for years, some handed down in our genes) that finally start causing cancer. We develop cancer when we do because our immune system finally loses its grasp on the escalating situation. It took the viruses being present, the carcinogens and the immune failure for the cancer to develop, with the food intolerances, malnutrition, immunosuppressive pollutants, lack of proper rest/sleep, life's stresses, concurrent illnesses, and more all contributing to the immune suppression. The spiral tightens and bad things happen and they happen suddenly in many,many cases. But, it is usually a matter of the manifestation being another case of what we call "acute on chronic illness"...an acute (sudden) manifestation of a chronic (long term) problem.

And this is the main reason why my focus is on diet and the food intolerances. They set the stage for soooo many of these occurrences and the elimination of the trouble foods, including any secondary offenders (those food allergies that occur as a result of the leaky gut) can allow miracles to happen. Epilepsy is but one of those miracles, as we eliminate those things that are driving the viruses involved in epilepsy crazy as well as the things handcuffing the immune system. When we read about Dr. D' Adamo's work (Eating Right For Your Blood Type), we see a vast array of conditions that have responded to elimination diets, including lupus, diabetes, peripheral neuropathies and much more. And it all makes sense.

As I am fond of saying, "If we're not getting better, we just haven't done enough right...yet." :) In some cases, we can do enough right and in others, that seems like an insurmountable task, especially when we consider the huge role of air pollution in neurodegenerative diseases. But, we can even deal with that if we are driven to reach our greatest potential. Some of it boils down to motivation, which usually comes from understanding.

Spirals and syndromes- this is how we need to look at many of those things that are plaguing us, our children and our pets. Once we do that, we can start picking away at the components and really get somewhere.

I hope this helps,
John

John B. Symes, D.V.M. (aka "Dogtor J")

DogtorJ and all,
The laugh is on me! I had gone off my gluten free diet, thinking I'd overcome my "acquired" intolerance. Well, my concentration and moods were so off, it seemed like the diet, so went back on the gluten free. This time, it was possible to test out sensitivity to soy, and yes, it also sets of symptoms. Within this first week, my sleep and concentration are much better.
Over the years, some of the best sites I've found for epilepsy research have been from veterinarian schools. There ought to be more writing on what these studies may indicate about seizures in humans.
If we start looking at what is happening in the brain, the changes in respiration, cerebral blood flow, and metabolism, when a seizure starts we will get a better picture of how the various factors may trigger them. Over 20 years go, Rober Fried, PhD, did an amazing study on seizures. It was not a large study, but I believe everyone in the study benefitted from it.
In the study his subjects monitored the CO2 levels in their blood and their brain wave activity while practicing slow diaphragmatic breathing. These are what change so dramatically in order for a seizure to happen. By altering this, people can learn ways to adapt to imbalances and regulate seizure activity.
When we have an reaction to foods, whatever, they are going to cause an irritation which will affect our nervous system, heart rate, breathing, in ways that can set a seizure in motion. The physical irritation to the brain, such as from excess glutamate, can damage cells and eventually create a seizure focus. This can be altered over time by removing the causes of the irritation such as with gluten intolerance.
Fried's book, "The Breath Connection" gives an excellent "alternative" view some professionals take on seizures [metabolic derangement, vs a bad brain]. The book is out of print but is available through inter library loan. He has a chapter in it showing the connection between migraines and seizures. His more current book, "Breathe Well, Be Well," is excellent too, with a breath training program, but does not give the coverage of seizure disorders found in "Breath Connection." The change in breathing is one of the few constants preceding all seizures, and working on this aspect can do much to bring them under control.
I really need to learn more about what changes are taking place when we are having reactions to food etc. to get a better picture on how various approaches to manage them may help.
Zoe

WOW! WOW! WOW!

So much good info! Do you know more about the connection to the Epstein-Barr virus and epilepsy? I had mono when I was 14 and had my first seizure later that year.

Also, my oldest son has very mild Asperger's and his alternative drs. have always said he had a problem with candida and gut permability.

Keep posting! This is GREAT!

Considering the mounting scientific evidence that viral and bacterial infections and the vaccines used to prevent them are capable of producing a wide range of immune and neurological dysfunction, it is somewhat strange from a scientific (although not a political) standpoint that a young British gastroenterologist would have been subjected to personal attacks by the medical community when he and 13 colleagues at Royal Free Hospital in London presented evidence in 1998 (The Lancet, Feb. 27, http://www.thelancet.com) that measles infection and measles vaccine may be linked to the development of inflammatory bowel disease and autism in previously healthy, normally developing children.

Andrew Wakefield, M.D. and his team had inadvertently stumbled upon the connection while studying Crohn’s disease and other inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) in children. The mother of one of Wakefield’s young patients, Rosemary Kessick, urged him to look for the biological mechanism for simultaneous development of IBD and autistic behavior in previously normal children. The Wakefield report reviewed the medical factors common to eight out of 12 previously normal children who simultaneously developed severe intestinal disorders and autistic behaviors. Previously, five of those eight children had reacted adversely to vaccinations. All reported onset of symptoms of IBD and autism after MMR vaccination.

In their discussion of the interaction between the immune, nervous and gastrointestinal systems of the body, Wakefield and his associates remarked that Asperger in 1961 had observed that there was a high rate of gastrointestinal (celiac) disease in those suffering with autism. (In 1944, Asperger had identified a subgroup of high functioning "borderline" autistics.) The authors hypothesized that persistent viral infection, either from natural disease or live virus vaccines, can cause chronic inflammation of the bowel and damage to the central nervous system development in some children.

They pointed to the "opioid excess" theory of autism, first suggested by Panksepp in 1979 and then by Shattock (1991) and Reichelt (1993) that autistic disorders result from the incomplete breakdown and excessive absorption of gut-derived peptides from foods, including barley, rye, oats and casein from milk and dairy products leading to disruption of normal brain functioning and development. As these gut-derived peptides get into the blood and cross the blood brain barrier, where they are not supposed to be, they negatively affect the ability of the body to maintain appropriate endorphin, serotonin and dopamine levels in the brain.
http://www.909shot.com/Diseases/autismsp.htm

I have a son also with High Functioning Aspergers. It took my daughters first seizure, for me to find some of this information, and now I am wondering if there is more of a connection than I thought.
She has had learning disabilities, beginning with speech, then processing difficulties. Certainly not on the traditional autistic spectrum, but could possibly run hand in hand, as speech is an issue with both. I began seeing problems with speech around the time she would have received many vaccines at approx 18 months. Then more regression at the time of her boosters.

If you have any info on Epstein Barr, please share some links.

I know my AS child has intestinal issues, I am more than sure that my daughter does too, and considering that my middle one does but isn't showing major trauma other than allergies and vitiligo. This stuff can migrate to the brain as well.

So glad there is someone else that I can chat with on this subject. This particular group doesn't seem to see the connection.

Now then one question I have brewing... if antibiotics can cause a heyday in the intestines, what are the AED's doing in there. Seems like it might be a cesspool of chemicals. I know they help some, just like antibiotics do too, but we need to counterbalance the good with the good.

not sure where to post this

not sure if its appropriate.
:ponder:

It is very relevant Shelley. When I first saw that video I was speechless. I still can't understand how this could be allowed in vaccines. It is in many flu vaccines, which of course we are pushing on the elderly. .... Think there might be a connection to Alzheimers?
Grrrrr!

Re-reading some of these posts is so good from time to time. The information that is difficult to understand the first go-around is finally understood with greater knowledge.

Dogtor J has such a common sense approach to this subject. I bless the day that I "met" that man. He has taught me more in one year than any doctor has over my lifetime. Plus he gives the information for free.

Last edited:
Abstract
http://www.thescientificworld.com/S...=Main&ArticleId=1753&navFrom=Main&From=Result

Fungal and viral issues are being reported in other neurological disorders, why isn't it considered more in seizure disorders?

Its not being reported perhaps because it doesn't fit with the current dogma. Any of the illnesses causing inflammation in the brain, as with viral encephalitis, is going to make the brain more seizure prone. These are some great articles and it's nice to see Dogtorj's post too!

wow Shelley...that is an amazing video...can I get the link to that video? I would love for my family and my daughters nutritionist and pediatrician to see it. My nutritionist has been telling me about mercury for about 3 years now. I can't belive that that stuff actually goes into vaccinations. could the same thing happen to my 3 year old if she gets the same vacs? Do all the vacs have mercury in them? And if you don't want them how do you refuse the docs? Especially if they require them for school?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom