Abdominal Epilepsy?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Anyone ever heard of abdominal seizures/epilsepsy?
I am in the process of a 3 day EEG right now. I had one 20 minute EEG that showed spikes in my left parietal lobe.

So, I have been researching and came across abdominal epilepsy. It has something to do with the vagus nerve.

When I was young...11 and up. I would get 'sick' about every two to three weeks or so. No fever or real illness.

I would usually wake up in the middle of the night with severe abdominal cramps...then I would have severe diarrhea and vomit at the same time. I would be sitting on the toilet with my mom holding the trash can for me to vomit it. I would go back to bed and wake up like nothing ever happened, other then a headache/

That is right around the same time I began to have migraines. The abdominal cramps and vomiting lasted into my eariler twenties. In my 30 and 40's, I just get the abdominal cramping and diarrhea....and not very often anymore.

I went to gastroenterologist as a child, underwent many tests....and they determined I had a 'nervous stomach' and IBS.

Nothing ever helped and I still have the migraines and now maybe seizures.....I wonder if I really have been having seizures all my life?

Any thoughts??

Yes I think a few other folks here at CWE have experienced abdominal E, or their children have. There also is a strong link between a gluten-allergy and seizures, especially in kids. I don't know if you've tried the gluten-free diet yet, but you might want to consider it to see if it helps with the GI stuff and the seizures.

Hi--

I've never heard of abdominal seizures/epilepsy...but I've wondered about it because I myself, when I feel like I'm going to pass out/seizure, also need to use the washroom. And I've never seen a doctor for this directly as I thought it was a bit silly, but I have found it to be directly related as everytime I need to use the washroom, and have that odd fuzzy feeling in my head..i tend to pass out.

I also have had nights when I have muscle spasms in my stomach and feel like I will seize because of it.

Not sure how it all relates! But I'm pretty sure it does somehow...

I too had the problems with "abdominal seizures." I went on the GARD and I haven't had one in over a year. I have other sensory related seizures; temporal lobe kind of stuff. I'd try changing your diet.

If I remember rightly, Edgar Caycee was the one who talked at length about such seizures; reading his papers validated what was going on with me. I never did his therapy routine. The diet saved me.

daisy.girl, my partials are abdominal. I've had them for several years now. They're mostly controlled with Carbatrol. There have never been bladder or other problems; they're just painful.

Last edited:
i was already diagnosed with epilepsy and went to the doctor with these seizures and he told me i had a spazmodic colon - not sure if this helps?

i was already diagnosed with epilepsy and went to the doctor with these seizures and he told me i had a spazmodic colon - not sure if this helps?

I am curious as to the cause of the spazmodic colon and what the doctor suggested that you do about it.

he never mentioned a cause, but gave me some anti-spazmodic medication. my consultant at the neuro clinic suggested that it was more of a side effect from the medication that i was taking at the time though.

Back
Top Bottom