5 day Video EEG/ maybe no seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Jan4you

New
Reaction score
Just met with my epileptologist on my 3rd day of inpatient video EEG.

She said my EEG looks excellent..so far no events or abnormalities.

She also thinks maybe stress was inducing some of the changes I was experiencing, like Jamais vu, getting lost driving..dejevu in last hospitalization..losing memory and blacking out a work in past. So she is going to reduce one of my doses of Neurontin to see if anything shows up on EEG while I am here.

The fact that I was in the middle of an MS exacerbation while experiencing these partial seizures..may play a part. Who the heck knows?

I am just a bit discouraged to go through 5 days of being cooped on in room with 2 cameras on me..and nothing is happening.

Any ideas? :ponder:

Jan

You aren't alone, Jan. I only had one seizure during a 5-day eeg, and it was a minor one. It's why they usually take you off your seizure meds, cold turkey, while you are in the hospital. They do that in order to try to provoke a seizure. It may take more than one try at the inpatient eeg to get something.

Hello my dear Endless..can count on your with such a quick response. Thank you so much.

I told you coming onto this forum I was not sure I was actually having seizures..but defiitely has some elements. And I do not think having an MS exacerbation was a coincidence. So maybe these events are not epileptic in nature.

When I met with the epi doc early Monday before the admission I told her I was not having any signs of seizure activity for awhile but for a second or two of a scent during the night. Not even my periods of goosebumps for awhile. I have been having those episode of paralysis.

So.. what an expensively boring week of being evaluated and nothing will come of it. I am more than discouraged. Not that i want seizures, but geez. She also knows of my kidney problem and how that can affect the nature of all these disoders.

Thanks though for being my buddy..:woot:

Jan

My first 5 day video eeg.

I didn't have a seizure till i was dressed and walking out of the door.

best of luck.

Hi Jan,
Sorry you are going through this boring time. Have you asked why they can't take you off all your seizure meds while you are in the hospital? Are they trying to provoke a seizure? hyperventilate, lights? etc?
If nothing else...try to relax and enjoy the time. :)

Hey Guys.. I guess I just needed to hear from you. I knew going in that she probably would not get an "event" abnormal reading. I told her I have not had any signs or seizures for awhile. I was getting waves of goosebumps for weeks and weeks and yes she wanted me to record that if I felt it here.

Well..not a one goosebump!!

But when she told me that she is not sure I am having seizures..I just became deflated. This all started again in January with a jamais vu.. I never even heard of that. She said the EEG in the last hosp visit in March had some abnormal signs.

I guess I am just having a pity party.. of one!!

There are 2 cameras on.. no hyperventilation except when I came in after he hooked up the electrodes. No sleep deprivation. NOW she is reducing my neurontin by 1 pill for 1 day then I go home. GEEZ..what a waste of time and money.

Whaaa..whaaa whaaaa :rock:

Jan

I'm not sure if it was an EEG that I was having done, my memory is horrible and this was about 3 years ago. But I was having some sort of test done where they were decreasing my meds to see where the damage was in my brain, if that's what you would call it, and if I could have surgery or a VNS.

I was shut up in a room in a bed the whole time. Even if I had to go to the bathroom I had to buzz for a nurse to come and get me out of bed and stand outside of the bathroom door to make sure I didn't have a sez while I was in there.

It wasn't so bad. If you have any hobbies or things that you do in your spare time bring them along. I read, crochet and do crossword puzzles mostly. I could basically do whatever I wanted with no one there to bother me. I think the best was I could watch what ever I wanted to watch on tv with out my husband there flipping around the channels and finding a new program to watch ever 15 minutes!

As someone said above, enjoy the time!

Jan,

I'm really surprised she didn't just take you off the neurontin, plus do some sleep deprivation, pulsing lights, hyperventilation. Maybe some of that will come on the last day. Sorry about the waste of time. At least maybe you got some rest? Now if they had good food, they'd be on to something there. ;)

Well even though they are not doing any more seizure inducing activities like hyperventation..she did reduce one dose of Neurontin. During the night, I started getting goosebumps which is what I was getting nearly daily until a few weeks ago. That is a autonomic symptom. Then early this AM I smelled a burnt smell but for only a second or two..wasn't even sure. The tech is checkin on it now.

I just felt discouraged that I am here all this week and they won't learn anything. Makes me wonder if I even have seizures. What other reasons would I "space out"..and smell things??

Thanks for your responses,

Oh..they are going to do my VER evoked potential test while I am here which is for the MS doc. Another waste of time whether its positive or neg. It supposedly tells her how slow my brain is sending signals to the optic nerves as my vision is so blurry.

Jan

Back
Top Bottom