About my job - again.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Trinity

New
Reaction score
Well for those who have read my previous posts about my job (see the original post here http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com...et-have-something-just-because-you-want-4612/ ) i'm really upset to say that my principal referred my case to regional office and i'm now on light duties until they assess my case. They had to take me to my class to get all my things. I kinda thought i'd at least make it to the end of the school year (5 weeks away here). I still get paid at least til the end of my contract plus holiday and leave loading - which takes me through to 3rd February. I'm just hoping my previous positive experience in mainstream (last year) will mean that I won't be told I can't teach again ever in the public sector - that would be crushing.

Hi Trinity. Like you, I have E and I'm a special ed. teacher. I've been really lucky in that I have a string of fantastic classroom aides. In fact, my current one also has E. What I found is that I had to learn to leave work at work and not bring it home with me. You can't help anyone if you're not taking care of yourself. So if certain chores don't get done, oh well. My hubby knows how to cook, clean, and wash his own clothes. He was doing that before he met me, and he knows that when I'm stressed, or have a lot to do, that he needs to pitch in and help me. From your previous post it sounds like you're trying to be everything to everyone. And I'll tell you, you can't. When I'm at school, my kids get me attention. When I'm at home, my family gets my attention. But even they know that I need my own "me" time, and they love me enough to give that to me. Sweetie, you have to learn to take care of yourself and to prioritize. Also, I try to organize all my IEP's a month in advance, and then write down specific days on my calendar when I work on them during my prep time. Trust me, I know what it's like to try to juggle meetings, IEP's , family, checking homework, and all the other everyday things that people do. What I'm suggesting is not that you work harder, but that you work smarter. For example, I teach Algebra 1. Now I would be swamped if I checked every single problem on every paper. Instead, I have an aide that picks 10 random problems on each paper and checks them. Then all I have to do is enter the grades in my gradebook. I don't know what level you teach, or where. But you might also want to check with your union rep. What is the principal's reason for putting you on light duty? I've had grand mals in class, and my principals have never even thought of putting me on light duty. Anyway, check with your union rep and see if they'll help you. Maybe it's just the principal being scared of epilepsy. But whatever the case, remember, you need to prioritize and organize. I hope that all goes well.

Sorry - I meant alternative duties. I'm sitting at a desk and they will give me book covering, photocopying etc to do. There is a 16 page report but basically the big issue is that i'm having difficulty managing the behaviours of my kids - mostly with moderate to severe autism. I am completely swamped and I feel like I could do a better job if I wasn't being pulled in each and every direction and if I didn't have to stay up late to do work and feel like I was drugged in the morning.

Oh wow! You work with severe handicap kids! I work with Learning disabled kids. An easier bunch to deal with. Autism is difficult. Have you had courses specifically designed for dealing with autistic students behavior? If not, while you're on light duty, you might want to see if you can take a course. That way, it shows the school that you're being proactive.

Back
Top Bottom