24 hr Telemetry/Video EEg monitoring

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

rory

New
Reaction score
Hi all. had my 4 month check up with my neuro today. keeping me on the same pills and dosage. my eeg was normal but my mri showed my left mesial temporal lobe its shrunken which lends credence to the epilepsy diagnosis. what he now wants to do and because its Ireland it could take up to 6 months to get it done is have me into hospital for 5 days for a constant eeg and video monitoring. i hate hospitals and really would like to avoid it ut i suppose i cant. he says hes 80 percent sure its tle but if its not what the hell is it?
there were medical students there so i didnt get to ask questions and the whole visit seemed rather hurried unlike the first time. im now confused and wondering what is gonna happen.
also im a smoker, how do i get out of the hospital to smoke hooked up to machines.
can people tell me about it?
if they find nothing what then?
im allover the place again and things were going well, seizures had drastically diminished and now an impending hospital stay and a possible change of diagnosis, Help...............

if u werent having more seizures why did he recommend video eeg in hospital iv done both where u can take it home and in hospital normally u have to be uncontrolled but u are in another country and here no smoking sorry maybe different.they hook u up to the eeg until u have enough seizures to the docs satisfactory and there is a camera on you 24/7 and all the leads r attached the whole time to your head they wrap them in a a brade type of thing it would be nice to have a family member there cause the staff just checks on you about every hr there is tv u can bring movies it's boring it depends on your seizures how long your in there .ugh just got done with a home one and it is better to be in ur own environment more than likely to seize.good luck

he wants to be sure it comes from the mesial temporal lobe, it sounds like torture to be honest, and my seizures have decreased to i dont get really why he wants me to do it, maybe hes just really finicky. not looking forward to it at all. i dont think we do home ones over here, maybe the head epilepsy guy has the facilities for it but by all accounts he is an ass cause he was the first epileptologist in the country and all the other neuros are in awe of him

Well, I hade a VEEG that lasted 5 days. I dont think having a 1 day VEEG would be that bad. But Im assuming he wants you to do it to see what kind of seizure activity would show up. Alot of neurologist have this done, to determine if the seizures could be epileptic seizures or non epileptic seizures. But like me, I had simple partial seizures, with some seizure activity that showed up on my VEEG, and some seizures didnt register on the EEG. Of course after doing some research on simple partial seizures, I found out that alot of seizures are too deep within the brain to register. As long as the medication is controlling them, thats all I care about.

Back
Top Bottom